A baneblade are back:) 2k list

SadisticFurvy

Hello bolter and chainsword!

Apologies to mods for posting this in the wrong place, i couldnt find the army list section??

So the new codex has brought me out of a gaming hiatus, and I've a 2k game against some fast, shooty and stabby Eldar list tomorrow. My opponent is bringing his tournament list to a friendly game,

Anyways, My love of an 8th edition triple heavy list now seems viable again, 3 baneblades with 75 bodies on the ground.

Whats y'all thoughts on this, 

Can anyone see any other combos that I'm missing...

1990 points 0CP
Regimental Doctrines
- Armoured Superiority
- Industrial Efficiency

++Super Heavy Detachment 6cp++
Super Heavies 1325pts
Baneblade    450
Tank ace - Vaunted Praetorian

(Gives the 'officer' keyword and allows me to order the other baneblades - 

??As the above Baneblade is an 'officer', would the field promotion stratagem therefore allow me to give this Tank a warlord trait in the instance of my Warlord dying!?! Edit - i misread the rules!

Baneblade    420

Baneblade    455
Tank ace - Knight of Piety

++Battalion Detachment 0cp++
+Hq+ 125
Suicidal Castellan - Warlord(for now)
Command Squad
Full load out

+Troops+ 390pts
-Infantry Squad
Vox, Lascannon & Plasma gun
-Infantry Squad
-Shock Troops
Vox & 2 Plasma guns
-Shock Troops
Vox & 2 Plasma guns
-Shock Troops
Vox & 2 Plasma guns
-Shock Troops
Vox & 2 Plasma guns

+Elites+ 150pts
Tech priest Enginseer

5 Man Scion squad
Vox, Plasma Gun & Hot :cuss: Volley Gun

5 Man Scion squad

Over arching strategy with this list, plas/Las squads sit back on back field objectives, Shock Troops space out around the Command squad for orders. 

The Baneblades ride forward to clear any high priority targets with the 'Officer' in the centre to provide orders. (Tech priest babysitting the 'officer')

Once priority targets are cleared, Shock Troops move to centre whilst baneblades keep rolling up the field.

Scion drop in last moment to grab what they can where appropriate 

Edited by SadisticFurvy

Well here’s the thing, while you are correct in the way that you can “field Promote” a super heavy to a warlord. He doesn’t get a warlord trait because he is not eligible. If you read the field promote strat, the unit gets a warlord trait if eligible. A super heavy is not eligible because it lacks the character keyword.

Lastly I’d rather field lord Solar because he gives  orders to super heavies too. Lol

Edited by Hiroitchi

Thanks Hiroitchi, I misread that due to a poor pdf, then the guy in GW store read it and agreed, then i got excited :)

Have ordered Yarrick on Horseback to act as my Lord Solar, until then, I'm using what I've got. Still though, 3 baneblades should prove a challenge against the Eldar, my opponent is expecting an infantry heavy list and has tailored his list for it.

Fun fact… it can order itself because itself is a Super heavy lol. Loop hole.

I run Super heavy lists all the time, just know that terrain will play a key role in how effective your fight is going to be. Your super heavies will not get advantages to cover and you will always gain the disadvantages of terrain where your opponent can target you with true los while you can’t. Are you playing nephilim or tempest of war? It’s important because it’s a difference of 6 CP.

Lastly the key thing here is pivoting will count as movement and you measure movement from the farthest point of the model. You will be moving slow and maneuvering around terrain will be a challenge. 

Since you are running 3 baneblades pound em to the dust is your bread and butter and imho I love Born Soldiers. Oh and Baneblades get a pseudo objective secure because of its sheer size. You obsec unit can’t secure it if they can’t touch it. 

Your baneblade points are off. They are at base 430pts and at this time before it gets fully clarified will cost 20th per sponson. So it’s 470pts per Baneblade. Better play it safe then get used to having it. 

Baneblades no longer get the rule to fall back and charge, but since they’re titanic you can still fallback and shoot. 

so I’d run it like this

Super Heavy Combine Arms

-Patrol Detachment 0CP

HQ-
Lord Solar Leontus (170pts)

- Warlord

Cadian Command Squad (135pts)
    -  Ogryn Bodyguard /w Bullgryns plate
    - 1x Powerfist

Troops-
2x Death Korps of Krieg (160pts)
    - 1x Vox Caster
    - 1x  Plasma Gun
    - 2x Plasma Pistol
    - 2x Powers swords
    - 2x Medics

-Super Heavy Detachment 6CP

Baneblade (500pts)
   - 2x Sponsons
   - Tank Ace: Vaulted Praetorian

Baneblade (505pts)
    - 2x Sponsons
    - Tank Ace: Knight of Piety

Baneblade  (510pts)
    - 2x Sponsons
    - Tank Ace: Meticulous Calibrator

but what do I know haha take it with a grain of salt. Lol

I brought a Shadowsword to a weekender recently and it worked pretty well. Killed targets left, right and center and only died once after my opponent put most of his guns into it for three turns.

There's probably more efficient ways to spend 520p, but it was pretty fun to use. Competitively, the size and resulting lack of maneuverability for objetice control and LoS are your biggest issues.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake in points, have re-jigged my list to better fit.

I dont have extra sponsons to add on, nor a model to act as Lord Solar as yet.

As ive got 20pts spare i'm considering shaving an infantry squad off to allow for another tank ace and the enginseer

1980 points 0CP
Regimental Doctrines
- Armoured Superiority
- Industrial Efficiency

++Super Heavy Detachment 6cp++
Super Heavies
Baneblade 430
Tank ace - Vaunted Praetorian 30

Baneblade    430

Baneblade    430
Tank ace - Knight of Piety 35

++Battalion Detachment 0cp++
+Hq+ 125
Castellan - Warlord
Command Squad

+Troops+ 390pts
-Infantry Squad
-Infantry Squad
-Shock Troops
Vox & 2 Plasma guns
-Shock Troops
Vox & 2 Plasma guns
-Shock Troops
Vox & 2 Plasma guns
-Shock Troops
Vox & 2 Plasma guns

+Elites+ 110pts

5 Man Scion squad

5 Man Scion squad

The mandatory Sponsons are included in the base points cost of the baneblade from my understanding of the wording in the codex, so this is accounted for.

Though this said, ive been wrong several times in this thread :) Which is also why im here, to get a better understanding of what im doing.

Edited by SadisticFurvy

I know warcom said Included and a few other have said but RAW in the book it doesn’t have the words additional in the points section which means you have to pay for the mandatory sponsons in the datasheet. I’ve been told that a rule of thumb goes if it has points then you have to pay for it. Notice other dataslates like the Rogal dorn has Additional heavy stubbers so the first heavy stubber is free. Then you also have infantry squads that don’t have points for heavy weapons and the like but you have options to equip them, well those are free. Until clarified by GW play it safe and pay the points.

oh and also to point it out. For shock troops, until clarified by GW non English codex has the phrase special weapons limited to one per type while the English one has limit two. It begs to question which is right and some of the concern is whether which one to follow. In my local group is it’s legal till FAQ’d and it will get FAQ’d so enjoy the 2 plasma guns per shock trooper squad while you have it.

Edited by Hiroitchi

Yeah, if the points section shows a value, you have to pay for it. WarCom has a history of getting things wrong in their previews. The Dorn actually makes that a bit inconsistent, don't thing I'be seen costs for "additional" anythings anywhere else.

And generally the English version would be considered the reference version. So two of the same is legal unless it'll get FAQd.