Disembarking from a Termite

Ripper.McGuirl

So, I have a question on Subterranean Assault and units embarked on the termite. The question is: can you disembark on the turn you arrive? It is hard to parse through the text, but it seems to contradict itself. In one place, it says:

"Any models

Embarked on a model with the Transport Sub-type

must remain Embarked and may not Disembark as part

of a Subterranean Assault (but may Disembark normally

during the following Movement phase)."

This sounds like either A: The deployment of the termite happens before the movement phase, and after it is placed, a unit could disembark. OR B: The termite is deployed IN the movement phase, and the unit can't move until the next turn.

Then, further down, it says:

"Once all units from the Subterranean Assault have

been deployed and any Interceptor Reactions have been

resolved, the turn proceeds as normal. Units that have been

deployed as part of a Subterranean Assault may Move, Run

or Shoot as normal."

So, this sounds like once you place the drill, they can get out (they just can't charge, because it's not an assault vehicle).

It seems crazy to me that they would not be able to get out, but it doesn't specify that they can (or that they have to, like in Drop Pod Assault), and actually appears to specify that they can't? Am I just missing something? Is the deployment of deep-strike-ish models technically before the movement phase?

So I read it as they can't disembark as part of the Subterranean assault deployment, but they can then disembark in that same turns movement phase (and then interceptor is resolved), but yes, the wording is sloppy and relies on a tight keyword based rules style that GW don't use to define what is and isn't part of the subterranean assault.

Yeah this was my take on it, as well. I guess I need to go back and reread the reserves rules and deployment in general. For all the extra words that they put in the rules this edition, they really seem to have left lots of important clarifiers out in certain places.

Although, I was thinking that intercept only can be taken against the drill, not the unit jumping out. Other movement reactions could be taken against the unit disembarking as normal.

At the start of the Movement Phase, as part of the Subterranean Assault, the Termites enter the Table. Then, the reacting player may make intercept reactions against the termites. After the Reactilns have been resolved, the embarked Unit(s) may disembark . Thats an exception to all other Reserve deployments, where the intercept reaction cannot be used against the unit(s) that disembark in the later half of the movement phase.