Your Nephilim Pack CSM Lists

Relic

Thought it would be interesting now that the Codex is around a while now to get a sense of what people like running and what has worked/not worked. To timestamp it, we are in the sunset days of the Nephilim pack and possibly 9th Edition itself!

I have only played Iron Warriors, as they are my Legion. Mixed results if I am honest, the Codex does certain things like a very durable brick of Terminators down the middle and Iron Warriors double down on the durability, but I am not great with footslogging armies which the Codex also somewhat promotes. I guess i'm just not that good with my Movement Phase and so a relatively slow army is not forgiving when I make a mistake.

The other angle i've struggled with is knowing when to go/when to play patient. As a mostly close combat army (even Iron Warriors), turn 3 onward is when we get going. However, I too often overreach turn 2 or alternatively play too cagey and don't have the movement then to close the ground. 

I think a standard list template from competitive players is useful - i.e. you will often see a Dark Apostle, Master of Possession (with Liber Hereticus/Mark of Slaanesh), some smash character, the terminator brick (Black Rune) and then other units to play the flanks like Chosen, Possessed and Warp Talons. Shooting support is a bit legion specific, Noise Marines for Emperors Children and then in other Legions you tend to see more Havocs then vehicles or Obliterators. 

The more 'competitive' Legions have a way to make units mobile for a turn (advance+charge/honor the prince). A general CSM plan is to take the middle with the Terminators and Characters, then move out from there with your other units on the flanks to take objectives and characters go smash. 

Personally the list I keep coming back to is a classic Rhino rush, which is not the meta choice! What can I say, I appreciate making vroom vroom noises and playing a super aggresive list that wins big or loses hard. Either way the blood flows. 

Spoiler

Faction: Chaos Space Marines – Iron Warriors
Army Points: 2,000pts 
Reinforcement Points: 0
Number of Units/ Kill Points:17
Pre-Game Stratagems: Warlord Trait (-1CP), Relic (-1CP), 2x Gifts of Chaos (-2CP), Aspiring Lord (-1CP), Trophies of the Long War (-1CP)
Starting Command Points: 0
Warlord & Trait: Dark Apostle – Bastion 
Army Trait: Let the Galaxy Burn. Iron Within, Iron Without. 
Secondary Objective Information:
No Prisoners: 140 wounds
Bring it Down: 10
Assassination: 13
Abhor the Witch: 3

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HQ - Dark Apostle: Warlord (Bastion), Relic (Mantle of Traitors), Chaos Undivided, Dark Zealotry, Illusory Supplication, 2x Dark Disciples = [5 PL, -2CP, 95pts]

HQ - Master of Possession: Chaos Undivided, Smite, Mutated Invigoration, Pact of Flesh = [6 PL, 105pts] 

HQ – Warpsmith: Chaos Undivided, Gifts of Chaos (Techno-venomous Mechatendrils) = [5 PL, -1CP, 80pts]

TR - 10 Chaos Cultists w/ cultist firearms = [2 PL, 50pts]

EL – 10 Khorne Berzerkers: Chaos Icon = [10 PL, 225pts]
EL – 10 Khorne Berzerkers: Chaos Icon = [10 PL, 225pts]
EL – 5 Khorne Berzerkers: Chaos Icon = [5 PL, 115pts]

EL - Master of Executions: Chaos Undivided, Aspiring Lord (Hatred Incarnate), Gifts of Chaos (Ul'o'cca, the Black) = [4 PL, -2CP, 65pts]

EL – 10 Chosen:  Chaos Icon, Mark of Khorne
Chosen Champion: Bolt pistol, 2x Accursed Weapons, Trophies of the Long War (Black Rune of Damnation) 
Chosen: Bolt pistol, 2x Accursed Weapons
Chosen: Bolt pistol, Boltgun, Accursed Weapon
Chosen: Bolt pistol, Boltgun, Powerfist
= [15 PL, -1CP, 270pts]

EL – 10 Chosen:  Chaos Icon, Mark of Khorne
Chosen Champion: Bolt pistol, 2x Accursed Weapons
Chosen: Bolt pistol, 2x Accursed Weapons 
= [15 PL, 270pts]

