3 player Mission suggestions?

Got a game coming up this weekend. 3 players, each can go up to 3k points. But because of time constraints, we can only get 1 game in. We could go 2v1, but we're not sure how to handle reactions & such. Anybody have a suggestion for either a 1v1v1 mission or how to do a 2v1 game?

Pretty sure 6th or 7th edition had 3 player scenarios written for it and white dwarf had some team rules in it for aod2 specifically recently, 2v1 games are usually less fun than just doing a silly 3 way in my experience.

I would say go ahead and do 3k vs 3k, with one side a team with 1500 each. Reactions would just be normal as if the team was one army. I guess the only wrinkle is the legion specific reactions, but that is easily mitigated by saying the team only has one legion reaction between them, forcing them to pick. Alternatively, they could both use theirs and the 3k player could use theirs twice.

I think Ripper’s suggestion is the best way to go. It’s how I’ve always played it in the past. You could also handle legion reactions by saying the two player team had access to both of their legion reactions but if used they took up all your reaction allotment for that phase, including things like augury scanners which normally circumvent the restrictions.

Easy enough to find, and i remember playing this scenario a few times and it works alright, though we did allow 3 way assaults as they arent too complicated to run. 

https://imgur.com/838Vx8H

The other thing that can work is one player well dug in/fortified in the middle and opponents coming on from the short edges. There are objectives in the middle players deployment zone but both attacker forces are worth kill points to everyone, though i forget the exact numbers it worked alright as middle player isnt as worth killing which negates a bit of ganging up.

The problem with 2:1 scenarios is that it generally sucks to be the lone player, you have to do twice the thinking, you are isolated and up against a pair of opponents, who often feel they cant communicate clearly but are twice as likely to spot mistakes and openings while vying for the single opponents attention constantly. Sometimes people feel like splitting down to a half sized army isnt playing a proper battle either. 

Reactions and FOC are thorny too, if you want to keep things fair you need to limit the allied players to one FOC/Allied detachment between them (Easier with smaller games at least) and i suspect one shared pool of reactions too including the legions special one. (Personally id say first one to use it gets it, if their teammate disagrees roll off and winner picks if it happens or not this time, wait until next phase to try again. Adds some fun friction ;) ).

But yeah, ultimately i think its better to embrace a little bit of fuzziness and have fun than try to have close to a normal game and stub your toes. I just remembered Triumph and treachery being rather good too, as a supplement for warhammer it might need more work though.

@Noserenda thanks for the suggestion, we’re going to try a modified version of that mission. Basically changed a bit of who can act turn 1 (if shot at, they can act normally, but only against an opponent that fired at it first), and how some scoring worked. It’s looking like I’m the only one bringing a primarch, so I made killing them worth more victory points (normally I don’t bring one, but I wanted to try him out and it’s the only way to have a 3k list that is fully painted).

Edited by arnesh88

The most recent white Dwarfs have rules for multiplayer Heresy Scenarios, that they fought in the issues. 

Personally I'd havea go at running this with the ambush deployment from the book with 1500pts on either opposing side and 3k for the defender in the middle. A 3k-3way is also a lot of points, I think it would work better with a lower level, especially if you're taking alternating turns and not on teams. 

Alternatively, Player A vs Players B and C, scoring points according to Blood Feud for each unit they kill. Player A's units when killed, come back on from reserve in the next turn. Any units <25% of the starting size can be removed and dont score anyone any points. 

Say it's like 2 shattered legions seeking shelter at Istvaan, then meeting uncountable resistance at the drop site.