First game, initial thoughts

First game today, Warhammer World. 1000 points of Votann with 1000 points of White Scars against 2000 points of Speed Freaks. We called it a high scoring draw, we got lucky with secondaries playing Tempest of War missions.

Uthar failed his only charge, needing 6, rolled 5 the command re rolled to a 2! However, the amount of firepower needed to take him down is scary. 

Grimnyr was pleasantly good. Got majority of powers off and smited a dakka jet. Went for Fortify and CP one.

Heathkyn died in droves, 1 wound is an issue. Medic definitely auto include but preferred to ion to bolters, just more work from them.

Hernkyn only got one round of shooting before a nob biker took them out. Surprisingly fragile.

Sagitaur. MVP. Shooting was excellent and managed to survive 2 rounds of combat against some bikers.

Beserks. Very glass cannon. Got a charge against some scrapjets  but only managed 12 damage with their mauls due to good saves. Got wiped in response!

overall loved it. It was my first game of 9th, been playing Horus Heresy, and still feel it is too bloated. Now got to get some more models to get my points up!

I played my first 1000points game with them last night as well with some similar results. Went up against Destroyer Cult Necrons who chewed through the warriors with ease. Small board size did mean it was hard to hide anything while still playing the mission so the bikes went down before they could do anything either. 

Sagitaur did solid for me. Absorbed a lot of firepower before a Skorpekh Lord chopped it in half. 

Beserks were great for me. They charged in and killed a unit of Skorpekhs and a Skorpekh Lord in one turn. Slowed down units with their strat which helped. And when they did eventually get caught, the fight on death ability meant they killed the unit that killed them. 

My MVP though was the Einhyr Champ with the relic hammer. By the end of the game only he and my Kahl were left and he just kept walking through units and punching them off objectives. He accounted for 6 skorpekhs, a skorpekh lord and 4 lokhust destroyers while using his 6" advance in turn 5 to steal an objective and win me the game. 

I played as USR and did find the extra toughness really useful. Going to try out some of the other subfactions going forward, but with the amount of strength 5 attacks the Necrons had, it really upped my survivability in a number of situations.

• 2 months later...

I have played against them several times now in lower points (<1000) with my necrons. The basic infantry put out some nasty firepower but die to pretty much anything. The bikes are in the same boat. In all three games I have played, I have pretty much had my tomb blades solo every unit my opponent presented before the rest of the army even gets a chance. I havent come against the bigger vehicles yet so I cant speak for them. After all the hype I expected so much more. That all of my weapons are D1 and a good chunk of them have no AP just means pure volume of fire is bad for them and quite a few of their durability special abilities really dont matter to me. I am still shocked by how easy the generic lords are to take down. Their really high points cost and non-flexible units are also a real killer in practice.

Edited by Galron

34 minutes ago, Galron said:

After all the hype I expected so much more.

The hype is based on people's first impression, which was a busted OP codex. The fact that Votann did not even make it to launch with their original power level is irrelevant... once people make their first impression, that it that.

Votann will have to suffer for a while until people realize they are in fact not even remotely close to OP.

39% win rate so far in Arks of Omen!

On 1/25/2023 at 9:09 PM, phandaal said:

The hype is based on people's first impression, which was a busted OP codex. The fact that Votann did not even make it to launch with their original power level is irrelevant... once people make their first impression, that it that.

Votann will have to suffer for a while until people realize they are in fact not even remotely close to OP.

39% win rate so far in Arks of Omen!

People still bemoan Eldar and Tau as 'power gamer armies' for the sins of 6th and 7th edition.

We've got a while to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had a few games at 1500 and 2k and they’ve been really fun for me and the opponent, I’ve played against chaos daemons, chaos knights Tau, Tyranids and custodes so far. I always play as USR because it fits my army’s lore of being belligerent survivors. I think the extra toughness makes a massive difference and the “all targets count as having at least one judgement token” thing frequently comes in clutch. The Lord Grymir with murmuring stave is excellent and I always bring a champ with Aktols fortress to punk some nasty combat threat which gets into my lines. And beserks are heart eyes emoji, never leave home without a squad of 10. Sagitaurs are my next addition to the army because mobility is often an issue for me, even with 2 squads of pioneers.

On 2/5/2023 at 12:03 PM, Danosborne said:

I’ve had a few games at 1500 and 2k and they’ve been really fun for me and the opponent, I’ve played against chaos daemons, chaos knights Tau, Tyranids and custodes so far. I always play as USR because it fits my army’s lore of being belligerent survivors. I think the extra toughness makes a massive difference and the “all targets count as having at least one judgement token” thing frequently comes in clutch. The Lord Grymir with murmuring stave is excellent and I always bring a champ with Aktols fortress to punk some nasty combat threat which gets into my lines. And beserks are heart eyes emoji, never leave home without a squad of 10. Sagitaurs are my next addition to the army because mobility is often an issue for me, even with 2 squads of pioneers.

URSR all the way! My last game was a lot of fun. Site-to-Site teleportation is great.

Wrapping up my last unit of Warriors now, then getting ready for a 1500 pt game myself. Really looking forward to it.