Master Vox guardsman with a plasma pistol.

Cap'm Heckus

I need someone else to read the Cadian Command squad entry and tell me if I am wrong, but it appears the veteran guardsman with the master vox could replace his laspistol with a plasma pistol.

He’s listed as “veteran guardsman” armed with just a laspistol and the weapons options state that one VG may replace their laspistol with a plasma pistol.  The kit technically allows for it too.

it’s not a huge gain but it would allow for a command squad with 2 plasma guns and 2 plasma pistols and a medic to bring them back when they fry themselves.

thoughts?

C'mon guys. We're guardsmen, we're not to invent anything. We need to follow the instructions those folks in high command provided.

Let's take a closer look at the unit composition. Let's put the Officer aside for a while as his gear optins are (Thanks to the Emperor!) pretty clear. 

we have

Guardsman 1: Lasgun+Colors
Guardsman 2: Lasgun+medi-pack

Guardsman 3: Laspistol+Vox
Guardsman 4: Laspistol+Chansword

and all of them have frag grenades

As we want to exchange a Laspistol, we let Guardsmen 1 and 2 join their Officer in R&R, as long as they don't have laspistols in their gear.

The point in unit's dataslate about exchanging Laspistol sais:
"1 Cadian Veteran Guardsman's laspistol can be replaced with one of the following: 1 bolt pistol; 1 plasma pistol."

That's it. Nothing more. Which must lead us to conlusion that either Guardsmn 3 or Guardsman 4 can replace their weapon with plasma pistol. Not both. And only one of their laspistols will disappear from the squad's gear. It doesn't say that replacing laspistol also removes the Vox-caster.

So if we would decide to replace only one laspistol with plasma pistol the variants of unit's wargear are these:

Guardsman 3: plasma pistol+Vox
Guardsman 4: Laspistol+Chansword

OR

Guardsman 3: Laspistol+Vox
Guardsman 4: plasma pistol+Chansword

The second variant is less effective as long as the next poin in dataslate sais: "1 Cadian Veteran Guardsman's chainsword can be replaced with one of the following: blah-blah-blah; 1 plasma gun; blah-blah-blah." And call me dumb or blind but what i can see in unit's cost section of this so called codex is that plasma gun (obviously thanx to allmighty Copy-Paste) is free to take, on the contrary to plasma pistol which costs "+5 points"

So potentially, if we have another Command squad with Regimental colors to take the relic Standart, we can have The Cadian Comsquad like these:
Officer: Plasma pistol+Power sword

Guardsman 1: Plasma gun

Guardsman 3: Plasma pistol+Vox
Guardsman 4: Laspistol+Plasmagun

And pay only 10 points more for 2 plasma pistols