Jump to content

History of MK1 Predator Kits.


Recommended Posts

I wish I knew. I owned one of each of one of those, the first in my Blood Angel Army and the second when I switched to Crimson Fists. The turret of the second looked positively Orky in comparison to every other variant of the Predator.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To ditch the og predator sprue, and concentrate on plastic rhino sprues plus upgrade parts. Same formula as the og whirlwind with a metal top hatch and launcher, and the vindicator with its metal front end and gun. That was their formula for russes, chimeras etc as well. Probably they realised that people were only buying 1 predator but 2-3 rhinos and it streamlined their stock and design process slightly. 

 

At a guess... (speaking as an owner of one og, one box turret, 1 dome turret and 2 baals with the newer plastic turret, I prefer the og)

Edited by Leonaides
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was a change of direction, they moved from plastic only kits to hybrids for some reason, and a bunch of the old plastics kits went oop before the hybrids even came out (notably the land raider which skipped the whole hybrid era) which makes me think there was some specific issue because the cost of plastic kits is all up front, so it makes sense to keep them in production as long as possible. 

I dont think its a look thing either because on the Predator for example it all seems fine bar the bolter, which matched the rhino ones anyway which stayed around.

As for why the metal predator turret/sponsons changed so much? I think its primarily it changing material so they couldnt build it the same way without it being big ole lumps of permanently falling off metal, well, more than they turned out to anyhow. :D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

It was a change of direction, they moved from plastic only kits to hybrids for some reason, and a bunch of the old plastics kits went oop before the hybrids even came out (notably the land raider which skipped the whole hybrid era) which makes me think there was some specific issue because the cost of plastic kits is all up front, so it makes sense to keep them in production as long as possible. 

I dont think its a look thing either because on the Predator for example it all seems fine bar the bolter, which matched the rhino ones anyway which stayed around.

As for why the metal predator turret/sponsons changed so much? I think its primarily it changing material so they couldnt build it the same way without it being big ole lumps of permanently falling off metal, well, more than they turned out to anyhow. :D 

 

Not to derail my own thread, but wasn't there a legend that the MK1 Land Raider injection moulds were lost at sea while being shipped to a factory where GW did their North American production runs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The plastic pins holding the turret in place and lascannons in the sponsons were really thin, knock the tank too hard and you have fudged it. Lascannons and heavy bolters snapped off the Landraider easy back then as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Metal was cheap back then. Simple as that. Logistically it made more sense as GW was a smaller company and they couldn't make the molds in house and had to make kits for Guard and Eldar. The trend continued for sometime for kits like the original Land raider crusader and landspeeder variants and other variant kits. Logistics really was the only reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suppose another reason I didn't consider before was that it was about that time they introduced the Annihilator variant with a lascannon turret and heavy bolter sponsons. I imagine that the additional options in metal would be seen as an advance.

 

Space Marine Predator Annihilator | The Mythical Creatures and Beings of  Fantasy Realms

Edited by Magos Takatus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Metal was cheap back then. Simple as that. Logistically it made more sense as GW was a smaller company and they couldn't make the molds in house and had to make kits for Guard and Eldar. The trend continued for sometime for kits like the original Land raider crusader and landspeeder variants and other variant kits. Logistics really was the only reason.

 

Yeah that's pretty much it. I can't speak for the land raider or predator but I do remember talk of them outsourcing the rtb01 marines to Matchbox who made toy cars.  I expect cheapness and more detail played a large part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea, I was thinking a combination of the tooling costs for plastic moulds, plus the speed and low cost of making metal moulds, combined with the low metal costs in the late 80's early 90s. GW kept a lot in metal and only really started to shy away from it with the insane tin price increase from Nov 2005 - Summer 2008 where it almost doubled in price. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2022 at 9:59 PM, Magos Takatus said:

I wish I knew. I owned one of each of one of those, the first in my Blood Angel Army and the second when I switched to Crimson Fists. The turret of the second looked positively Orky in comparison to every other variant of the Predator.

 

IIRC there were some pretty good Deff dread conversions at the time using the turrets for the body.

 

I was always jealous of my mates having the plastic predator though a young, teen, me didnt dislike the metal ones either.

 I'd always assumed it was an issue with the molds that they stopped these 

HH2.0 is hitting me hard for wanting to get the 'new' versions of these. I'm taking the ork view, boys before toys!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2022 at 11:39 PM, Beaky Brigade said:

 

Not to derail my own thread, but wasn't there a legend that the MK1 Land Raider injection moulds were lost at sea while being shipped to a factory where GW did their North American production runs?


I remember being told a variation of this by my local GW manager a year or so after it was discontinued. Although he said that the mould had been dropped and either damaged or outright broken beyond repair. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2022 at 5:19 PM, AlexAbroad said:


I remember being told a variation of this by my local GW manager a year or so after it was discontinued. Although he said that the mould had been dropped and either damaged or outright broken beyond repair. 

Yes this was what i was told as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.