Ammo enamel washes, toxic

Hello,

I got to ask, for aboy a year and a half I have been using ammo enamel washes now and then. But as my painting skill improves I find myself using them more and more these day's (about once a week). Since then the safety sign has been bugging me.

So are these paint's really that toxic? Or only when doing something wrong (like drinking it)?

Does it say on the bottle, or is there an SDS for it somewhere?

Enamels have volatile organic compound fumes (in house paints), so wearing appropriate PPE for that is recommended to avoid inhalation damage, but honestly not sure if the same applies to small bottles of the paints (I’m going to guess that it does).  You definitely want to take precautions like using in a well-ventilated area for odorless spirits thinners and the like for enamels and oils.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

Most enamel paints contain solvents which are not especially pleasant. As always, it is hard to put a value on risk. To be on the safe side, I like to open a window for ventelation when using enamels and put them outside to dry where the volatile solvents can disperse harmlessly.

The new SDS is an international standardized format (MSDS could vary from country to country depending on laws), but that doesn’t negate what Axineton said - if you want it, you should request and the manufacturer will provide.  Realize that it is going to reference safety information for an occupational setting, it’s not really intended for home use, but it can have interesting information on it for the end consumer as well.

Unless you paint A LOT, you probably don’t need to reference occupational safety levels, but it’s there as a reference if it helps you feel more comfortable.

Definitely don’t do something with it you know you shouldn’t, like you mentioned drinking, or huffing it, or something like that.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

7 hours ago, Axineton said:

I didn’t know that they were standardised internationally now mate that’s good to know. I think we still call them MSDS here in the UK but I suspect that will change soon then.

I don’t know how swiftly it will change - they are mostly still called MSDS in normal discussions here in the U.S. from what I’ve seen (most academic/lab stuff I’ve been involved in uses the new reference term), even when the manufacturer has already converted the format and is in line with the new standard.

As long as you are taking regular breaks and are in a room with some airflow/ventilation there is not really much to worry about them. Try to not get your hands soaked in it regularly, dont lick your brush, and no mater how much it looks like chocolate dont eat it. 

if you are still worried a 3m respirator can be had for about £20

Mineral turpentine is a common enamel solvent so I checked out the SDS for it. Long story short:

• It's a skin irritant, but a non-hazardous one, just wash your hands.
  • It can cause dizziness, headaches, and nausea (at the concentrations likely to be in enamel); you need more ventilation or a respirator if you experience these effects.
  • Don't swallow it, it's highest hazard rating is for getting into lungs because it was swallowed. It can really mess up your GI tract and your lungs (from fuming while in your esophagus and stomach.
  • It has a flashpoint of 36.5 degrees celsius or 97.7 degrees fahrenheit