Data Slate Supplanted by Codex?

TCC

GW just said (in their meta watch video 7:47) that new codex means data slate is ‘not needed’ (or thats their intention). I’m hoping they don’t just toe that line as the forgeworld tanks will suffer loosing the save etc.

Maybe they have a plan or they will keep some items on the data slate? I’m not convinced they will now. 

Well, that's pretty much the confirmation that it shouldn't be used for the time being.

What they do in the next dataslate will be a potentially different story.

Forgeworld units usually get some FAQ after the general Codex release, but I wouldn't expect more than the bare essentials to make them playable under the current rules. Actual stat upgrades probably won't come until a new Imperial Armour book.

I don't get that at all, loosing aoc, will put the vehicles back to where they were before, and people were not using them because they were being shot of the table too quickly:sad:

and really aoc went someway to help with this, not massively, but it did help:yes:

Artillery will just be dead choices, while there might be ways to get +1 to hit, there's no way of getting around giving enemy units +1 to saves:sad:

Bring on 10th then I guess:laugh:

Yep, in playing a local tournament league and next week I get to use the new codex (without the data slate). 

Artillery is dead for me (I’m running 1 field gun unit just to try out the new models I bought and painted) and then I’m running three Russ, but they will be staying out of the way as much as possible and I may swop one out in the future for rough riders or more kasrkin. 

Is artillery worth it in Guard vs Guard matchups? Im trynna bring in an ex vet to the hobby and he likes the look of Guard, so I was gonna let him use one of mine.  Were keeping it Guard vs Guard so he isnt overwhelmed with assorted faction rules and whatnot. 

I mean...our foot-based artillery will still hit on 4s, because you'll order it to to Take Aim. The vehicles will absolutely need Expert Bombardier...but once you use those, you're hitting on the same BS we've been using our artillery on pretty well for all of 8th and 9th. We just have to build for it a bit. I can't really understand the gloom about it.

AoC was very nice to have, but our main tanks still ALL have 2+ saves and we can easily give multiple vehicles 5++ now. I've played a few games with Russes now. They're absolut monsters for their damage and take quite a bit of effort to destroy.

Not having played with the new dex I may be off the mark, but without our previous ability to ignore the penalties for shooting at units out of LOS makes our tank artillery vastly over pointed.  It makes mortars at 50 points each unusable in HWS, and I don't see the point of having them in an infantry squad under any circumstance.  That's just me though.    

I suppose I'm with sairence. There are so many potential good builds. Your army is probably going to be slightly smaller. You need to lean into your build. I can quite happily play an arty list, there's just other things I want to try first. We still punch better at range than most whilst also being able to screen.

As for mortars. They're massively buffable. There's multiple ways to make them maneuverable. They're stronger. There's a strat that doubles unit numbers for blast that cries out for solars blessing late in the game. They could fit into a lot of lists. I just don't think I want a pit of them. I don't want to play that list. There's other stuff as well that I think can just fit easily into a lot of lists. I think we'll see lots of mixed lists with a focus.

14 minutes ago, Santaclauswitz said:

I suppose I'm with sairence. There are so many potential good builds. Your army is probably going to be slightly smaller. You need to lean into your build. I can quite happily play an arty list, there's just other things I want to try first. We still punch better at range than most whilst also being able to screen.

As for mortars. They're massively buffable. There's multiple ways to make them maneuverable. They're stronger. There's a strat that doubles unit numbers for blast that cries out for solars blessing late in the game. They could fit into a lot of lists. I just don't think I want a pit of them. I don't want to play that list. There's other stuff as well that I think can just fit easily into a lot of lists. I think we'll see lots of mixed lists with a focus.

Unfortunately the small play areas and (for tournaments) the clutter of terrain means that long range firepower isn’t particularly useful for direct fire weapons.

44 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Unfortunately the small play areas and (for tournaments) the clutter of terrain means that long range firepower isn’t particularly useful for direct fire weapons.

I'm certainly no tournament player. Maybe one day. The first guard models I had were plastic in a big box with heavy weapons on their shoulders. I just like the codex. I'm loving the synergies between keywords which just seems guard to me. I love combos and there looks like there's cool stuff you can do with loads of different models. I've a few models and like the idea that I can have lots of choice fielding armies which are going to be fun to play. I'm excited to get hold of the new models: build, paint and fit them into my army. Bring on the kasrkin! Sally forth Solar! Santa I've been a good boy this year!

Also codex hasn't been played in a tournament. I reckon this codex is better than 45%.

24 minutes ago, Santaclauswitz said:

I'm certainly no tournament player. Maybe one day. The first guard models I had were plastic in a big box with heavy weapons on their shoulders. I just like the codex. I'm loving the synergies between keywords which just seems guard to me. I love combos and there looks like there's cool stuff you can do with loads of different models. I've a few models and like the idea that I can have lots of choice fielding armies which are going to be fun to play. I'm excited to get hold of the new models: build, paint and fit them into my army. Bring on the kasrkin! Sally forth Solar! Santa I've been a good boy this year!

Also codex hasn't been played in a tournament. I reckon this codex is better than 45%.

The codex is significantly better no doubt, I’m just pointing out that being good at long range firepower in an edition that really hampers using long range firepower may not be all that great.

2 hours ago, greatcrusade08 said:

How do you all find the basilisk now we lost the indirect fire protection.

Are they worth taking?

Any of our indirect fires are a tough sell without the dataslate. Especially when you could take Russes in those slots, I think it’s a no-brainer. That’s from a competitive perspective.

If you want a thematic artillery army? There are great options!