Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

24 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

My book backlog is almost as big as my grey pile of shame, so I still haven't read Reynold's Fabius novels yet. I've heard they're good (has he written anything that isn't?) and I'm looking forward to them - I'll try to fit them in before the audio release of Genefather.

I’m an hour from finishing the final Bile audiobook - it’s definitely worth delving into.  They are really quality BL books. 

I’ve not read much from Josh before these three books, but I can see now why so many lamented his departure from BL. 

On 10/1/2023 at 4:11 AM, LemartestheLost said:

Congrats to everyone who picked up Genefather! I was an idiot who partied too hard last night and woke up just in time to see that both the SE and HB were sold out. RIP. Can't blame GW on this one!

Well as someone who did the same to Ciaphas latest, i do blame them for making so few of every book they cant keep it in stock for even 1 hour. 

The way these are at present, BL publishes, LE, Hardback LE, and paperback semi LE. 

Edited by Nagashsnee

Dark Coil Special Edition.

e5KfBVg44ileTJry.jpg

The Dark Coil Collection is a beautifully presented special boxed set edition that collects the bulk of the Dark Coil series in one place. Inside its special slipcase are three hefty tomes, which Feverhari’s narrative twists and turns through.

First up is the anthology As Within, So Without, comprising nine stories – Nightfall, Fire and Ice, The Crown of Thorns, The Walker in Fire, The Greater Evil, The Thirteenth Psalm, Aria Arcana, Nightbleed and The Sins of My Brothers. 

All three books are bound in screen printed cloth covers featuring a purple spiral motif and are completed with a black ribbon bookmark. This collection also includes a separate printing of the standard artwork for each book, and As Within, So Without also features a sheet with the number of the special edition and the author’s signature.

Weirdly it's missing Fire Caste and Cult of the Spiral Dawn.

Edited by Lord Marshal

If I had to guess why it's missing the GODSTORIES, it'd be because they're not quite hitting the same themes/arc as Requiem and Reverie (obviously there's the convent in Cult, but it's more ancillary to the plot rather than a central thing). While the Coil is very interconnected, I think the connection between Reverie and Requiem is particularly strong and makes sense they'd be packaged together.

But most of all, I think it's a very good opportunity to toast the man himself. He didn't exactly start at the bottom or anything, but now he's definitely here, and it's just wonderful to see BL give him the gorgeous SE his work deserves. Extremely happy to see the recognition for an author who really has consistently walked the walk and delivered, without hyperbole, some of the best writing in the setting. 

I would quite like to see some Horus Heresy reprints. A lot of them are almost impossible to find or go for silly money on eBay. My son is trying to read the series and my own collection is incomplete. Titandeath is ludicrously expensive, even for the mass market paperback edition.

This set is terrible, its a dark coil collection that skips the book that started the dark coil, Fire Caste.  

Which means the dark coil collection is no real collection at all. Like others said monkeys paw! 

I truly dont understand this, why bother? Why omit? Its not like they split it down the middle, add in another book and cult to the omnibus. Its insane and not the good kind. 

Why should i bother paying premium price for a sub premium product? Also the purple covers dont do it for me, they are neither creepy, spooky or otherworldly. They look like a nans attempt to remember woodstock. 

I don’t know if I think it’s the big win for Fehervari as some seem to think for at most up to 1000 more people to read some of his books without there being a general release omnibus. And I would imagine collectors, people who are already fans of his and scalpers are going to get most of those 1000 copies. 

41 minutes ago, Morovir said:

I think it's deliberate - none of the Phaedra-related stories or Casts a Hungry Shadow are included in the short stories omnibus, so I'm going to hold out hope that at some point in the future there'll be another collection with all of the missing stories.

As some have already said. But maybe the next novel is centered around Phaedra? Thus the exclusion of those stories?

Also the purple covers dont do it for me, they are neither creepy, spooky or otherworldly.

