Iron Warriors Mastadon List

burninhello
Go to solution Solved by MichaelCarmine,

Howdy folks, I love me the mastadon, but I'm having a hard time building a list around one. My local meta is semi competitive. 

Praetor, breachers, and dominator ride in mastadon. Herald goes with tyrants. Leviathan tries to control mid field. 

In general, army is very aggressive and pushes up with mastadon as lynchpin

++ Crusade Force Organisation Chart (LA -   IV: Iron Warriors) [2,993Pts] ++

+ Allegiance: +

IV: Iron Warriors

Allegiance: Loyalist

+ HQ: +

Centurion, Cataphractii : Herald, Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Legion Standard, Thunder Hammer

Praetor, Cataphractii: Tyrant of the Dodekathon, Warsmith, Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Combi-Bolter, Grenade Harness, Paragon Blade

+ Elites: +

Apothecarion Detachment
2x Apothecary: Bolt Pistol, Power Armour, Chainsword: Chainsword
. Apothecary: Bolt Pistol, Power

5xDominator: Combi-Bolter, Thunder Hammer

+ Troops: +

Breacher Squad:
.   Legion Breacher Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Power Fist, Volkite Charger
. 13x  Breachers (collective): 13x Bolt Pistol, 11x Volkite Charger, 2xGrav Guns, Legion vexilla

Breacher Squad [304Pts]
.   Legion Breacher Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Power Fist, Volkite Charger
. 13x  Breachers (collective): 10x Bolt Pistol, 11x Volkite Charger, 2xMelta Gun, vexilla

+ Heavy Support: +

Deredeo Dreadnought Talon: Aiolos Missile Launcher, Arachnus Heavy Lascannon Battery, Twin-linked Heavy Bolter

Leviathan Dreadnought Talon: Cyclonic Melta Lance, Leviathan Siege Claw, Phosphex Discharger,2x Twin-linked Volkite Calivers

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad [520Pts]
. 8x  Tyrant w/Power Fist: 8x Combi-Bolter, 8x Power Fist
. Siege Master: Power Fist

+ Lords of War: +

Mastodon [700Pts]: 2x Heavy Flamers, Skyreaper Battery

++ Total: [2,993Pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

I'd be tempted to leave a unit of breachers at the back and transport the Levi upfield if you can still do that. 

Unsure of the gravs on the breachers - t1 they're loaded up, say they get out t2, then they cannot fire until t3 or later - unless you start them in your DZ and lay down fire from there, and the tyrants can walk upfield. 

• Solution

Just so you know - if you put the Apothecaries into the Breachers, they loose their "Heavy" benefits. 

They are also really pricey with that loadout. I'd recommend, changing atleast one of those Squads (the GravGun one) for 2 bare tacticals with shrapnel bolters. then put the Apothecaries in them, and plant them on objectives (HotL). Maybe find another few points and boost them up to 15 each.

On 12/9/2022 at 8:58 AM, MichaelCarmine said:

Just so you know - if you put the Apothecaries into the Breachers, they loose their "Heavy" benefits. 

They are also really pricey with that loadout. I'd recommend, changing atleast one of those Squads (the GravGun one) for 2 bare tacticals with shrapnel bolters. then put the Apothecaries in them, and plant them on objectives (HotL). Maybe find another few points and boost them up to 15 each.

Unless I'm misremembering the Apothecarion Detachment rule I believe they do gain the subtype of the unit they join, which would mean they do gain heavy.  

• 1 month later...

The imagery is great but unfortunately I don’t think the Mastodon is worth its cost. If you take one you’ll inevitably be putting a vast concentration of points in one place and then acting pretty predictably. And all those points at inactive on turn one while they’re stuck inside the Mastodon - which itself barely shoots. That’s not how games are won. 

Having said that, if you really want to use one then I think your approach is about right. Use it to get a durable Line unit and some hitting power up the table while the rest of your stuff shoots. Make room inside for your Leviathan too and you’ll have a decent hammer to land on people.