Will HH plastics migrate to 40K?

Karhedron

1 hour ago, Bryan Blaire said:

Folks, seriously, there’s so many legal implications surrounding whether it’s the same IP or not, or the same IP portfolio, or which laws apply to what materials, let’s just drop the IP thing - the “IP designation” is not GW’s deciding line on this likely anyway - they are going to protect all their IPs regardless and it’s whether they internally consider it a separate game or not that makes a difference to them for our purposes.

They are separate games for GW.  The rules would have to be ported from the Horus Heresy game and aligned and tested for the 40K set up - I don’t think we can say for certain whether this will happen or not.

Agree with this except for the tested for 40k part... :smile:

37 minutes ago, DesuVult said:

They already port the rules for most models.  They stopped for awhile but have restarted with the kratos.

I don’t disagree - why sell to only one crew when you can sell to two?  I just don’t believe we can say for certain that it will happen for anything and everything Marine in HH, only certain things, etc.  I think it’s very likely at least the vehicles and Dreads, possibly some other things.

(I emphasize the “for certain” part because I was certain we’d be getting Juggernaut Marine riders for the WE released, and while we did, it’s more a ‘kinda’ situation to me, because it’s only a single character, rather than the squad I was certain would come with it)

Edited by Bryan Blaire

2 hours ago, Bryan Blaire said:

I don’t disagree - why sell to only one crew when you can sell to two?  I just don’t believe we can say for certain that it will happen for anything and everything Marine in HH, only certain things, etc.  I think it’s very likely at least the vehicles and Dreads, possibly some other things.

(I emphasize the “for certain” part because I was certain we’d be getting Juggernaut Marine riders for the WE released, and while we did, it’s more a ‘kinda’ situation to me, because it’s only a single character, rather than the squad I was certain would come with it)

Yeah there is no certainty in predicting what GW will do.  I think GW will try to sell 30k models to 40k players because money and they have been trying to do that so far but GW is not always consistent.  For all we know GW will say they are going to do all digital micro-codices for 10e where all the big armies are split up so codex marines become 4 codices, phobos, tacticus, gravis, and classic and you have to use their app to get rules. 

It isn't something I think they will do but it is something that wouldn't surprise me if they did do it.

5 minutes ago, Mechanicus Tech-Support said:

Yes why would GW only sell for one system, makes no sense *Cries in fire of cyraxus*

Very true - probably need to amend that to “Sell plastic Marine(s) elements for only one system”.  Fires of Cyraxus was supposed to be set in 40K and covered mostly the resin FW AdMech stuff from HH, wasn’t it?

Edited by Bryan Blaire

Its definitely better to sell for two systems than one, i know i used to encourage it even though i had no interest in 40k at the time, because it buoyed up the system i liked's sales :D 

Fires of cyraxes (And the equally lost Talons book's Sisters of Silence section) is a damn travesty, apparently the book was finished but they didnt want to convert the rules to 8th ed so abandoned the whole thing. Now sure, things were chaotic with GW springing 8th ed on them and Alan Bligh dying, but they could have come back to it since, hell, even if they half arsed it like they did the FW Indexes someone else could have come by and tidied up later.

But no, a whole bunch of cool stuff denied for no good reason :( 

(Give us Acquisitors you cowards!)

1 hour ago, Bryan Blaire said:

Very true - probably need to amend that to “Sell plastic Marine(s) elements for only one system”.  Fires of Cyraxus was supposed to be set in 40K and covered mostly the resin FW AdMech stuff from HH, wasn’t it?

Yea, forgeworld gets sieged and throws open the vaults of mothballed robits, who after being stored for so long weren't exactly acting the same way they use to. (that last bit intrigued me to no end) It wasn't even going to be the whole resin admech line iirc and while a little disappointing most of us were fine with that..if only we knew what was to come :(

I still hope that with some of the HH getting ported they revist this idea with admech..not holding my breath though haha

Edited by Mechanicus Tech-Support

On 11/30/2022 at 4:45 PM, DesuVult said:

That doesn't really solve any problems and would make people complain about needing another book.

