3k Alpha + BA Mobius Configuration

Xenith

Right, I'm trying to actually write a strong 3k list that I can build to, rather than just getting whatever the hell I want, hopefully this will focus my painting and win some games. 
I love the idea and implementation of the Mobius configuration, so thought to include a dangerous set of BA allies that couldn't be ignored, yet are easily killed, which will hopefully net me a bonus VP. 

My thought was Day of Sorrows for the BA to be a real pain in the ass, and Leviathal for the Alphas to maybe snag another 2VP from slay the warlord. This does mean that the predators have to start in reserve, but the MoS is there to help with that and mess with my opponent's reserves. It might be possible to swap these for 2x Leviathans. 

I have played for a long time, but am rusty with Heresy/7th ed rules, so any tips on composition, anti tank, enough line units is appreciated, likewise any weaknesses could do with pointing out to me. 

I do need another Fast slot to be able to take 2x heavies with the Leviathal.

The general idea for the army would be to play to my own mission - the HH missions are generally a bit odd and often end in a stalemate, so I'm using the bonus VP's to win. STW is usuall worth at least 1, sometimes D3, giving me 3 - 5 for that, and 1 more for allies dying. The vigilator goes wherever needed, MoS with the lascannons, safe and sound, and BS5, and the sabateur with the seekers for +8" range, hopping out if they see a target of opportunity. The Apoc would generally go with the seekers, who grant him precision shots etc, or could go with the HSS or despoilers.  

++ Crusade Force Organisation Chart (LA - XX: Alpha Legion) [2,485Pts] ++

+ Expanded Army Lists +

Expanded Army List Profiles:: Exemplary Units On, Legacy Units On

+ Allegiance: +

XX: Alpha Legion
. Rewards of Treachery:   IX: Blood Angels

Allegiance: Loyalist

+ Rite of War: +

Rite of War: Headhunter Leviathal (AL)

+ HQ: +

Centurion [100Pts]
. Saboteur: Artificer Armour, Nemesis Bolter, Pair of Lightning Claws

Centurion [100Pts]: The Mobius Configuration (Loyalist Only), Warlord
. Vigilator: Artificer Armour, Power Dagger, Nemesis Bolter

Centurion [95Pts]
. Master of Signals: Artificer Armour
. . Bolt Pistol,Chainsword

+ Elites: +

Apothecarion Detachment [55Pts]
. Apothecary: Bolt Pistol, Power Armour, Power Dagger
. . Chainsword: Chainsword
. . Minor Combi-Weapon: Minor Combi-Weapon - Volkite Charger

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [395Pts]
. Contemptor Dreadnought: Gravis Lascannon, Gravis Lascannon
. Contemptor Dreadnought: Combi-Bolter, Gravis Melta Cannon, Gravis Power Fist  with in-built ranged weapon

The Angel's Tears [200Pts]
. Arch-Erelim: Chainsword, Iliastus Assault Cannon, Power Armour, Volkite Serpenta
4x Erelim: Iliastus Assault Cannon

+ Troops: +

Despoiler Squad [145Pts]
.   Legion Despoiler Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Power Fist
. 7x  Despoilers (collective): 7x Bolt Pistol, 7x Chainsword
. Despoiler w/ Options: Bolt Pistol, Legion Vexilla, Power Axe
. Despoiler w/ Options: Bolt Pistol, Power Axe

Reconnaissance Squad [135Pts]
.  Legion Recon Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Nemesis Bolter
4x Recon Legionary: Bolt Pistol, Nemesis Bolter

Tactical Squad [135Pts]
.  Legion Tactical Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Armour, Power Fist
. 9x  Legionaries (collective): 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Bolter
. Legionary w/ Options:: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Legion Vexilla

+ Fast Attack: +
Headhunter Kill Team [200Pts]
. Headhunter Prime: Bolt Pistol, Magna Combi-Weapon - Meltagun, Power Armour
. 3x Headhunter w/Combi-weapon: Magna Combi-Weapon - Meltagun
. Headhunter w/Heavy Weapon: Multi-Melta
. Rhino Transport

