Kharon Acquisitor Size

Afternoon all,

I'm considering putting together an allied detachment of Sisters of Silence to join my Ultramarines in the near future. Still considering what I'd want to include model wise, but likely will include a squad in an Acquisitor.

Problem is I really don't like the Acquisitor model. So in thinking of alternatives, I'm immediately drawn to the Impulsor as a basis for an Emperor's Gift style flying Rhino. 

Would anybody who owns both models mind posting a size comparison?

And while we're at it, does anyone else have ideas to convert their own version?

I built my Mars pattern Acquisitor out of the Mechanicus hovercraft, not entirely happy with the meltas but not had a cheap hovercraft come up since to experiment :D Should be roughly the same size but i lost my comparison workings out in a computer crash :/ 

51987126764_92309e5ed8_o.jpg275900215_10159916209675797_2629040198419376100_n 

The Acquisitor is awesome. How dare you?!

That said, I think Noserenda is onto something suggesting the Admech hovercraft as the basis of a conversion. The Acquisitor's defining feature is that it's an assault vehicle with a door at the front. The Impulsor is a lot smaller, open-topped and has no front door. A Repulsor would be closer to the right size but still has no front door.

On 11/11/2022 at 1:56 PM, Mandragola said:

The Acquisitor is awesome. How dare you?!

That said, I think Noserenda is onto something suggesting the Admech hovercraft as the basis of a conversion. The Acquisitor's defining feature is that it's an assault vehicle with a door at the front. The Impulsor is a lot smaller, open-topped and has no front door. A Repulsor would be closer to the right size but still has no front door.

I get why people like it but it just dosen't work for me sadly. 

My current thinking is maybe to use a Galdiator instead for the sealed hull, and weapons can be mounted on the turret/sponsons, and extend the fuselage forward using the assault ramp parts from the Land Raider Proteus and plasti-card. Won't be quite as tall as the official model so I'll probably build a higher support into the base. After that I think I'd add some gubbins to the back to keep the overall silouette as similar to the official one as possible

Here are a couple of pics of it next to a land raider that I’m currently working on. As you can see the hulls are about the same length (if you ignore the fin). The acquisitor is a bit taller and quite a lot narrower. The squares on my mat are cm so you can see the rough dimensions. 

EB8E9396-384B-403F-A7E6-DF536838BD30.thumb.jpeg.0209ab5fe2e102c37a2e2b4d922bc9e1.jpeg

50B2C793-786B-4E27-AA31-E364DA690AAC.thumb.jpeg.64c41a9c9247be66bf7a941fe7f03a19.jpeg

I’m not sure what to suggest for the hull really, though a lengthened Gladiator might be about right. The LR Proteus is a great kit so you could take its doors, plus the front half of the roof with cupola and gun mounts if you wanted, and still build a complete explorator. Im actually thinking of using those parts to heresy-fy a Mars-class Rhino for my Ravenguard.  

Sidenote: a knight I never got round to finishing had to “donate” it’s base to the Acquisitor. I’ll order it a new one some day. 

Edit: Bit of a crazy thought but have you considered starting with a Storm Eagle and taking the wings off?

Edited by Mandragola

Ok here’s a Kharon next to a Storm Raven.  

3A770D60-A699-46AA-BC3A-8AC38E872A90.thumb.jpeg.27baedb567b95d6ef9527e28134b181c.jpeg

I think this is actually a fairly good match, especially with that assault ramp at the front. Leave the wings off, see if you can get the engines on where the rear ramp goes and you’d be 90% there. The tail, maybe minus the elevators, would be pretty close to the right profile. Then just replace the guns with something else. You could use plasticard to seal up the pilot’s seat and build an armoured cockpit where the servitor’s turret goes. 

1 hour ago, Mandragola said:

Here are a couple of pics of it next to a land raider that I’m currently working on. As you can see the hulls are about the same length (if you ignore the fin). The acquisitor is a bit taller and quite a lot narrower. The squares on my mat are cm so you can see the rough dimensions. 

EB8E9396-384B-403F-A7E6-DF536838BD30.thumb.jpeg.0209ab5fe2e102c37a2e2b4d922bc9e1.jpeg

50B2C793-786B-4E27-AA31-E364DA690AAC.thumb.jpeg.64c41a9c9247be66bf7a941fe7f03a19.jpeg

I’m not sure what to suggest for the hull really, though a lengthened Gladiator might be about right. The LR Proteus is a great kit so you could take its doors, plus the front half of the roof with cupola and gun mounts if you wanted, and still build a complete explorator. Im actually thinking of using those parts to heresy-fy a Mars-class Rhino for my Ravenguard.  

Sidenote: a knight I never got round to finishing had to “donate” it’s base to the Acquisitor. I’ll order it a new one some day. 

Edit: Bit of a crazy thought but have you considered starting with a Storm Eagle and taking the wings off?

Thanks @Mandragola that's a really helpful comparison shot. I was thinking about getting a Explorator for my Ultramarines, hence I'd considered the assault ramp from the kit for my conversion. But didn't realise so much of the front of the carrier isn't shared with the Explorator so that might make life easier for me. I think the Gladiator base is what I'll go for. A Storm Eagle is a good suggestion, but I'd be nervous about using so expensive a kit. New from GW it would be £105 for a LR Proteus and Galdiator, compared to £137.50 for a Storm Eagle. 

As others have said, Acquisitors are essential for SoS, so just not using them isn't really an option for an army that actually has a chance. But life is too short to buy and paint models one doesn't actually like!

Edit: Just saw the Storm Raven comparison you must have posted while I was writing. Definitely an option worth considering as well. Think it would be better base than a storm eagle.

Edited by Casual Heresy

Ahh I see I originally wrote storm Eagle. I'd always actually meant the Raven. I wouldn't spend more than the cost of a Kharon to make one!

I forgot about the Raven's wing missiles. I'm sure there'd be a way to use those on the conversion, maybe over the side doors, to represent the thing's missile launchers. Then put some sort of multi-barreled gun in the front mount to be the cannon array, or just use the multimelta.

FWIW I think Kharons are only really needed to carry around the sword sisters and as basically your only anti-tank (perhaps an argument for that melta after all?). Sneaky sisters with guns don't need it and neither to the judgey ones (who either walk and shoot guns or ride on jetbikes). An allied detachment can only have one HQ, meaning you have to pick whether to unlock sword sisters or judgey ones. I think a case can actually be made for running judgey sisters in an allied detachment, because the silent judge is just so cool. She makes her unit count as 12" further away, she gives you +1VP for slay the warlord and she can turn up with a big gun if you want. An Abyssal Knight is very mean in a challenge but it's easy enough to make killy marine characters.

None of that is relevant to making Kharons though, so I'll go away and maybe write a list.