DT: Chaos Rhino = [4 PL, 80pts]

+++[101 PL, 0CP, 2,000pts] +++ 

A few list tweaks is that I was previously going for the classic Mark of Slaanesh on the Chosen and the Dark Apostle, for the advance and charge combo. But to be honest in my games I was never using it as closing the distance was not such a problem as I have transports. I also like the Mark of Khorne as it themes the army (Storm of Iron book!) and there is more durable units knocking about these days (Armour of Contempt armies, Votann, Guard tanks) so Mark of Khorne is good for getting your melee output up to the 9's. 

The other thing I recently switched out is Eternal Vendetta as the Warlord trait - it is fantastic, you should take it as lots of armies rely on a centerpiece unit...but I honestly just forgot about it so much pre-game that i've accepted that its evidently not for me! Bastion is also a great Warlord trait and whilst it does not work the turn you jump out of a Rhino, handing out Obsec/ +1 to hit when charged to a core unit during a game is never a bad play. 

For secondaries - I have given up the ghost and just accepted that some combination of Banners, Assassination/Bring it Down and No Prisoners/Long War is my viable options. The base codex has naff secondaries and Iron Warriors don't help you in this regard! 

I have had reasonable success with the Rhino Rush - it hits like a train, but canny opponents can screen/it struggles vs fight phase shenanigans. Like a true Chaos player, my solution to flyers is very dubious as well - kill everything else. 

So - how is your warband faring? 

Edited by Relic

I'm glad to hear that the classic Rhino Rush is working out for you.

Since I have 2 wins and 10 losses since the new Codex came out I'm probably not qualified to provide a list. :)  

But my 2 wins were with a Helbrute and Daemon Engine heavy list (Maulerfiend, and/or Defiler, Blood Slaughterer, Helbrute with fist and multimelta, and Helbrute with fist and twin lascannon). So maybe Daemon Robots lists play to my strengths. 

in addition to the daemon bits, units that tend to perform well for me are: • large squads of Khornate Legionaries

•large squads of Chosen

• MoPs (pretty much an always take for me now)

• Daemon Princes

• small Tzeenchian or Slaaneshi squads with the tome

I’ve been playing creations of bile, mostly in a map based (risk style) strategic campaign, so I’ve had a load of odd sized battles, including having to punch up from 1100 into an opponent on 1300. 

my experience from the six or so games has been that they are very strong.  But… that might be because they suit my ‘midfield scrap’ playstyle to a tee.

possessed are awesome for bile.  But other things like spawn, venomcrawlers etc all get nice glow ups from the legion trait.

My IW play pretty traditional.  I have to admit I’m shocked that I still enjoy and keep a landraider in those lists. It’s just fun and while it has as many bad turns as good turns, people often get sucked into trying to kill it. I really like the Disco lord with reroll to wounds and mortals on 6s. Without it I actually don’t think I’d take him except that Chaos secondary (Glory?) does really suit him. 

Black Legion is where I get to have a lot of fun with the close combat. I simply can’t get Chosen to work for me even though I continue to try. Abbadon is great but the funny thing is I never lost mine before this codex so I’m very fine if he gets nerfed and his points come down. Truly it is his mimicking of SoBs Vaul (her auras specifically) that keep Abe in the list.  To make my point I have promised my friends I will not heal him and I remove the phase cap. Just like before this codex he rarely dies. 

unlike the IWs the Black Legion have a real reason to take Legionaries with such a great strat to shut off obsec. Come to think of it I love the chapters strats which help identify a chapter and as a result I really dislike the new CP limits. 

that said I love  Abe with Termies. It truly plays like it should and is appropriately terrifying. I do think it’s hard to not take Termies and outs are good. I had a big debate with someone who felt they were too good and I had to remind them this is the way chaos should play…. All the legions have great Termies. We have no Bladeguard and this is fluffy. I had to remind him what it’s like to play against relic free Blightlords with T5, obsec, -1 damage, and a 4++ without putting a single CP or psychic power into them. This is just how I’ve always felt and believed all chaos Termies should play and I think this was intended by GW. The bad part is I really don’t get how to use Chosen. 

