Well, here it is! The Horus Heresy army is complete.

You know why I like 30k more than 40k right now?

A set of rules and models were released. I bought the models and got the army ready over a period of a few months, and the rules haven't been changed or the models invalidated in that time! Lol

Anyways, here is a showcase of around 3000 points of models. I own a few others, and could probably put together an army of 4k points at a push.

20221202_113944.jpg

20221202_121343.jpg

20221202_114624.jpg

20221202_114410.jpg

20221202_121531.jpg

20221202_115222.jpg

20221202_114050.jpg

20221202_114056.jpg

The 3k list consists of 70 models, and I wanted to make the army thematic, and in keeping with the philosophy behind the Logos Lectora - a good number of bodies, supported by key units.

Edit: Fixed Typo

Edited by Orange Knight

Looks great!

The 40k churn is really hard to feel good about purchases, for me at least. 30k has historically had the reverse problem though; the lack of balance passes leaves bad units bad for a very long time. Hopefully they find a middle ground between "every other week" and "over three years" lol .

Very awesome, your Ultramarines look amazing.

I like the lack of churn as well. I can figure most things out, so that they don't FAQ/alter stuff even a few months later doesn't bother me too much. I'd personally love to see them adopt the MESBG two FAQs/updates a year.

A beautiful looking army! I especially like the shade of blue and the lovely clean, neat paint job. There are so many grimed-up armies these days and although I like that too its nice to see a force with a cleaner look, I think it suits the Ultramarines.

A fantastic force, you must feel very proud to have completed it. 

This is literally the conversation I had whilst playing 30k last night. Got back into gaming at the beginning of the year. Quickly moved from 40k to 30k after the faction I was playing (quins) got about 4 different rulesets in 3 months. Exhausting. 

Loving your work!!

Thanks all

I think FW themselves were the inspiration behind a lot of the dirty/scratched paint schemes that are so popular across the Horus Heresy, but I much prefer the clean schemes that are typically associated with the 40k promotional paint work.

I was very happy to see the new Sons of Horus and Imperial Fists on the official website were painted in a cleaner way, and wanted the same for these Ultramarines. 

• 2 months later...

Thank you everyone. I wanted the force to look very uniform.

When I play with the full 3k army the games are slow, but they always feel quite thematic and enjoyable.

It's a lot of fun to experience some rules from past editions such as challenges and initiative.

I do regret not investing in two Deimos Rhinos, but I had the old kits lying around not doing anything so I repainted them as Heresy Ultramarines.

I'm also very happy that I randomly invested in a Sevrin Loth model a few years back that I converted slightly to a 30k Librarian. Shame he's out of production now...