When's this stopped GW before?

If you want to play 8th edition Guard currently you need:

- Guard codex

- Psychic Awakening 

- Rulebook

- Warzone book (if Cadian)

- GT book

- Dataslate

- FAQ

Then if you want to take some Agents of the Imperium you need the relevant book they're in.

As all of the new plastics are currently available in 40K through the Compendium the answer to me is an obvious yes… why would they take that away and restrict sales? I don’t think they’ll all make it into the codex [Maybe the Stormeagle when that comes out + Added Contemptor options as it’s already there] but they don’t need to anyway as they’re all already playable 

Edited by WARMASTER_

6 hours ago, jarms48 said:

When's this stopped GW before?

If you want to play 8th edition Guard currently you need:

- Guard codex

- Psychic Awakening 

- Rulebook

- Warzone book (if Cadian)

- GT book

- Dataslate

- FAQ

Then if you want to take some Agents of the Imperium you need the relevant book they're in.

The new Ark of Omens they mention it as a reason for no matched play rules in the book.

I think it's obvious that when you have a few HH plastics available, it makes sense for GW to also make them usable in 40k to encourage more sales.

I think what's less obvious is that once you have a whole range of HH plastics available, it might generate more sales to keep them largely separate and thus encourage people who like all the new tanks to just dive in a buy a HH army in addition to their 40k army.

GW is in the making money business, if they think there is a market for it, you can bet they will do rules for  generic HH miniatures for 40k. I think they will consider multiple things before making such decision anyway. I also don't think primaris are the only future of 40k, if they release more heresy armor kits, the idea of two marines codexes, one for the old marines and one for the primaris isn't far fetched. 

Multiple old kits get updated all the time, old marines won't be an exception. Yes I know primaris only was the plan for GW, but I believe GW is a fluid company, and plans change, the market is king. 

Just look at Warhammer, they released AOS. Parts of the market didn't like that, so they announced "the old world" game, because they know they can make money there. It's just business.

1 hour ago, Mana said:

Yes I know primaris only was the plan for GW, but I believe GW is a fluid company, and plans change, the market is king. 

It’s funny you can say this when there’s a video in this very thread from someone that was there in GW when the Primaris were created that says otherwise.  GW had a chance to release the Primaris simply as an updated scale to the Marines - they chose not to.  They also had the choice to simply do away with the old scale Marines - they chose not to.  They specifically wrote the Primaris lore to allow people to have both their old scale and new scale Marines in the same army, and have released multiple books over the period of time since the Primaris were introduced and have yet to remove the standard Astartes template.  GW already knew that it would be a bad idea to just delete the armies people had already a built up, and specifically designed a “best case scenario” to avoid it - they didn’t need the market to tell them that.

Yes, GW isn’t producing new Tactical, Assault, and Devastator kits - because the Primaris is the new scale of Marines and those kits were redone already - any new scale classic Marines were done in the Heroes line and now for HH.  We have gotten a new scale classic Marine in Castellan Crowe, so clearly that can all be done, but Primaris is the new scaled Marine - yes, that’s what GW is going to produce going forward (other than the Horus Heresy stuff which you can still make into 40K Marines, and you can use them in 40K since the rules for those Marines have clearly not gone away).

It’s humorous that people will keep trotting this line out in face of the evidence…

Warmaster is correct to remind us that the HH plastics don’t need to make it into the Marine Codex to be 40K playable.  It’s a very good point!

Edited by Bryan Blaire

9 hours ago, Mana said:

Parts of the market didn't like that, so they announced "the old world" game, because they know they can make money there. It's just business.

But also because of IP laws they've been on the wrong side of, if they don't support their IP with rules and models, it's fair game for others in certain locations. 

Hopefully they mke it into the new codex - at least the new plastic contemptor with more options as opposed to the monopose one, it would be nice to get conversiona beamers and such on them in 40k. 

• 2 weeks later...