Red Corsairs are another super fun sneaky competitive legion that has great identity through strats. A lot of people think it’s all about the advance and charge and I remind people we had that before and it’s not all it’s cracked up to be (ask White Scars). The real deal for me is double models and again Legionaries can really shine here. Bikes are a blast in this legion as well the strat makes up for having so few strats for RCs. 

lots of fun in the codex. 

Edited by Prot

9 hours ago, Prot said:

My IW play pretty traditional.  I have to admit I’m shocked that I still enjoy and keep a landraider in those lists. It’s just fun and while it has as many bad turns as good turns, people often get sucked into trying to kill it.

How are you finding it? I am intrigued as T9 and +2 Damage on the Lascannons looks good on paper. There is an awful lot of S8 anti-tank in the meta at the moment (melta, overcharged plasma etc) so T9 should be a good defence as it will reduce damage from those weapons by 33%.

Of course, in theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice however, there is a difference. :wink:

4 hours ago, Karhedron said:

How are you finding it? I am intrigued as T9 and +2 Damage on the Lascannons looks good on paper. There is an awful lot of S8 anti-tank in the meta at the moment (melta, overcharged plasma etc) so T9 should be a good defence as it will reduce damage from those weapons by 33%.

Of course, in theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice however, there is a difference. :wink:

I  actually didn't know you played chaos!?!? :) 

The Landraider, with IW specifically, definitely can last a long time. It is far more resilient than it is a damage dealer. (I think the Predators are a darn good economic choice). Where the landraider really wins me a game is when I have opponents terrified of it and they insist on pouring everything they have into it game after game. Just so much Melta out there, and that's what I see most of. 

As with anything, every once in a while you spike some great hits/wounds... maybe a few exploding 6's and you think wow this is an amazing unit. Then the next turn you get nothing out of it.... to me it's the survival of it that keeps it in my IW lists. 

Unfortunately with my IW I always used Termies or Chosen, never both. Then finally I decided that perhaps that was my problem; I was using them in the same role. So I played a game with both Termies and Chosen, and the chosen even got the relic... it didn't work they still got wiped without having a real effect.

I've used chosen with MoS, MoK, and MoN.  But because it is double the cost to put a combi weapon on Chosen, I only put combi's on Termies. 

I like Chosen - they are essentially terminators in close combat minus the improved save, but they hit harder as they get an Icon. The 3rd wound on a marine body really makes a difference as there is a lot of 2 dmg weapons floating around. 

I keep them simple, 2 powerfists, Icon and mark. Regarding a mark, I think Slaanesh or Khorne works well. Likely Slaanesh is better if supported (advance and charge prayer/delightful agonies), whilst Khorne is better in isolation. 

This is what I’m intending to run and to be the basis of a competitive army. Bar Abaddon what do you suggest to add? 

HQ 

Dark Apostle

Illusory Supplication, Mark of Tzeentch, 

2x Dark Disciple: 2x Close combat weapon

Master of Possession (-1CP Aspiring Lord) Liber Hereticus, Mark of Tzeentch, Mutated Invigoration, Pact of Flesh

Troops

Legionaries 

Chaos Icon, Mark of Tzeentch

-Aspiring Champion: Boltgun, Power fist

-3x Marine w/ boltgun: 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Boltgun, 3x Frag & Krak grenades

-Marine w/ special weapon: Plasma gun

Legionaries 

Chaos Icon, Mark of Khorne

-Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Power fist

-4x Marine w/ astartes chainsword: 4x Astartes chainsword, 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

Elites 

Chaos Terminator Squad (-1CP Black Rune of Damnation)

Mark of Slaanesh

. Chaos Terminator: Combi-melta, Power fist

. Chaos Terminator: Power fist, Combi-bolter

. Chaos Terminator: Chainfist, Combi-bolter

. Chaos Terminator: Accursed weapon, Combi-bolter

. Terminator Champion:, Combi-melta, Power fist, Trophies of the Long War

Heavy Support 

Chaos Vindicator 

Havoc launcher, Vindicator siege shield

Havocs

Mark of Tzeentch

. Havoc Champion: Astartes chainsword, Boltgun

. 4x Havoc w/ lascannon: 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Lascannon

995pts

29 minutes ago, strawberry fist said:

This is what I’m intending to run and to be the basis of a competitive army. Bar Abaddon what do you suggest to add? 