Seeker Squad [215Pts]
.  Legion Seeker Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Kraken Bolter, Power Dagger
. 9x Legion Seeker: Bolt Pistol, Kraken Bolter, Legion Vexilla; Augury Scanner

+ Heavy Support: +

Heavy Support Squad [290Pts]: Lascannon
.  Legion Support Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol
. 8x Legionaries; Augury Scanner, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox

Predator Squadron  [420Pts]
3x Predator: 2x Lascannons, Magna-Melta Cannon

++ Allied Detachment (LA -  IX: Blood Angels) [610Pts] ++

+ Allegiance: +

IX: Blood Angels

Allegiance: Loyalist
+ Rite of War: + Rite of War: The Day Of Sorrows (BA)

+ HQ: +
Dominion Zephon [420Pts]
. Destroyer Assault Squad: Meltabombs
. .   Destroyer Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Phosphex Bomb, Thunder Hammer, Two Bolt Pistols
. . 2x   Destroyer w/2x Bolt Pistols, Chainsword: 2x Chainsword, 2x Two Bolt Pistols
. . Destroyer w/ Options: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword
. . . Missile Launcher (With suspensor web and rad missiles only)
. . Destroyer w/ Options: Power Axe, Two Bolt Pistols

+ Troops: +
Assault Squad [190Pts]: Combat Shields
Legion Assault Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power Armour, Power Fist
7x  Legionaries (collective): 7x Bolt Pistol, 7x Chainsword
2x Legionary w/  Bolt Pistol, Power Axe

Things I could do: 
Drop Zephon+ retinue for a Champion with paragon blade - cheap AP2, makes the allies even easier to kill, and saves me ~320pts. 
Drop predators and MoS - If I drop the preds, I have more on the table T1, and no longer need the MoS. I lose BS5 on the HSS, and a lot of great firepower from the preds. What could I get instead to match that firepower??
Add 1/2x leviathans with melta lances.

Add Effrit squad?

Edited by Xenith

Looks cool.

Does Zephon have Master of the Legion? Is that necessary for the BA Rite of War and would you lose it if you swapped to champion?

Anyway, I’m following this thread because I’m thinking of Mobius Configuration with Blood Angels as it will make maximum use of my models.

32 minutes ago, LameBeard said:

Looks cool.

Does Zephon have Master of the Legion? Is that necessary for the BA Rite of War and would you lose it if you swapped to champion?

Anyway, I’m following this thread because I’m thinking of Mobius Configuration with Blood Angels as it will make maximum use of my models.

Speaking of which, the AL detachment would need a Master of the Legion too, to run the RoW Headhunter Leviathal, or am i missing something?

Good catch, thanks! Zephon does have master of the Legion, while the Alphas dont have one - forgot totally about that so I really need him or a standard praetor if I want to run Day of Sorrows - I think Zephon is a steal for 185pts, as by the time you get a jump pack and paragon blade on a praetor you're practically there anyway...

The Alpha RoW I'm not too bothered about, the headhunter bonus VP is nice, but I think I have to give up too much (tanks) to get it. Unless I can get some Leviathans in there. 

Any ideas how to make this list more competitive? I have a range of stuff, so any tweaks, unit replacements or optimisations are welcome! 

If you want to improve competitiveness of the list consider switching out the HSS to two boxdreads with Gravis lascannons on both arms, those will cost 165p each, 330p for both which is almost equivalent as a full 10 man HSS lascannon team.

From both dreads you have 8 lascannon shots at BS5. Statistically you will hit with 7 shots, same as the 10x HSS squad (without master of signal in the squad), but with a 6" move, which open ups for better options in terms of target selection. These shots coming from T6 2+ 5++ dreadnoughts with Ld9 for the same amount of points.

I know HSS with lascannons are an unit seen as a very competetive unit but I think the double box dread maxed out on lascannons option is a sleeper unit superior for same points value as the lascannon squad.

Not a warlord, you need a model with the Master of the Legion rule. Basically praetors, primarchs and delegatus consuls.

Some Rites of War say that they cannot take/be allies but generally as long as the allied detachment includes a praetor or delegatus then Rites are an option.