Magnetizing

It really does depend on the part, the size and quality/strength of the magnets, and the angle of the join. Flat joins hold much stronmger than angled ones for example.

Which size magnets did you receive, and which parts were you thinking to magnetise?

7 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Is there really enough weight between parts that a single small magnet won’t hold things together?

Potentially, yes. It obviously depends on the specific parts you're trying to join and the magnets you're using but for example magnets which could hold Marine arms onto torso probably won't be strong enough to achieve the same for a Dreadnought.

Another thing to consider is that if the magnets aren't strong enough (or they don't sit flush against each other), your parts can rotate. I had this issue on one of my first ever magnetisation jobs on a Contemptor where, although the magnet would hold the weapon to the elbow, the weight of the gun was always causing the weapon to spin around and point down because the magnet join wasn't strong enough to fix the weapon in the position I wanted.

15 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

It really does depend on the part, the size and quality/strength of the magnets, and the angle of the join. Flat joins hold much stronmger than angled ones for example.

Which size magnets did you receive, and which parts were you thinking to magnetise?

Off the top of my head I don’t remember size since I’m not home now, but I think 5 and 3mm.

primarily looking to magnetize tank weapons.

If they're good strength (N52), and 2mm deep, they should be srtong enough for a single weapon. If there is space for two magnets, place the first one with room for the second, and test the hold. If it works, excellent, if it doesn't, go and add the second magnet.

Also, dont drill the tank and the weapon, just do the weapon first, and test the hold on the stack/line of magnets, it will be enough of a test to tell if it will hold.

If you want to fix weapon orientation for a weapon that has range of movement, you can also get a small pin/bit of paper clip, and put the pin into one side of the joint, then drill holes the pin can fit into in the other side of the join (if you want to have some different poses, you could even drill multiple holes to allow those) - the pin will then fix the weapon into the orientation you chose, rather than letting it move around.

There are also small bar magnets that can be used. I've recently used some of them for the rectangular slots on Aeldari walker heavy weapons. It is a bit harder than simply drilling holes in most cases though.