Spoiler

HQ 

Dark Apostle

Illusory Supplication, Mark of Tzeentch, 

2x Dark Disciple: 2x Close combat weapon

Master of Possession (-1CP Aspiring Lord) Liber Hereticus, Mark of Tzeentch, Mutated Invigoration, Pact of Flesh

Troops

Legionaries 

Chaos Icon, Mark of Tzeentch

-Aspiring Champion: Boltgun, Power fist

-3x Marine w/ boltgun: 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Boltgun, 3x Frag & Krak grenades

-Marine w/ special weapon: Plasma gun

Legionaries 

Chaos Icon, Mark of Khorne

-Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Power fist

-4x Marine w/ astartes chainsword: 4x Astartes chainsword, 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

Elites 

Chaos Terminator Squad (-1CP Black Rune of Damnation)

Mark of Slaanesh

. Chaos Terminator: Power fist, Combi-bolter

. Terminator Champion:, Combi-melta, Power fist, Trophies of the Long War

Heavy Support 

Chaos Vindicator 

Havoc launcher, Vindicator siege shield

Havocs

Mark of Tzeentch

995pts

What total points and detachment are you going for? Assuming you are aiming for a Battalion, I would consider a Disco Lord or Winged Daemon Prince as a 3rd HQ choice. I like Warp Talons, particularly if running Creations of Bile and the Prince pairs particularly well with them. You will need a 3rd Troop choice. More Lgionaries are solid but you could always get some cheap Cultists as backfield Objective Campers.

A lot of it depends on whether you prefer boys or toys. Some people like having lots of boots on the ground and so go for more Troops. Personally I think the main power of the Chaos codex lies more in the Elites and HQs section so I would stick with just the basic 3 Troops choices. They are there to fulfil your Battalion tax and hold safe-ish Objectives. The rest of the army is there to do the heavy lifting.

On 12/3/2022 at 7:11 PM, strawberry fist said:

i was thinking of running a battalion of 2000 points which would be black legion. (Can change legion as they are. Painted up in their own warband scheme.) would you advise 3 or4 troops?

To me the main consideration it actually what legion you take. For example, my Iron Warriors rarely run beyond the minimum. However my Black Legion lists love legionnaires. The ability to remove obsec in an aura is massive as a threat and especially if executed at the right time. Same with my Red Corsair lists. Having 5 obsec legionnaires count as 10 obsec bodies can win you a game at the right time. 

I love this Chais codex and this is a case where even though all legions have access to the same models they aren’t all equal. Some troops simply do more for some legions. This might sound like a basic answer but without seeing a list its about the raw value of the troops. I’ve seen and played Word Bearere lists with loads of Baleflame Tomes for masse smite….there’s a lot you can do. 

Edited by Prot

Thanks Prot and Karhedron for the advice. I’ve had a play around with a Black Legion battalion at 2000 points and come up with this. My only question is do I drop the cultists, spawn and the havoc launchers and get either 3 basic bikes or 5 raptors for some speed in the army? Also does it look like it would be ok in a competitive tournament? 

