Can two units be the closest enemy unit at once?

Blight1
Go to solution Solved by Acebaur,

Actually a couple questions involving this one.  So say you have an ability that says you get a bonus when shooting at the closest enemy unit and you have 2 units equidistant from you. (Not getting into the incredibly fine measurement to actually confirm this)  Do you get your bonus against both of those enemy units or would you have to pick one of them to be the "closest enemy unit"?

Now say you have two units in range that are different distances away but you allocate your shots to both units and slow roll it.  You manage to kill the original closest unit with those shots declared against it and move onto the next unit.  Do you now get your bonus against the 2nd unit as they are now the closest enemy unit and you are slow rolling it?

For the first one I would think that you have to choose which unit is considered closest and not get the bonus against both. For the second, even though you slow-rolled the individual attacks all attacks are technically committed at the same time with the same game state, so you do not get the bonus for killing off the initial closest unit and then shooting the next. 

Lord_Ikka is correct on both marks, for anything equidistant this is what the Core Rules say under Measuring Distances:

If a rule refers to the closest unit or model, and two or more are equidistant, then the player who is controlling the unit that is using the rule in question selects which unit is the closest for the purposes
of resolving that rule

Smite is a good example of this rule in action.

For the second part, as Ikka says, a unit's attacks all happen at the same time. It's why you're able to still shoot with the rest of a unit even if you kill the only model you're able to see, for an example.

Is there anywhere that says that all attacks made by a unit happen at the same time in the rules?

Suppose both melee and shooting since a similar situation could occur with a character that gives out a feel no pain buff dying "before" another unit from the same model's attacks.

I thought in 9th all attacks are resolved one at a time.  Line of sight and range are determined before making the attacks but then you resolve each shot individually, right?

Thanks Trawling for that.  Wish I could mark multiple posts as the answer assuming the timing rules are defined somewhere. 

Edited by Blight1
Added context

13 hours ago, Blight1 said:

I thought in 9th all attacks are resolved one at a time.  Line of sight and range are determined before making the attacks but then you resolve each shot individually, right?

Technically, yes. In reality (and in the explanation for Fast Dice Rolling), you will make all your attacks that have the same profile (S/AP/Damage), that are targeted at the same unit, at the same time and then move to the next weapon (so all bolter shots, then all plasmagun shots, then missile launcher, and so on), then on to the next target.

As far as the timing (regarding, say, an aura from a character being applied in the combat that he died from), I know I read something about it but am having a devil of a time actually finding it.

• Solution

Attacks are not simultaneous which is why you cannot find where it states that. To use your FNP example: Take Grimaldus being attacked by an enemy unit. He is required to allocate wounds to his servitors first. One of them grants a FNP. When that one dies the FNP drops and no subsequent wounds get to be rolled for FNP on Grimaldus or the other servitors(in practice you'd kill that one last but just to illustrate the point) 

As for your closest unit bonus, I'd need to see the wording on that bonus to determine when that bonus is determined  before I could rule one way or another.