Converting Calgar into a Space Wolf Gravis Captain?

I have been thinking of getting a Gravis Wolf Lord for my Space Wolves recently. 7 Power Fist attacks on the charge, hitting on 2s is pretty tasty and 7 T5 wounds before Relics is not too shabby on the defense either. Now I could just get the new kit and wolf it up appropriately but Marneus Calgar is coming out in Imperium for £8.99 in the new year and he looks a pretty imposing model to convert into a new Wolf Lord. I am just looking for any thoughts or ideas from people who have built or converted Calgar themselves.

Looking at the sprues, it does not seem like it would be too hard. A lot of the UM symbols are extra parts that can be replaced with wolfy parts from my bits box.

• Replace head with SW head - simple swap
  • Eagle and Laurel iconography is sufficiently generic Imperium to leave alone
  • Iron Halo can be removed and replaced
  • UM belt buckle and leather straps are a separate piece so can be replaced with something like a piece of wolf pelt.
  • UM symbols on the fists will need to be carved off. Fiddly but not too hard if done before assembly.
  • UM shoulder pad replaced with a generic or SW gravis shoulder pad.
  • Eagles on backpack. I could leave these in place or carve them off and replace them with wolf-head vents from the SW back pack if they are large enough.
  • UM symbol on hem of cloak can probably be filled in with liquid greenstuff.

image.thumb.png.be6de804a88399f258e4dc754e67d4a7.png

Can anyone think of any other details that will need changing? Are there any deal-breakers you can see in the above list? I quite enjoy converting stuff but I am always interested to hear ideas before I start. For reference, here is a regular Primaris Captain I wolfed up a few years ago. I am thinking of something along the same lines to represent the same character getting a shiny new suit of armour.

gallery_82363_15236_363574.jpg

Edited by Karhedron

1 hour ago, Grotsmasha said:

Looking at the sprues, I really do think a head swap on the Eagles would be very straight forward. Another path may be to swap out Calgars pack with that of a regular Gravis Aggressor

I have bits of Calgar laying around from a Crimson Fists conversion I never did.

The backpack as our Honoured Brother Grot says works.

I would be tempted as suggested to paint them raven like.

But either works.

20221206_133918.jpg

20221206_133852.jpg.1f818fae338587fb4f4e4b277a6a2f47.jpg

@Karhedron Are you UK based?

Edited by Brother Captain Arkley