Cover and area terrain

Lord Tarkin
Go to solution Solved by Lord_Ikka,

Hello my friends. Just getting back into 40k after over a half a year. I've only ever played 2 games of 9th edition. Cover, I must admit is confusing and I find it needlessly complicated. 

So quite simply, it says for obstacles (and a few other terrain pieces) that if the shooting unit can't draw straight lines from it's base to the target, the target receives the benefit of cover. Well, what if the target unit is a squad of 10 SMs and 5 of them are in cover. What happens? 

My understanding is that the owner of the target unit can choose to allocate the hits to the models it wants (with some exceptions for wounded models and models previously chosen as the allocated victim previously in the round) so that they could take the save on the unmodified models first if they wished (for example, if all the heavy/special weapons are in cover, or the models in cover are within scoring range of an objective), though typically it would occur as stated by Lord_Ikka.

Likewise, if the rules require you to allocate the wound on a specific target, that's where it goes whether or not that model is in cover.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

On 11/19/2022 at 9:23 AM, Lord Tarkin said:

it says for obstacles (and a few other terrain pieces) that if the shooting unit can't draw straight lines from it's base to the target, the target receives the benefit of cover.

Just remember that the area terrain and obstacles rules are different, for obstacles, you do the 'can you see the bases' thing, while area terrain just requires the target models to be in or on the terrain, regardless of Line of sight.