Boarding Actions: cheap alternative wall terrain

Aramis K

So the Boarding Actions terrain set is £130.

Any suggestions for cheap alternative sets of modular sci-fi walls? 

Or DIY approaches? 

I've found a few:

- Gothic card walls from Battle Systems https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/battle-systems-scenery/68079-gothic-core-set

- Iron Labyrinth wooden walls from TT-Combat https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/sci-fi-scenery/83857-iron-labyrinth-death-quadrant-complex

- Simple gothic walls from TT-Combat https://ttcombat.com/products/gothic-small-walls

And lots of pictures of discontinued sets...

Edited by Aramis K

I wonder as well what other alrenatives are there to GW for boarding action games. I don't see myself playing it often so I can't justify purchasing it.

What is the size for the boarding action board anyways? Is it the same size as a KT2021 into the dark set?

My suggestion to this topic: (I saw somewhere else) is buying whiteboard  24"x36" with a black dryerase marker. :blink:

Edited by Brother Navaer Solaq

7 hours ago, Brother Navaer Solaq said:

What is the size for the boarding action board anyways? Is it the same size as a KT2021 into the dark set?

It looks like it's two of the KT Gallowdark boards together, at least from the looks of the contents for the terrain set that's on the WarCom preview:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/GxFxKVh1jKOQjOZr.jpg

For some reason (I've now forgotten :whistling::sweat:) I had stashed a bunch of the 2017 Necromunda bulkheads - I took a look yesterday, unfortunately there's only half of what appears to be required for a board the size of the one in the terrain set :ermm:

I've just come across these on eBay - plain, but should be easy enough to customise if you've a bits box and some 'junk' to make greebling :wink: Most importantly, nice and cheap! :yes:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363239804497?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Hf3_2L1AT42&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=HpofR1lETVW&var=632425370485&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by firestorm40k

Another reason I bought Space Hulk when I had the chance ; )

If you're DIYing or finding cheap alternatives, I don't necessarily know that the full walls are even the best thing; precise measuring and moving is so much harder when you can't easily reach the table level but are always force to reach 'in' to a room or hallway. This is why I think something like Space Hulk tiles with a bit of furniture like barricades and doors will create a better game, and make 'narrow corridors' alot less frustrating and thus interesting/feasible in terms of board construction.

With Blackstone, Deathwatch Overkill and Necromunda tiles in my back pocket for larger/irregular rooms, I'm going 'all tiles' when it comes to Boarding Actions. Be cool to do an adaptation of the Space Hulk and/or Deathwatch Overkill campaign missions too! Genestealer ambush mechanics will do a good job of keeping the 'blips and entry points' themes from the asymmetrical 'Marines vs. Xenos' corridor games.

Don't know much about any currently published tile sets, but I'm guessing there are a few relevant things out there, or you can troll local secondary markets for anyone with GW tiles who may not want to hold on to them (people either tend to care about these quite a bit, or not at all).

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

On 1/6/2023 at 7:33 PM, Dr. Clock said:

Another reason I bought Space Hulk when I had the chance ; )

If you're DIYing or finding cheap alternatives, I don't necessarily know that the full walls are even the best thing; precise measuring and moving is so much harder when you can't easily reach the table level but are always force to reach 'in' to a room or hallway. This is why I think something like Space Hulk tiles with a bit of furniture like barricades and doors will create a better game, and make 'narrow corridors' alot less frustrating and thus interesting/feasible in terms of board construction.

Ahh I can get even more use out of my trenches now, Trench raids for all!!!

I asked the same question a couple of days ago, and got pointed to this link which has them measurements:

https://taleofpainters.com/2022/09/review-kill-team-into-the-dark-part-1-terrain-rules/

It had the info I needed, so hopefully you'll find it as useful :smile:

Edit: these are the measurements for the GW Into The Dark/Gallowdark/Boarding Actions terrain :yes:

Edited by firestorm40k

On 1/2/2023 at 10:01 PM, MARK0SIAN said:

I can vouch for the TT combat sets, they’re great value for money compared to what you’d get for a similar price from GW. They go together well and look good when they’re on the table. 

How do you find the size of the terrain compares to Primaris etc? I have gone by their dimensions and it is barely over head height of a standard primaris marine? Either that or my measurements are horribly wrong

1 hour ago, Sigvard said:

How do you find the size of the terrain compares to Primaris etc? I have gone by their dimensions and it is barely over head height of a standard primaris marine? Either that or my measurements are horribly wrong

If you follow the link below I’ve uploaded quite a few pics that show the scale. Primaris do come quite close to the top but I’ve generally played Zone Mortalis with dreads that were taller than the walls anyway so it’s fine for me but others may prefer them to be a bigger. In the pics of the match the silver and white terrain is (I believe as it’s not mine) the normal GW plastic kit so you can see how they compare.

Hope this helps, please excuse my painting :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I haven't tried this yet, but Green Stuff World produces textured rolling pins, including a "factory" pin that makes a nice industrial base look. I imagine that cutting these out with a square tile template and probably backing them on poster board could make a very nice and modular 3D Space Hulk set, or with less work, a nice substitute for Boarding Actions. https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/modelling-textured-rolling-pins/221-rolling-pin-hobby-roller-factory-ground.html