Iron Warriors 61st Reserve Company

"Iron 61st! Death and victory!"

Battlecry of the Iron Warriors 61st Company

Company History

The 61st Reserve were once the 61st Grand Company, and in a legion of inflexible yet reliable soldiers, they were typical. They had taken part in their fair share of gruelling sieges, and lain waste to many worlds. Dour and bitter like their brethren, the warriors of the 61st were competent, but not consummate. In a way they encapsulated the very essence of what so disappointed the Primarch when he took command of the legion. Perturabo famously ordered decimation for the legion's performance in the Great Crusade thus far without him, the 61st included. Whilst the decimation lottery was random, by chance several higher-ranking officers escaped unscathed: or at least, so they thought. For the Primarch's consumption of knowledge was unparalleled even amongst his brothers, and Perturabo saw fit to heap a further punishment on the 61st. Stripped of their Grand Company status, the 61st Reserve Company was relegated to garrison duty of just one world: the Forge-World Incaladion, the site of the infamous campaign which heralded the end of the IV Legion's status as the preferred tool of Terra.

And at the coming of the Heresy, that is where the 61st find themselves, suddenly poised to alter the course of the war in Segmentum Ultima by declaring for Terra or for Horus, and thus dragging the power and industry of a Forge-World with them.

thumbnail_IMG_4757.jpg.c9e6668c67795eb7d295d7914c55643a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4758.jpg.3905667ef6e5fd94079a010f2218534d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4759.jpg.f873937658615ec7d0dc1c61b1e62117.jpg

Warsmith Xipharus, who once aspired to command a Grand Battalion, was driven to the brink of madness by the calculated insult his appointment to Incaladion entailed. An outspoken member of the Apolokron, he increasingly prefers the company of his machines to those of his brothers. Whilst not as old as some of his Unification-era brothers, Xipharus is old and eccentric enough to have forgotten which Segmentum Solar system he was born in.

thumbnail_IMG_4762.jpg.0598868b2772f3b10c1b96a945357009.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4763.jpg.09cc351222649e6ab6db3955466a9cc4.jpg

Line Captain Pakelios was displaced as the officer commanding the 61st when the Warsmith's fall from grace necessitated a reorganisation. He took up the mantle of company Praevian. To lose control of the company he had bled for on so many campaigns made Pakelios incandescent with rage. His anger has narrowed, yet intensified, his focus onto the cybernetic elements under the 61st's command, and like the Warsmith he increasingly prefers the company of his machines to men.

thumbnail_IMG_4764.jpg.52512b1546d32aa767eaac0e5663bace.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4765.jpg.914bfcbbfe91c7c1478c11a1245f946d.jpg

Calamity, for he is known by no other name, is a veteran of Terran unification. One of the first of the Emperor's Space Marines, it is said he has done, and indeed continues to do, unspeakable things in the name of the Imperium. Calamity makes use of a modified nemesis-pattern bolter. His preferred quarry is battlefield medics, though he will stoop to active combatants if the need arises. There is no ceasefire he will honour, no truce he will not break. Calamity is the grim talisman of the 61st and its longest-serving member, existing outside the otherwise strict hierarchy and given the utmost latitude to prosecute war as he sees fit. How many Imperial lives has he saved by quietly slipping through the siege lines in the night and irradiating the enemy's water, returned by dawn without a word? How many compliances has he shortened by the timely destruction of enemy aid convoys, or by simply removing the head of their civilian governments?

thumbnail_IMG_4760.jpg.3c3f0c041ba4cf566004a39f6912389d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4761.jpg.ed4d2b0b3fea7ce46a228ab0b09bdc3a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4766.jpg.fd012263c1abb9986f6e62a4fd82f442.jpg

The Iron Warriors make good use of armoured vehicles such as the Land Raider, and the 61st Reserve are no exception.

Edited by Brother Kraskor

3 hours ago, Gorgoff said:

I love this project already 

2 hours ago, Pearson73 said:

Very nice indeed, digging the use of green to contrast.

Thank you both, and thanks to all who've taken a look! 

The green is so easy that it's ended up in all my armies...! Bone base, the GW yellow/green effect paint (I forget the name, it was released for necrons), then drybrush white. 

Hobby time is going to be extremely limited for me from now unfortunately, I was keen to get all these done before though to start me off. I will add to the force when I can, I've got five Tyrants assembled and primed and four cataphractii command squad half assembled and waiting on some bitz to arrive. After that it should be some Tacticals and some Darkfire Castellax!