Spoiler

6CP Strike Force

Pre game spending = 3CP (warlord trait, relic, terminator relic) 

3CP starting 

Battalion Detachment

Black Legion

HQ

Abaddon the Despoiler 

Warlord (-1CP)

Lord Discordant on Helstalker

-Helstalker autocannon, Mark of Slaanesh, Techno-virus injector

Master of Possession (-1CP Relic)

-Liber Hereticus, Mark of Tzeentch, Mutated Invigoration, Pact of Flesh

Troops

Cultists Mob 

. 9x Chaos Cultist w/ cultist firearm: 9x Cultist firearm, 9x Frag & Krak grenades

. Cultist Champion: Cultist firearm

Legionaries 

-Chaos Icon, Mark of Tzeentch

. Aspiring Champion: Boltgun, Power fist

. 3x Marine w/ boltgun: 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Boltgun, 3x Frag & Krak grenades

. Marine w/ special weapon: Plasma gun

Legionaries

-Chaos Icon, Mark of Khorne

. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Power fist

. 4x Marine w/ astartes chainsword: 4x Astartes chainsword, 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

Legionaries 

Elites

Chaos Terminator Squad (-1CP) 

-Mark of Slaanesh

. Chaos Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power fist

. Terminator Champion: Black Rune of Damnation, Combi-melta, Power fist, Trophies of the Long War

Possessed 

-5x Possessed: 5x Hideous mutations

Fast Attack

Chaos Spawn

Heavy Support

Chaos Vindicator

-Havoc launcher, Vindicator siege shield

Havocs

-Mark of Tzeentch

Dedicated Transport

Chaos Rhino

-Havoc launcher

On 12/5/2022 at 3:18 PM, strawberry fist said:

Thanks Prot and Karhedron for the advice. I’ve had a play around with a Black Legion battalion at 2000 points and come up with this. My only question is do I drop the cultists, spawn and the havoc launchers and get either 3 basic bikes or 5 raptors for some speed in the army? Also does it look like it would be ok in a competitive tournament? 

Hide contents

6CP Strike Force

Pre game spending = 3CP (warlord trait, relic, terminator relic) 

3CP starting 

Battalion Detachment

Black Legion

HQ

Abaddon the Despoiler 

Warlord (-1CP)

Lord Discordant on Helstalker

-Helstalker autocannon, Mark of Slaanesh, Techno-virus injector

Master of Possession (-1CP Relic)

-Liber Hereticus, Mark of Tzeentch, Mutated Invigoration, Pact of Flesh

Troops

Cultists Mob 

. 9x Chaos Cultist w/ cultist firearm: 9x Cultist firearm, 9x Frag & Krak grenades

Legionaries 

Legionaries

-Chaos Icon, Mark of Khorne

. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Power fist

. 4x Marine w/ astartes chainsword: 4x Astartes chainsword, 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

Legionaries 

Elites

Chaos Terminator Squad (-1CP) 

-Mark of Slaanesh

. Terminator Champion: Black Rune of Damnation, Combi-melta, Power fist, Trophies of the Long War

Possessed 

-5x Possessed: 5x Hideous mutations

Fast Attack

Chaos Spawn

Heavy Support

Chaos Vindicator

-Havoc launcher, Vindicator siege shield

Havocs

-Mark of Tzeentch

Dedicated Transport

Chaos Rhino

-Havoc launcher

Hi, I don't play BL myself, but the list below did well recently and might be a good jumping off point for you.

In general i'd say about your list, grab a Dark Apostle with Illusory Supplication for the Terminators. 

Spend your CP pre-game to buff up the Lord Discordant if you're going to take one. A warlord trait and relic will go a long way on him!

I have tried Legionaries and not super impressed, I prefer to spend pts elsewhere. However, I understand in BL that they can be better. Perhaps i'd suggest one squad of 10 with mark of khorne, icon and chainswords in a rhino (no havoc launcher). 

I;'d drop the mark on the havocs. Albeit if you want to get tricky, the Mark of Slaanesh goes surprisingly well with them due to a Slaanesh locked strategem for turning a dice roll into a 6. Lets you easily fish for a 6 damage shot! 

I also would trim back a bit on the upgrades for the Terminators, a few bullet catchers won;t go astray. 

As a wider tip, my understanding is competitive lists tend to be the Terminator brick with Dark Apostle, MoP and some beat stick characters (Abaddon/Discolord) in tow and character protected. Basically this goes up the middle/one flank and dominates, with the terminators acting as more of a character delivery mechanism then anything. 

On the other flank people tend towards using Possessed/Warp Talons or Chosen. Cultists do your actions like raise banners. 