I don't think they're meant to be. I really like them. They evoke a lovely sort of antique horror vibe, especially with the black ribbon bookmarks. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but the design really works for me. They don't look like your average conventional Warhammer book, and they're very much not!

not a big win for Fehervari

Maybe not in terms of expanded readership, I suppose, but having a lovely SE collection of your work would certainly be a feather in his cap, I'd imagine. I remember reading the afterword of Requiem and feeling like it was almost an exhausted goodbye. Reverie released not too long after, of course, but there must certainly have been point(s) where Fehervari felt like he wasn't getting much in the way of support from GW. This feels very much like a vindication of his work. 

Okay. I'll give BL a pass for the next three :cuss:ups. Peter deserves this so much, and it's been long overdue.

This is the first limited box set I'd jump on if I had the financial leeway on short notice, which is doubtful at this point. How much do these box sets usually go for again?

1 minute ago, DarkChaplain said:

Okay. I'll give BL a pass for the next three :cuss:ups. Peter deserves this so much, and it's been long overdue.

This is the first limited box set I'd jump on if I had the financial leeway on short notice, which is doubtful at this point. How much do these box sets usually go for again?

The Word Bearers Omnibus was £95. That was similarly three books in a box. 

1 hour ago, wecanhaveallthree said:

Maybe not in terms of expanded readership, I suppose, but having a lovely SE collection of your work would certainly be a feather in his cap, I'd imagine. I remember reading the afterword of Requiem and feeling like it was almost an exhausted goodbye. Reverie released not too long after, of course, but there must certainly have been point(s) where Fehervari felt like he wasn't getting much in the way of support from GW. This feels very much like a vindication of his work. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for him and it is nice that his work is being recognised like this. I just think it should at least have come with a regular release omnibus so more than 1000 people can actually buy his books. 

1 hour ago, DarkChaplain said:

120€ for us continentals going of some previous ones.

1 hour ago, DarkChaplain said:

£95 I think, last time round

The last few big special edition box sets have heralded reprintings, so hopefully this follows suit and Dark Coil Omnibus 1 will drop next year.

That said, I missed the Requiem Infernal hardback and was annoyed The Reverie didn't even have one. Combine that with a proper collection of his shorts and... well, I'm genuinely excited for this LE.

On 10/4/2023 at 7:55 AM, Karhedron said:

I would quite like to see some Horus Heresy reprints. A lot of them are almost impossible to find or go for silly money on eBay. My son is trying to read the series and my own collection is incomplete. Titandeath is ludicrously expensive, even for the mass market paperback edition.

I know how you feel, at the same time 54+ books and the siege of terra seems a bit excessive to a degree, I feel like even though I am missing a lot I dont think reading such quantity is going to help me as I get a general feel for it and the only book im kind of mulling over buying is Fear to Tread. I think in general that once you go from Horus Rising to Flight of the Eisenstein the series kind of gets a bit bloated and after that it gets into like if you have a favourite legion, character or an author and often times I find there are books that feel to a large degree are filler where maybe 20-30 pages are mandatory reading for lore reasons or just really badass ah ha moments. I mean is Wolfsbane really mandatory reading when I could be re-reading The First Heretic or Betrayer for fun? I mean I recently reread the Dark Apostle novel from the collectors edition box set which might be my 4th or 5th time re-reading that book since the original came out, and to me it seems like Warhammer 30k-40k has changed since then and maybe im just kind of mentally exhausted but I feel like the older books had better substance and style, while some of the newer novels are fine they are largely forgettable. I think structurally the whole Horus Heresy novels could have been cut in half in numbers. Overall I think that the depiction of the opening of the Heresy was kind of like lightning in a bottle that everything else (unless its ADB) largely  pales in comparison.

I just kind of find in general that budgeting my time and mental faculties for reading is harder and harder and I like to read things and teach myself stuff outside of the 40k that I find it rather distasteful to waste my time reading mediocre books that dont leave a standing impression that could be summed up as Horus got stabbed by a spear involving a legion and a primarch I rather dont care about.  You know what I like is reading a book like Spears of the Emperor and thinking to myself well this was a type of book I didnt know I needed to read but I really loved how different it was, then I watch a youtube interview of ADB and he said thats exactly what he was going for and I felt a sense of validation, worth, and connection. 

I find that just watching some lore videos on youtube as well can help fill the gaps and generally just reading other lore forums and absorbing the materials or seeing important extracts from books.