Share your Hobby Setup

Hopefully this is a kosher topic -- anyone have any favorite hobby setups? Organization, tools, desk layouts or just ways to get your best work done? I've been working on my setup for a while and am starting to get pretty happy with it, but am always up to new ideas and seeing what others have done.

To start things off, here's my current workstation: https://www.instagram.com/p/ClsFmN-LY6u/

317708709_155005710603299_4279347358315601826_n.jpg

On 12/8/2022 at 2:43 AM, pawl said:

Not quite so impressive as yours, unfortunately! For now I'm limited to a small area to work in, but it's not too bad =]

https://warhamateur.com/blogs/excuses-for-failure/11-my-hobby-desk-distracted-me/

Nice and tidy! For me the challenge is mostly just an outgrowth of my ADHD. I need two things: 1. no set up time. If I have to spend 15 minutes 'getting ready' to hobby then I can easily talk myself out of it. The 2nd is "immediate access", which is why I've done everything I can to only load up my shelving units with things that I won't want moment to moment (my oil paints, clean up tools, and unusual basing materials in the small one under the desk; I also have a big wheeled cart that keeps some of my backlog of models and other things I won't need while painting). I know if I had a setup like yours those drawers of paint would become amorphous piles pretty fast and then frustrate me, but it looks like yours is in good order (or you at least got it that way for your post!)

4 hours ago, Stolid Fox said:

Nice and tidy! For me the challenge is mostly just an outgrowth of my ADHD. I need two things: 1. no set up time. If I have to spend 15 minutes 'getting ready' to hobby then I can easily talk myself out of it. The 2nd is "immediate access", which is why I've done everything I can to only load up my shelving units with things that I won't want moment to moment (my oil paints, clean up tools, and unusual basing materials in the small one under the desk; I also have a big wheeled cart that keeps some of my backlog of models and other things I won't need while painting). I know if I had a setup like yours those drawers of paint would become amorphous piles pretty fast and then frustrate me, but it looks like yours is in good order (or you at least got it that way for your post!)

For me the biggest impact was reducing setup/pack down time. Previous to having a dedicated table I was looking at a solid 20-30 minutes either side, which sucked. Now it's pretty much just fresh water!

The next thing I want to pick up is some Arttystation paint racks to free up the drawers. For the number of bottles they store they're the smallest option, as I don't have much on-desk space, but they would leave things much more organised. The Citadel pots I'm slowly converting to bottles, too. The drawers are already too full and getting messy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, these photographs are really making me realise what an improvised mess my hobby space is. I'd love to have a sprawling desk with a dedicated lighting setup. I guess it's more of an incentive to tidy the spare room and rethink it's organisation.

Edited by Magos Takatus