Covenant of Fire Narrative 3k list

arnesh88

Here's the list I plan on bringing to Adepticon for one of their narrative events. I think it's fairly fluffy both because it fits the Salamanders theme and there's almost no duplicates in the list (outside of 2 land raider transports). While it "skews" towards vehicles, I think it's one of the acceptable types due to there being enough generic answers in the game against them. Also am avoiding bringing a primarch mostly because it requires calling "dibs" for the event, and I'm not going to bother with that race.

--Rites of War--

Covenant of Fire

--HQ--

Legion Praetor w/ Master-crafted Thunder Hammer, Dragonscale Shield, The Weight of Duty or Promethean Will warlord trait (not sure which to go with here...)

>175

Legion Catephractii Consul (Champion) w/  Master-crafted Paragon Blade, Dragonscale Shield

>155

--Elites--

Apothecary w/ Chainsword, Bolt Pistol

>45

Firedrakes w/ 4 Thunder Hammers, 1 Chainfist, 5 dragonscale shields, Land Raider Proteus dedicated transport

>545

--Troops--

[C] Tactical Squad (10) w/ 9 bayonets, sergeant w/ Power Fist and Artificer Armour, Rhino dedicated transport w/ Dragon's Breath Heavy Flamer, Dozer Blades

>179

[C] Pyroclasts (10) w/ Power Fist, Land Raider Proteus dedicated transport

>565

Tactical Support Squad (6) w/ Dragon's Breath Flamers, Legion Vexillor, Rhino dedicated transport w/ Dragon's Breath Heavy Flamer, Dozer Blades

>152

Predators (2) w/ Dragon's Breath Cannon, Dragon's Breath Heavy Flamer (sponsons), Dragon's Breath Heavy Flamer (pintle), Dozer Blades

>275

--Heavy Support--

Sicaran w/ Lascannon sponsons

>200

Leviathan Dreadnought w/ Siege Claw, Siege Drill, 2x Dragon's Breath Heavy Flamers, Phosphex Discharger

>295

Kratos w/ Melta-blast gun, 4x Lascannons (front and sponsons), Flare Shield, Search Light

>405

Total: 2991

Questions:

1) Are the options legal? Only thing I'm on the fence with is the Predators having a pintle mounted Dragon's Breath Heavy Flamer and still counting as Troops for CoF, as it states in the Rite: "Legion Predators Squadrons composed entirely of models with only Dragon's Breath cannon and Dragon's Breath Heavy Flamers as weapons may be chosen as non-Compulsory troops choices in a Detachment using this Rite of War". RAW, looks legit. RAI = ???

2) Which warlord trait would you lean towards? Loyalist only. Torn on both, as I'm used to dealing with shooting armies, so I tend to take Promethean Will for resistance to pinning and for the additional Shooting reaction for mostly survivability. Not sure how popular assault armies tend to be, or assault units in general that are not Heavy sub-type.

3) Army leans on being durable with AV 14, 2+ saves, and 3+ invuls. While I am leaning into my army's strengths, is this a list that can be not particularly fun to play against? I was under the impression that most armies build themselves to deal with 1 Spartan per turn (even assault armies). I've never been to a horus heresy narrative event, but my experience at other "friendly" events are people bringing "tournament" lists with minor tweaks.

Edited by arnesh88

as the pintle mount is also a dragon breath heavy flamer they fulfill the requirement of the CoF.

As for the list? 3 land raiders, 2 preds, 1 sicaran, 1 Leviathan and a kratos can be a bit overwhelming depending on the list and a bit of luck, but in the same vein this list would be blown away by other things. You should be fine unless you snipe out all your opponents anti tank units or your opponent gets lucky with lascannons and pops half your army turn 1.

Edited by Misterduch

8 hours ago, Misterduch said:

as the pintle mount is also a dragon breath heavy flamer they fulfill the requirement of the CoF.

As for the list? 3 land raiders, 2 preds, 1 sicaran, 1 Leviathan and a kratos can be a bit overwhelming depending on the list and a bit of luck, but in the same vein this list would be blown away by other things. You should be fine unless you snipe out all your opponents anti tank units or your opponent gets lucky with lascannons and pops half your army turn 1.

Fortunately, it’s only 2 land raiders