Learning to play ninth edition

bluezenscorpion

Hello,

I have been playing games with a friend that is completely new to Warhammer 40K and I am working on learning ninth edition after some time away from the game. I play Tau and he plays Space Wolves. I am having trouble figuring out how to get stealth suits to work. If I forward deploy, they get charged pretty darn quick by TWC or Jump troops. I want to get these guys to work but their fire power is a bit lacking against marines and their burst cannon range is short even though I play as Borkan. Another trouble unit for me are Broadsides, I didn't have much luck with taking a single rail rifle model, I am thinking of taking two in hopes of bumping up the shot count and maybe I will see some better results. Also, I am not sure I understand the high-yield missile pod, is this weapon always fired as an indirect fire weapon even when I have line of sight? The weapon looks like it would still be fairly good if the indirect fire nerf is not always activated. 

I need to correct my question. I was looking through my codex and realized it is the smart missile system that does not need line of sight to fire at a unit. My question then is what if I do have line of sight, does the weapon profile still receive the nerf that all indirect fire weapons received several months back?

No. The nerf only applies when shooting targets outside LOS. It is a nerf to the mechanic rather than to the weapon. The rules specify that they only apply

If such a weapon targets a unit that is not visible (i.e. no models in a target unit are visible to the firing unit when you selected it as a target),

As above, the smart missiles can choose to target models out of line of sight, and if they do, you incur the -1 to hit and +1 to save penalties, however if you choose to target a unit in line of sight, then you do not suffer those penalties.