Prot's Finished Black Templar models

Prot

Instead of me trying to track down my various threads, I'm just plopping the finished models here.

I realized in trying to track down my threads, I completely missed the Emperor's Champion I finished so I will start with him:

image.jpeg.93487f515b4f6d9a90eb2471acee26ee.jpegimage.jpeg.d13fda01925353e940e9c410912719c8.jpegimage.jpeg.adfd724509974ed485baf452496906da.jpegimage.jpeg.5cfdf99726ae5e14257d42053788e7d8.jpeg

image.jpeg.977819e5e731ffaefbed3cf03a021cc3.jpeg

image.jpeg.9f2e7929a240e680dfcee63f65ec8750.jpeg

image.jpeg.b6c8f897de878ddc2f2afe0ea5136da1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9073ac70b5f98b2ddd591e2f9482b828.jpeg

20-man-primaris-crusader-squad2-.webp

16 hours ago, Brother Christopher said:

Thanks for sharing everything in one place. As always, it's a pleasure to see your work. You have a very distinct style, that I'd call 'modern,' utilising to great effect many cool techniques.

Lol... I am not sure if 'modern' is good but I'll take it as a compliment. I would say for a good 5-10 years I just tried to be 'neat' and tidy my painting, trying to aspire to the 'Eavy Metal concepts.

But over the years you just end up discovering a bunch of cool methodologies to doing this and at some point I just really liked (most of) my armies looking battle worn.  Combine that with enamels, oil paints, and a few newer techniques combined with old school blending/line work, and yea... maybe that is 'modern'? :)

I probably use more mediums and colour ranges than I ever have now. It's funny when local people/friends ask me how I paint something sometimes and they just give me a confused look. You should have seen their faces when I told them, 'Helbrecht has no gold paint on him, and no black paint on him.'  Although it takes more time, I'm having a lot of fun with it which is what counts.

Thanks very much for the compliment. 

Edited by Prot

The thing is that I haven't been following developments in painting over the last decade. I am aware that there were many and too a great extent they were popularised by myriad of YT videos and tutorials. For me, within the constraints of my changing budget and limited workshop, I've been trying to keep true to the BT 4th Edition Codex aesthetic and just tried to improve and streamline the process and consciously (and sometimes regrettably) tried to avoid too much novelty.

That's the reason  I find your style 'modern' - because, by my standards, the final result of the techniques you're using is next-level. The thing about your Helbrecht is a case in point. Regardless how you call it, the result is great. In the best possible way, I envy you and I'm sure there are others like me, too ;)