Brutal

Valkyrion
Go to solution Solved by Lord Marshal,

I owe an opponent 6 marines then....:biggrin:

I think I just got so caught up in the internet proclaiming how good Contemptors are that I figured only removing 3 tactical marine hardly qualifies as being super powerful so it must be that 9 failed saves is 9 removed models because they only have 1 wound each so there is no excess to waste. 

What a silly sausage.

It's like damage in 40k - one model receives the wounding hit, then has to receive the damage from the attack (40k) or make 3 saves (heresy).

Brutal 3 is very good as it means you're very likely to get through a 4+ invulnerable, or 3+ in the case of fists and sallies. 

It basically means that each wound from a dread fist is probably a dead model, regardless of whether you're a tactical marine or legin elite. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 1:33 PM, Valkyrion said:

I owe an opponent 6 marines then....:biggrin:

I think I just got so caught up in the internet proclaiming how good Contemptors are that I figured only removing 3 tactical marine hardly qualifies as being super powerful so it must be that 9 failed saves is 9 removed models because they only have 1 wound each so there is no excess to waste. 

What a silly sausage.

For this reason it's better to keep the Contemptor away from larger squads. 10 Tactical Marines could potentially stall the Dreadnough for 3 - 4 turns in combat.

Having Brutal, however, means that the Contemptor is extra effective at crushing vehicles and individual models that are powerful.

@Orange Knight

I don't know if you meant that a contemptor with a fist is flexible enough to both break through vehicles and the brutal allowing it to be good vs non-vehicle models, or if you are saying that Brutal applies to armour pen rolls, because Brutal doesn't affect such rolls. I just wanted to clarify for other people.

42 minutes ago, Vostroi said:

Can non instant death brutal attacks cause more than one wound on a multiwound model per attack? 

Yes. The model will lose a wound for each save it fails (or if the attack goes through the save).

So if a model was hit and wounded with a brutal 3 attack they could lose 3 wounds if they fail all three subsequent saves.