A few doubts about the new 9th ed. codex

Feral_80

Hi everybody,

After a long break with Guard, I'm hoping to bring it back to the table. I have a test match tomorrow at my local club and there are a few points of the new codex which I am not sure I am reading right. Can you please assist?

• Command Squad: basically, this seems just a way to get a 1-order (lower) officer, on the table, plus a squad of various guys all protected by the Character keyword. Do I get it right that there is no way to give a superior officer (Castellan etc.) a Command Squad? Does s/he simply have to run around on his own as standard characters?
  • Squadron keyword: now just a keyword to use with some orders etc., not anymore a way to fit 1-3 independent vehicles into 1 slot?
  • Platoon keyword: same as above?
  • Only way to order Auxilia units is by taking Leontus?

Many thanks for the assistance.

Command Squads are just as you describe. They are mostly

for buffing in the form of relics/orders/WL Traits. 

Castellans are solo characters. 

Platoon is only a keyword, for orders and maybe stratagems/relics. 

Commissars can also order auxilia. 

As far as Squadron, it is just a keyword. However, you can take Leman Russ in a unit size up to 3. They deploy together, but then act separately otherwise. I believe sentinels are unit size 1-3 as well. 

Edited by LtColKool

1) Command Squad: basically, this seems just a way to get a 1-order (lower) officer, on the table, plus a squad of various guys all protected by the Character keyword. Do I get it right that there is no way to give a superior officer (Castellan etc.) a Command Squad? Does s/he simply have to run around on his own as standard characters?

2) Squadron keyword: now just a keyword to use with some orders etc., not anymore a way to fit 1-3 independent vehicles into 1 slot?

3) Platoon keyword: same as above?

4) Only way to order Auxilia units is by taking Leontus?

1) The main benefit of the Command Squad imo, is the banner which gives reroll wounds of 1 in a 6" aura.
A Castellan can be joined by an Ogryn Bodyguard but thats about it. Since an officer can only give the same order once, I think having both a Castellan and a Command Squad is good, if you for instance want to issue Take Aim or FRFSRF more than once.

2) Yes, no more 1-3 for squadrons. The main point of the Squadron keyword is that it allows you to recieve (and bounce) orders. 

3) Same as above; keyword and allows you to recieve (and bounce) orders.

4) Regimental Orders on Auxilia is Leontus only yes iirc, but a regular commissar can still give them prefectus orders.

Page 75 covers the order-system and how to use it (who can recieve/give and how they "splash" to units in close proximity.)

Edited by Minsc

Thank you all! It's a bit weird that a senior officer can access nether a medi-pack nor a master-vox, even if he stands right next to them.

Seems like the Guard is starting to issue privileges to junior officers :dry: