Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

3 hours ago, grailkeeper said:

I miss when Cain was more like Flashman. Flashman was a great character.

When was this? I’ve never really seen it: we’re talking about a character who fell head over heels in love at first sight of Vail, and appears to have been faithful to her for damn near two centuries despite long separations, not very Flashmanesque.

First book he was a lot more of an outright coward and bit of a cad.

People misinterpreting actual cowardice for heroism is funny. In Flashman he tries to surrender the regimental colours to an enemy who doesn't want them, only for people far away to think he is saving them. In early Cain he runs away pursued by nids, only for the guard to think he is drawing the enemy into an artillery kill zone. 

Now Cain is more "I said something modest to keep up my reputation. If only I knew then how that would lead to more adventures".

I love the books, but it's not as funny as him actually being a coward or doing bad things, only to come out smelling of roses.

Edited by grailkeeper

So Genefather is up for pre-order next week.... along with SM codex and tons of new minis.

I wonder about the queue system, they didn't mention it in the article, it's just so much of a release in one day, I'm worried I wont be able to get the limited edition because I need to get the models+codex as well, I could make two separate orders, but I'm not feeling good about paying shipments + tax twice :ermm:

Worst case scenario I'll just grab the regular edition, though I really like how this SE is looking.  

9 hours ago, OpossumStrong said:

So Genefather is up for pre-order next week.... along with SM codex and tons of new minis.

I wonder about the queue system, they didn't mention it in the article, it's just so much of a release in one day, I'm worried I wont be able to get the limited edition because I need to get the models+codex as well, I could make two separate orders, but I'm not feeling good about paying shipments + tax twice :ermm:

Worst case scenario I'll just grab the regular edition, though I really like how this SE is looking.  

The crazy part is with the small print runs they insist on running even the regular edition may sell out, i went to get the last Cain book and it had sold out 5-10 mins after launch when i logged in, regular old hardback. 

Still sooooo looking forward to this book!  

Just finished Ashes of Cadia. Heartily recommend it. I started it mainly cause the author was nice to me on twitter- but it really is good. It's a great debut novel. The author's style lends itself to the horror aspect of 40k in particular. She's a surgeon as her day job so there's plenty of gore.

One or two minor things happen at the end that weren't for me, but that's only a matter of taste. 

As a first novel about Cadia, I'd rate it over Cadian Blood.

Fnac has Fall of Cadia listed finally, for the 28th of October (preorder the 21st): https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a18669192/Robert-Rath-The-Fall-Of-Cadia#omnsearchpos=19

A classic War Com botch job listing it for the wrong month.

Edit: tagging @Taliesin

Edited by cheywood

He has the silver arm on the cover which he doesn't get for another two or three books. 

Two for him, several for other characters. It'd be a bit like if a poster for Star Wars had Luke wearing a T shirt which says "I love Darth Vader, who is my dad and a nice guy once you get to know him"

Edited by grailkeeper

Listen. I love Storm of Iron. I have three different physical copies and the audiobook. It was the first 40k book I read as a kid.

But I'm getting really tired of "Here! The same book we re-re-re-released a year a two ago! Oh? A new book? Why would you want that when you can have STORM OF IRON AND LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE"

At least reprint the rest of the non-UM Honsou stories since you aren't going to give us a new book

Edited by darkhorse0607

2 hours ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Notification from Audible this morning.

Genefather release date October 14th (so it's on the two week pre-order like the space marine releases, which seems strange to me but whatever)

10 hours 14 minutes

John Banks narrating

Given the length, think I’ll opt for the audio of this rather than stressing about getting the LE or using the increasingly clunky BL website to get the ebook.

If it was formatted like the ‘Character Series’ books I’d have been all over it though. Creed too. Strange that haven’t done that, really.

2 hours ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Genefather release date October 14th (so it's on the two week pre-order like the space marine releases, which seems strange to me but whatever)

10 hours 14 minutes

John Banks narrating

Uh and i thought eventually to pre-order the book this weekend and the minis a bit later next week, because i rather pay twice the shipment than buy it from ebay.

The fact that I'm suppose to split my order, just because i know the book will be gone in minutes, makes me fill really bad and stressed,i remember before SoT LE launched, LE's were available for weeks in some cases:confused:

Well miniatures wont go anywhere, even if they will be out of stock for some time i can get them eventually, unlike the book, anyway i got things to paint so i guess it's ok.

7 hours ago, darkhorse0607 said:

10 hours 14 minutes

John Banks narrating

Great continuity of narrator there.  Banks narrated the whole Bile trilogy and also The Great Work.  

2 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

Try again, mine went thru first shot. 

Ended up getting the LE, Haley has never done me wrong before and the extra short story was too sweet to resist. 

Yeah I pressed pay and got a white screen, after refresh I got "Your session is timed out" 

Well I ended up ordering the regular hardback, the new codex, minis and dices, I'm not that disappointed, but the SE looked nice. 

Edit: TBH I could get it instantly as well(probably) but every single time I need to change the delivery option, for almost 2 years I'm asking them to give the option to select prefered delivery option in the profile. 

Edited by OpossumStrong

10 minutes ago, OpossumStrong said:

Edit: TBH I could get it instantly as well(probably) but every single time I need to change the delivery option, for almost 2 years I'm asking them to give the option to select prefered delivery option in the profile. 

Yeah the put such a focus on speed to get what you want but dont really help in any way, Sorry to hear you did not get the LE.