ANGRON - Rules Update.

MithrilForge

Really liking and looking forward to rules like Righteous Slaughter there. I think it's great that there'll be ways to tie things down in combat and other cool things to do in melee.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

How glorious it will be, making the charge and beginning the carnage.

Dreadclaws, rhinos, juggerlord, eightbound etc. are all suddenly lower priority targets, while still posing a threat.

Who you gonna shoot?! Choose quick! 

Do we have any idea on his points?

I imagine in excess of 300 since Abaddon is there. As I mentioned in the rumour thread I think he's fun, but perhaps a Landraider with Zerkers could net you more threat? 

I play my Iron Warriors Land raider a lot and even with my tricks to keep it alive, it can often go down in T1... not often but you have to keep in mind I can reduce the damage. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

3 hours ago, Khornestar said:

How glorious it will be, making the charge and beginning the carnage.

Dreadclaws, rhinos, juggerlord, eightbound etc. are all suddenly lower priority targets, while still posing a threat.

Who you gonna shoot?! Choose quick! 

I've already started getting my Rhinos painted, can't wait.

4 hours ago, Prot said:

Do we have any idea on his points?

I imagine in excess of 300 since Abaddon is there. As I mentioned in the rumour thread I think he's fun, but perhaps a Landraider with Zerkers could net you more threat? 

I play my Iron Warriors Land raider a lot and even with my tricks to keep it alive, it can often go down in T1... not often but you have to keep in mind I can reduce the damage. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

360 points in playtesting.

360 sounds pretty good to me. Magnus and Mortarion weigh in at 420 and 450 points respectively. Granted Angron has no psychic powers but his raw killing power and 2+ save combined with AoC means he moves and hits like a freight train.

Also compare to the Avatar of Khaine at 280 points. I would be quite happy to pay and extra 80 points for Angron's stat line and abilities.

7 hours ago, Karhedron said:

360 sounds pretty good to me. Magnus and Mortarion weigh in at 420 and 450 points respectively. Granted Angron has no psychic powers but his raw killing power and 2+ save combined with AoC means he moves and hits like a freight train.

Also compare to the Avatar of Khaine at 280 points. I would be quite happy to pay and extra 80 points for Angron's stat line and abilities.

And.... where exactly are you seeing Magnus and Motrarion being played? No ranged attack, and no psychic especially make a huge difference. The aura's are okay, but Morts is devastating and I still don't see him.

I think we need to know more, but my gut reaction is this is not a good start. I said elsewhere though it might be an overall better play to simply take a Landraider with Zerkers and let it loose on the Imperium. 

I have to see more details on the getting back up from the dead rules.... and the order of that and the Aura thing, etc. So far the no retreat aura is my favourite part of this model on top of him flying into the fray to use it.

Is AoC confirmed with Angron? (I guess they could change their mind on that.)

Edited by Prot

@Prot - I see your point indeed, but In fairness, your scene is super competitive and so fine tuned that if it doesn't cut it than it's out (no matter how cool it looks) as to the other side of the coin, casual gamers who love the models but just happen to play the "Actual Game" as a complement to the models, will greatly enjoy painting up and using  "Angry Ron" in a lot of games.

Cheers, M.  

3 hours ago, Mumeishi said:

@Prot - I see your point indeed, but In fairness, your scene is super competitive and so fine tuned that if it doesn't cut it than it's out (no matter how cool it looks) as to the other side of the coin, casual gamers who love the models but just happen to play the "Actual Game" as a complement to the models, will greatly enjoy painting up and using  "Angry Ron" in a lot of games.

Cheers, M.  

well it might be competitive, but it is always fluffy!  A strange combo but I see it. 
Truthfully, I do not like to really share opinion on units I have t played or don’t play against frequently. 

that being said you can bet I’ll try to use him. Where I will stumble is if a cool unit just doesn’t last long enough.  Like right now in my Iron Warriors I always use Oblits. Definitely a sub standard unit but I can get them to work just well enough that I try to keep them in most lists.  

the same will be true for Angron…you can bet I’ll be thoroughly trying to get him into any game. 

my hesitation right now is I have to wonder about just how elite this army is going to be. Points ergo bodies might be a real issue. (I want to use Termies in this army too)

3 minutes ago, Prot said:

well it might be competitive, but it is always fluffy!  A strange combo but I see it. 
Truthfully, I do not like to really share opinion on units I have t played or don’t play against frequently. 

that being said you can bet I’ll try to use him. Where I will stumble is if a cool unit just doesn’t last long enough.  Like right now in my Iron Warriors I always use Oblits. Definitely a sub standard unit but I can get them to work just well enough that I try to keep them in most lists.  

the same will be true for Angron…you can bet I’ll be thoroughly trying to get him into any game. 

my hesitation right now is I have to wonder about just how elite this army is going to be. Points ergo bodies might be a real issue. (I want to use Termies in this army too)

I don't know how much there is to really get out of his rules in a vacuum, before we really see how the army plays and feels. I'm definitely thinking turning off fall back is going to be the most useful, especially if the army around him can be mobile enough to get in there quickly. All I can tell right now is that he'll make things he hits die, which isn't really all that surprising or informative.

I definitely want to use terminators, already started getting some paint on that and rhinos while waiting.

Since Armor of Contempt is a balance dataslate thing it was likely included as a rule when Angron was playtested, but no way to know if it will still exist when the codex is launched. Or for any period of time, really.

7 hours ago, Khornestar said:

Since Armor of Contempt is a balance dataslate thing it was likely included as a rule when Angron was playtested, but no way to know if it will still exist when the codex is launched. Or for any period of time, really.

They codified AoC+ into Votann, so I don't think it will go away. It will be interesting if it's actually written into the book, though.

10 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

They codified AoC+ into Votann, so I don't think it will go away. It will be interesting if it's actually written into the book, though.

That’s encouraging! I am skeptical they’ll treat World Eaters with the same design philosophy, but that certainly bodes well.

Edit: Actually, is this what you’re talking about? Because this is a totally separate rule that includes the same effect as Armor of Contempt, but in no way suggests anything about the World Eaters codex IMO.

image.png.ede75e446207d71fb2ef6ba5f662c308.png

Edited by Khornestar

1 hour ago, Khornestar said:

That’s encouraging! I am skeptical they’ll treat World Eaters with the same design philosophy, but that certainly bodes well.

Edit: Actually, is this what you’re talking about? Because this is a totally separate rule that includes the same effect as Armor of Contempt, but in no way suggests anything about the World Eaters codex IMO.

image.png.ede75e446207d71fb2ef6ba5f662c308.png

Yeah, that's why I called it AoC+, because it's AoC, with more stuff.

My meaning with that is that with an official rule with the same effects and more in print elsewhere, I doubt they're going to just remove the rule. We can expect it to have some staying power.

• 1 month later...