500 pt Raven Guard starter list ??

Brother Clavero
Go to solution Solved by Dont-Be-Haten,

With the standard FoC?  HQ will be 100ish, two compulsory troops will be 125ish each, leaving about 150 to play with.  With RG, a Dark Fury Squad to accompany a Bane of Tyrants HQ could be interesting to build around.  So with that rough idea in mind:

:HQ: Champion with Jump Pack, Warlord: Bane of Tyrants - 115

:Troops: 10 man Tactical Squad, Sergeant with Raven's Talon - 115

:Troops: 10 man Tactical Squad, Sergeant with Powerfist - 115

:FA: 5 man Dark Fury Squad - 150

Then give someone a minor combi-weapon to round it out to 500?

The list would be more interesting if, with your opponent's permission, you each used the Allied Detachment FoC, as then you could take another unit instead of the second Tactical Squad.

Hope this helps!

Haha oops!  I think my advice stays the same, ditch the second Tactical Squad for something else.  I would favour a Seeker Squad, a Support Squad (Volkite Chargers?) or a Speeder as these fit in well with the ethos of RG (Flesh over Steel!).  But really it comes down to what models you'd like to collect, convert, paint and play with.

Raven guard aren't very good outside of their RoW in my opinion. They are probably one of the most reliant on their RoW to be considered strong. In order to gain the most benefits out of your specialties you will need to play unorthodoxlists. You should understand that, if you want to play 500 point games with them, without the RoW, you are playing with a worse army than most of the other Legionaries.

Just a fair forewarning.

That being said, there are small caveats to a 500 point list that warrants merit, just 50% of your army would fall to Deliverers to gain the most benefit out of them. 

How would you want to play them?

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten
Accidental submission

1 hour ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

Raven guard aren't very good outside of their RoW in my opinion. They are probably one of the most reliant on their RoW to be considered strong. In order to gain the most benefits out of your specialties you will need to play unorthodoxlists. You should understand that, if you want to play 500 point games with them, without the RoW, you are playing with a worse army than most of the other Legionaries.

Just a fair forewarning.

That being said, there are small caveats to a 500 point list that warrants merit, just 50% of your army would fall to Deliverers to gain the most benefit out of them. 

How would you want to play them?

Thanks for the response!  I really haven't decided just how I would like to play them yet (any suggestions?).  I am planning to gather my small force and see what works for me and build from there.  

• Solution

When I was first learning RG I took a simple Centurion, without any upgrades other than war gear. But you could easily spend a few extra points to take a champion, or other consul. I took 2 barebones tactical squads, but in hindsight, I probably would've just taken 1.

++ XIX: Raven Guard [500Pts] ++

+ HQ: +

Centurion [60Pts]: Centurion

. Legion Centurion: Artificer Armour

. . Bolt Pistol

. . Chainsword: Chainsword

+ Elites: +

Deliverers Squad [235Pts]

. Deliverer Chieftain: Combi-Bolter, Power Fist

. Deliverer: Combi-Bolter

. . Power Weapon: Power Sword

+ Troops: +

Tactical Squad [100Pts]

. Legion Tactical Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Armour

. 9x Legionaries (collective): 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Bolter

+ Fast Attack: +

Seeker Squad [105Pts]

. Legion Seeker Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Kraken Bolter, Power Armour

. Legion Seeker: Bolt Pistol, Kraken Bolter

++ Total: [500Pts] ++

here's something i might take for 500 points. It gives you a bit of sneakiness, some shock and awe, and then a built in RG RoW trait. And you could fiddle with it all you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Heresy games tend to work better at 1000+ points, in smaller games it's quite easy to make unbalanced lists which can hinder early game learning. 

I'd recommend trying some 1000 point games, proxy stuff if you need to, so you can get a feel for the game.

As others mentioned, a centurion HQ plus a couple of tactical squads is a good start, you can then add a few other units, like a contemptor, dark furys, terminators etc. I wouldn't worry about rites of war to start with.

Edited by Varyn