Super Mobile Imperial Guard

L30n1d4s

As everyone is continuing to look through the new AM rules, with the Codex officially out now, one thing that jumped out to me was the crazy mobility you can get (we are talking Harlequin Jetbike levels of Mobility) when combining some of the new Guard options.

So, for example, if you take Mechanized Infantry and Swift as the Wind for your traits, load a few squads into Tauroxes, and then give them the "Full Throttle" order, you have the following:

-Taurox has base move of 14"

-Swift as the Wind makes them move another +2"

-Full Throttle makes them move another +2"

-Mechanized Infantry allows the units they are carrying to disembark 3+ after moving

That means your infantry can move/disembark a total of 21" in a single turn (oh, and still shoot, BTW)!

Similarly, Valks can still move up to 40" (so almost the whole board) and disembark units anywhere along that move, but now Scions can be greater than 6" away from enemy forces (much better than the old 9" bubble) and no longer have danger of losing models to bad disembark rolls, making them ideal objective stealers (remember, a 5 man Scion squad is still only 55 points, so a great trading for getting an Objective or Secondary Objective when you need it).

Finally, now that Scout Sentinels can set up 9" away from enemy Deployment Zones and move 12" (can be 14" with Swift as the Wind), plus can move another 6" after shooting with the "Maverick Maneuvers" Strat, they can get to almost any place on the board quite reliably, meaning no Objective is safe!

Anyway, I am excited to see what happens here with AM competitively, especially at the Top Tables, where everyone seems to say that Mobility is the most important factor to consider.

Full throttle also allows automatic 6 inch advance and count as stationary. Does that mean you can move the Taurox potentially 24 inches and still disembark? That'd be 27 inches then. I'd need to check the transport rules again.

Edited by jarms48

If I were to trade Born Soldiers for anything, it would likely be Swift as the Wind, and one other. I don’t quite see Mechanized Infantry as the obvious pairing though, simply on the grounds that our infantry units aren’t “killy” enough to trade up effectively. 

3 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

If guard getting out of a transport was scary, then I would agree:laugh:

I tend to agree on this front. In my lists so far, I’ve saved Mechanized Infantry for a Kasrkin Squad in a Taurox/Chimera. There are two or three strats that stack with this tactic well, and have the chance to do some not-insignificant damage.  SatW on the transport is icing on the cake, in this case. 

The two standout regimental traits to pair with SatW are Armoured Superiority and (a dark horse) Recon Operators. The former synergizes with the vehicles which a hyper-mobile strategy relies on (vehicles, sentinels). The latter facilitates an interesting “board control” play for early turns that I think most hyper mobile armies also have.

7 hours ago, jarms48 said:

Full throttle also allows automatic 6 inch advance and count as stationary. Does that mean you can move the Taurox potentially 24 inches and still disembark? That'd be 27 inches then. I'd need to check the transport rules again.

No, you can only get out after a normal move.

14 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

If guard getting out of a transport was scary, then I would agree:laugh:

Most units are gonna shrug of that kinda damage and then wipe them out:tongue:

I suppose its handy for objective grabbing, if they survive:ermm:

Most armies are going to shrug off a dual melta/plasma blast possibly with a second plasma shot backed up by two autocannons and 7 lasguns?

which armies are these exactly?

same for chimeras…what armies are going to simply shrug off 2+ highS specials, 13 lasguns, a heavy bolter and a multilaser?

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

7 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

same for chimeras…what armies are going to simply shrug off 2+ highS specials, 13 lasguns, a heavy bolter and a multilaser?

Am I missing something that makes that scary to a unit.... cultists maybe:laugh:

Not dual heavy flamers on the chimera:huh:

2 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Am I missing something that makes that scary to a unit.... cultists maybe:laugh:

Not dual heavy flamers on the chimera:huh:

7 S5-6 shots will wreck most infantry units and light vehicles.

2 plasma or melta guns will likewise :cuss: up most vehicles pretty well.

the 13 lasguns are just a little bit of icing on the cake oh yeah and 7 of those las guns will probably have exploding 6s

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven