2000 Pts IF Army - Lots of Terminators

CausticCossack

I'm trying to find a way to optimize Imperial Fists as much as possible during this period of time while they are widely regarded as the single worst faction in the game.  I took this list to the SoCal open a few weeks back:

1x Primaris Chapter Master: WTs Indomitable + Rites of War; MC power sword + relic shield

1x Primaris Techmarine: WT Hand of Dorn; Relic Eye of Hypnoth

1x Apothecary: Master Apothecary; WT Selfless Healer

5x Bladeguard Veterans

10x Terminators

2x Redemptors (1 gatling, 1 plasma)

1x Relic Contemptor: 2x twin lascannons

3x Intercessor Squads (5 men each, chainswords on sergeants)

3x Inceptors w/ bolters

3x Suppressors

I found that the terminators did really solid work both offensively (in shooting as well as melee - 40 storm bolter shots can do a surprising amount of damage in tactical doctrine) and defensively (these guys were extremely difficult to shift once on an objective w/ the +1 save strat and bolster barricades).  The bladeguard were decent, but even with transhuman they just didn't have the same durability as the terminators, and also lacked the ranged firepower.  On the other end of the spectrum, the intercessors contributed very little.  Just very little offensive output, and dies quickly to anything beyond basic enemy troops.

Taking that experience into account, I've created a new version of the list that doubles down on the best part by adding another 10 man terminator squad (bare basic relics to make the points work) in exchange for removing the bladeguard and two intercessor squads.  Had enough points left over to throw a missile launcher on top of the contemptor and upgrade the techmarine to master of the forge.

1x Primaris Chapter Master: WTs Indomitable + Rites of War; MC power sword + relic shield

1x Primaris Techmarine: Master of the Forge; WT Hand of Dorn; Relic Eye of Hypnoth

1x Apothecary: Master Apothecary; WT Selfless Healer

10x Terminators

10x Relic Terminators all w/ combi-bolters and lightning claws

2x Redemptors (1 gatling, 1 plasma)

1x Relic Contemptor: 2x twin lascannons + cyclone missile launcher

1x Intercessor Squads (5 men, chainsword on sergeant)

3x Inceptors w/ bolters

3x Suppressors

I'm hoping to take the revised version for a spin at an upcoming local RTT, and would be very interested to hear any thoughts any of you have on the list!

• 1 month later...

I play RG, so we suck like IF, but we have different strengths. In my experience, Terminators are great. I usually find a squad of aggressors + terminators works best for RG (as we have ways of delivering them into the opponents grill in T1), but I rate terminators over BGV and Aggressors in isolation. Only thing that work better than terminators are Assault Centurions (again, RG have ways to deliver them). 

I think for your list is interesting, keen to hear how it goes. Only thing I might suggest is taking chainfists on the terminators, as AP4 is great to have, as is flat 3 damage against vehicles :)