How do you load out Veteran Squads in 2.0?

Astartes Consul

With the death of Veteran Tactics in the switch from 1.0 to 2.0, how is everyone finding Veteran Squads of various kinds? I'm sure plenty of us have various specific load outs tailored to the old tactics - especially Weaponmasters and the Scout/Marksmen ones - that are now potentially a bit of a points sink if you run them in the same way but without the special rules bonus.

Intrigued to see what people have come up with when using Vets so far. Both in a Pride of the Legion setting but also to fill an Elite slot in any other type of list.

Asking both out of interest but also selfishly, as I'm about to start building a new Vet squad for my XIII Legion.

With WS5 being such a big deal in 2.0, along with packing 2W and chosen warriors, vets want to be in melee. That said, they can also take termites and drop pods without a RoW, and have access to relentless nemesis bolters, so there are some shooting builds that they can do as well. In RoW where they are line troops, they'll do better than all the other troops choices outside of some niche situations. There are a lot of viable builds imo, depends a lot on your overall army comp, legion, and RoW.

I’ve still found combi-melta vets a good unit, provided you’ve got a way to get them close like a termite or drop pod or even a land raider. 

I’ve generally gone with everyone geared for melee with a range of weapons but also several combi-weapons in the squad. It’s expensive but I’ve felt it was at least worth it in all the games I’ve played and they’ve been the star unit in a couple of them. 

• 1 month later...

So I've been revising my idea on vet squads. I think if you are going to run a Pride of the Legion, it may be a good idea to keep them fairly cheap on loadouts at least with a couple units.

They are so flexible and offer a lot of customization. Like taking a couple sniper units that can move and shoot, and being able to enjoy cheap chainswords for additional attacks at WS 5.

I tried my First Ed Models:

10 man with Combi Volkites and Power Bonks.

My experience was that Combi is against most stuff just Overkill with the ability to fire both weapons of the Combi and still being able to charge.

I probably try something else.

They're pricey, but you can kinda tool them to kill whatever you want that your opponents field. It kinda depends on the legion though; they're straight up better in almost every way than terror marines that I can take in night lords, but things like dawnbreakers are just better than their melee spec. 

I am tempted by a 10 man spear squad to bully power armour at WS, STR, and I 5. 255 ain't bad and allows room to sprinkle in snipers and combis.

I throw in a mix of combi melta and combi plasma. Since Vets have 2 wounds, Gets Hot isn't as bad.

The unit all gets at least a chainsword to make use of the WS.

The real trick is the size of the unit, since it gets expensive quick. I generally start at 6 models and add as point are available/spent.

• 1 month later...

I’ve been toying around with a unit of 5 running power maces.   They’re excellent bully units against any unit that lacks an Artificer Sergeant.   

I’m debating Nemesis Bolters to make that more likely to be the matchup.  

How has no one mentioned Shotguns!

3 for 6 pts gives 91% chance of forcing a leadership test (96% for IF).  They only have a small chance of failing a Ld test with either 1/6 for Ld 9 (overall 15% chance of occuring) or 10/36 for Ld 8 (overall 25% chance of occuring).  But it's only 6 pts for a 25% chance of completely thrashing another WS5 & Ld 8 squad in CC (e.g. your opponent's Veteran Squad).  

It'll only work in 1-in-4 games (assuming you manage one charge per game) but man for that game it could totally swing it!

Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, SlickSamos said:

How has no one mentioned Shotguns!

3 for 6 pts gives 91% chance of forcing a leadership test (96% for IF).  They only have a small chance of failing a Ld test with either 1/6 for Ld 9 (overall 15% chance of occuring) or 10/36 for Ld 8 (overall 25% chance of occuring).  But it's only 6 pts for a 25% chance of completely thrashing another WS5 & Ld 8 squad in CC (e.g. your opponent's Veteran Squad).  

It'll only work in 1-in-4 games (assuming you manage one charge per game) but man for that game it could totally swing it!

Thoughts?

I agree. Plus: Shotguns look badass.

Otherwise I would give (10) Veterans two Grav Guns because they are one of the only units to actually move and fire them. Plus some combi-melta weapons to kill whatever you shoot at.

I would certainly play them in a fancy transport. Legion Drop pod or termite come to mind. The former of course adds to the cheap but deadly approach and the latter is just more awesome.

With my SoH I'm planning a squad of 8-10 with Banestrike Bolters and power weapons/lighting claws, Sargent with Thunder Hammer and Artificier Armo, and maybe (Not sure at all) a pair of heavy weapons/ Special Weapons. Missile Launchers, for example.

Until I'll get all the pieces I need, I'm not going to decide.