Tabletop Portable Tables

Lafarus

Personally I just went to the local DIY superstore and got an 8 by 4 sheet of thick MDF cut into 2 foot long sections and put a mat on top - if it works for you it will be massively cheaper.

It really depends what your requirements are...

By Portable, do you intend to take it places regularly or just need to be able to collapse it out the way? 

If the first, what transport do you have?

In either case, are their already smaller tables you could lay things on top of? (when I was at Uni our gmes club had access to loads of exam desks we could push together as games tables, which mostly worked, a 'top' wold have been nice, but legs were unnecessary).

Holy :cuss: the price of some of those tables, especially the TerraFirmer Alpha.

Have you considered the Bora Centipede portable workbenches? You’ll need a MDF or plywood topper, but they’re available in 4x4, 4x6 and 4x8 sizes. Almost half the price cheaper than the Alpha table, even with the added price of getting the topper.

Edited by duz_
Don't dodge the swear filter

I like my Alpha Gaming table. Packs away nicely and is 6x4. It's lightweight by design so I definitely wouldnt be leaning on it too much. 

As others have pointed out. Do you need it to be collapsible? If you're only after a 4x4 then you should be able to buy those pre cut from a hard ward store and you could get blocks to raise it up if that's also a concern. Definitely a lot cheaper. 

Wallpaper pasting tables may be worth looking at if money is tight, then slap a MDF board on the top, running out of space in my flat so I may have to do that myself actually.

There's sorta the question of your intent. If you need something simple, storable, and straight forward you could just get a folding banquet table for about $300. If value and portability is the primary motivator, you could get a pair of IKEA tables for between $80-120 or some folding card tables for about $70 each, with the IKEA tables being a bit more of a pain to lug around but more stable and you could lean on them with no issues.  One thing to consider though, unless you're only playing killteam it might be worth it to consider larger tables if you can fit them, the extra space is always useful to hold rules and gaming tool, as well as space to spread out should you want to play a larger or multi-opponent game.

Use 2 standard camping folding tables. Ivory resin top 6 x 2.5. From 30$ each in DIY stores or AMazon.

Can reuse it for barbecue parties and feast or any other non hobby related event too...

Mesa de jardín Catering Lifetime de acero blanco de 183x74x75,9 cm - 7

You will need a mat though as there is a gap joint between 2 tables.

I got a standard 6 seater dining table which is 3x5 feet and then got a lightweight 6x4 foot notice/memo board like this as a topper (but bigger)  https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Aluminum-Frame-Notice-Board/dp/B075NHVPPN/ref=sr_1_30?keywords=notice+boards+for+kitchen&qid=1672420739&sr=8-30

I then got 2 6x4 gaming mats from somewhere like gamemat, one for each side. I was initially going to cut the mat down because the inner dimensions are about an inch shorter than 6 and 4 feet due to the plastic surround, but the thickness of the mat and the thickness of the board made it difficult to use standard tacks to pin the mat down and I'd be better using more industrial strength nails which would poke through the other side making it impossible to use 2 different mats - so instead I used carpet glue. I don't know what it's really called, but it's like a blue glue that comes in an aerosol that is used by carpet fitters, joiners and so on when conventional fitting is impossible and that worked like a charm.

It overhangs the table by around 6" all around which isn't enough to create unbalanced edges, is light enough for one person to carry it and thin enough to hide behind bookcases, sideboards and so on when not needed. You could even wall mount it with a nice piece of artwork and just put the mat on one side.

I'd like something that I can easily pack away.  Never thought about a DIY solution but thinking about it now as well.  I am willing to someone splurge for a good but but yea.. the Terra Firma is hella pricey.  I would hope it's high quality material.  

Also does anyone have suggestion for a dedicated smaller table for like killteam/warcry stuff?

On 12/30/2022 at 5:41 AM, Bouargh said:

Use 2 standard camping folding tables. Ivory resin top 6 x 2.5. From 30$ each in DIY stores or AMazon.

Can reuse it for barbecue parties and feast or any other non hobby related event too...

Mesa de jardín Catering Lifetime de acero blanco de 183x74x75,9 cm - 7

You will need a mat though as there is a gap joint between 2 tables.

I do this as well.  As stated, works well so long as you use a mat.  The tables are handy for anything, not just gaming.