That is a rough outline, but broadly in line with my understanding unless anyone has other thoughts?

++ Battalion Detachment -3CP (Chaos – Chaos Space Marines) [87 PL, 1,700pts, -2CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

Game Type: 4. Chapter Approved: War Zone Nephilim

Legion: Black Legion

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 95pts, -2CP]: 5. Trusted War-leader, Aspiring Lord, Chaos Undivided, Cloak of Conquest, Gifts of Chaos, Illusory Supplication
. 2x Dark Disciple: 2x Close combat weapon

Master of Possession [7 PL, 120pts, -1CP]: Liber Hereticus, Mark of Slaanesh, Mutated Invigoration, Pact of Flesh, Stratagem: Relic

Sorcerer [6 PL, 110pts, -1CP]: Eye of Tzeentch, Gifts of Chaos, Infernal Gaze, Mark of Tzeentch, Warptime

+ Troops +

Cultists Mob [2 PL, 50pts]

Cultists Mob [2 PL, 50pts]

. Cultist Champion
. . Autopistol and brutal assault weapon

Legionaries [7 PL, 130pts]: Chaos Icon, Mark of Khorne
. Aspiring Champion: Astartes chainsword, Power fist
. 3x Marine w/ astartes chainsword: 3x Astartes chainsword, 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Frag & Krak grenades
. Marine w/ heavy chainaxe: Heavy chainaxe

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminator Squad [19 PL, 365pts, -1CP]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Terminator Champion: Black Rune of Damnation, Chainfist, Combi-melta, Trophies of the Long War

Decimator [9 PL, 180pts]: 2x Soulburner petard

Decimator [9 PL, 180pts]: 2x Soulburner petard

Possessed [7 PL, 140pts]: Possessed Champion
. 4x Possessed: 4x Hideous mutations

+ Fast Attack +

Warp Talons [7 PL, 140pts]: Warp Talon Champion
. 4x Warp Talon: 4x Warp claws

++ Supreme Command Detachment +3CP (Chaos – Chaos Space Marines) [15 PL, 300pts, 2CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost [3CP]

Legion: Black Legion

+ Primarch | Daemon Primarch | Supreme Commander +

Abaddon the Despoiler [15 PL, 300pts, -1CP]: 3. Merciless Overseer, 5. Eternal Vendetta, 6. Paragon of Hatred, Stratagem: Warlord Trait

++ Total: [102 PL, 2,000pts] ++

This is what I've running for the in-store gaming at my local GW. We may be moving up to 1.5k points in the new year.

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [69 PL, 4CP, 1,237pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [6CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Detachment Command Cost

Game Type: 4. Chapter Approved: War Zone Nephilim

Legion: Red Corsairs

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: Bolt pistol, Chaos Undivided, Power fist, Stratagem: Relic, The Warp's Malice, Warlord

Master of Possession [6 PL, 105pts]: Chaos Undivided, Pact of Flesh, Warp Marked

+ Troops +

Legionaries [13 PL, 189pts]: Chaos Icon, Mark of Khorne
. Aspiring Champion: Daemon blade, Plasma pistol
. 6x Marine w/ astartes chainsword: 6x Astartes chainsword, 6x Bolt pistol, 6x Frag & Krak grenades
. Marine w/ heavy chainaxe: Heavy chainaxe

Legionaries [6 PL, 110pts]: Chaos Undivided
. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. Marine w/ balefire tome: Balefire tome, Diabolic Strength

Legionaries [6 PL, 110pts]: Chaos Undivided
. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. Marine w/ balefire tome: Balefire tome, Infernal Gaze

+ Elites +

Rubric Marines [13 PL, -1CP, 228pts]
. Aspiring Sorcerer: Black Rune of Damnation, Death Hex, Trophies of the Long War, Warpflame pistol
. 8x Rubric Marine w/ warpflamer: 8x Warpflamer

+ Fast Attack +

Venomcrawler [6 PL, 105pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Maulerfiend [7 PL, 150pts]: Lasher tendrils

++ Total: [69 PL, 4CP, 1,237pts] ++