Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

2 hours ago, aa.logan said:

The same week as stupidly in-deman HH plastics and with a lower print-run. I’m concerned as to my chances 

It’ll be interesting to see how quickly these get snapped up.  He’s got such a hardcore following, but will mainstream fans give it a swerve due to not knowing much about him and the high cost?  

So much for "we'll tell you more about this soon" implying it'll be a while yet for the Dark Coil box set. I mean, the "soon" between the other box sets being announced and actually going on sale could go up to 6 months. I suppose that's the final nail in the coffin of my being able to set aside that ludicrous asking price....

2 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

Forges of mars omnibus too, been waiting for that a fair while.

Actually the second omnibus edition, isn't it? At least it'll also hit general retail, since it's an omnibus.

2 hours ago, Urauloth said:

Fall of Cadia audio coming soon I see. Shouldn't take long for that to migrate to Audible.

It'll be available on the same Saturday it drops on BL. After "leaking" countless audiobooks through audible listings in past years, they've just stopped offering preorders on Audible, so listings are now on-the-day-of, rather than a week or two in advance.

Edited by DarkChaplain

12 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

Actually the second omnibus edition, isn't it? At least it'll also hit general retail, since it's an omnibus.

I remember a LE collection but not an omnibus, a quick googling does show it has come out as an omnibus before, must have just missed it. 

12 hours ago, cheywood said:

Fnac has fall of Cadia listed for the 28th. Between that and Genefather I guess BL has moved to a two week preorder window now.

Realmslayer and Once a Killer are also on a two-week preorder now. For feth's sake, BL. The LEAST you could do is announce stuff like this.

2 hours ago, Casual Heresy said:

I don't think the two week preorder is meant to give people more time to order, but to give the warehouse more time to pick and pack orders thanks to their broken stock management system.

Yeah, this was my impression. I figured it was more that they don't want the headache of trying to keep track of the models which are a two-week pre-order and the books on a one-week, it's too much for the robots to handle, we simply don't have this technology in 2023 to be able to ship orders on time.

That and it helps them pad out the release schedule if they don't have anything big for the rest of the month/November

They call them pre-orders, but they aren't really, are they? They're regular orders with a 1 or 2 week delay on getting your stuff sent to you.

An actual pre-order should be taken months in advance of a product releasing, partly to allow enough of it to be stocked. The idea of something selling out on the day pre-orders go live is absurd, but with a lot of GW products you either "pre" order them or you don't get them. If the delay is so they can shift the product around and/or wrestle with their automated warehouse, then it's actually just 2 weeks' dispatch time with fancy terminology.

Fnac has just listed the German and French versions of The End and the Death volume 2 for November 4th: https://www.fnac.com/e65968/Black-Library?SFilt=1!34

That’s a Saturday so I imagine it’s accurate for the English edition too. While that sounds like a ways off, with the new and oh so helpfully unannounced increase in preorder times it’s likely the LE and hardback will be up for preorder next weekend (the 21st). Good luck to all. I’m going to hope for an LE and console myself with the ebook when the scalpers inevitably grab it. 

Edited by cheywood

9 hours ago, cheywood said:

Fnac has just listed the German and French versions of The End and the Death volume 2 for November 4th: https://www.fnac.com/e65968/Black-Library?SFilt=1!34

That’s a Saturday so I imagine it’s accurate for the English edition too. While that sounds like a ways off, with the new and oh so helpfully unannounced increase in preorder times it’s likely the LE and hardback will be up for preorder next weekend (the 21st). Good luck to all. I’m going to hope for an LE and console myself with the ebook when the scalpers inevitably grab it. 

Damn just in time for the cold weather to hit the UK, hoping @aa.logan gets lucky on release day and thus doesn't get hypothermia waiting outside WHW for a copy.

WarCom's 40 Years of Warhammer actually remembered BL is a thing.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/11/40-years-of-warhammer-the-best-of-black-library/

They're pushing Honourbound again. At this point, we had more articles of praise for that one-off novel than the classics, it feels like. Surely, they've gotta be announcing a sequel soon, right? Right? Limited edition, miniature, these articles, they went hard on Severina Rayne marketing.

48 minutes ago, DarkChaplain said:

WarCom's 40 Years of Warhammer actually remembered BL is a thing.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/11/40-years-of-warhammer-the-best-of-black-library/

They're pushing Honourbound again. At this point, we had more articles of praise for that one-off novel than the classics, it feels like. Surely, they've gotta be announcing a sequel soon, right? Right? Limited edition, miniature, these articles, they went hard on Severina Rayne marketing.

Best of black library...

That was just a list of semi recently released stuff. No love for the older novels? With how much everyone loves things like Gaunts Ghosts, Cain, Eisenhorn I'd assume at least one of those would be on there

On the subject of Honourbound and Gaunt/Cain, the big marketing push felt 100% that Raine was going to be the Next Big Thing on that line. I don't feel like it was a victim of the new edition coming through as it's solidly set in Era Indomitus. Has anybody put Harrison in the Boston Crab and demanded she reveal why we don't live in Raine World right now?

Isn't she working for GW full-time anyway? And it's not like we don't have Kyme, who is both an editor with a stable wage and an author with a reasonable output for them, either. I don't really see it as a one or the other situation - the output might be slower, but she's not had anything published by BL since late 2019, right? 2019 was her year, pretty much, with Honourbound, Mark of Faith and the Space Marine Heroes tie-in novella, all of which were heavily marketed - she's one of the few authors BL has had that actually got a miniature for their creation!

Didn't even realize how long it has been, though, since she dropped off the face of the earth. The last short story I'm aware of was in 2021's Sabbat War anthology, and that was the only thing since Mark of Faith. Raine hasn't been seen since mid-2019.... half a year after her novel dropped, and we haven't gotten a word one way or another, apart from the hype pieces and late limited edition.

Yea I was being a bit too flippant with the last; maybe she just didn't find the effort of juggling a full-time job with writing outside and having to meet deadlines/editing schedules and whatever else life is throwing at her to be worthwhile. Sometimes things just don't work out, and we probably won't know one way or another unless she discloses things herself.

Either way, I hope the best for her and if what we already got does turn out to be everything she'll do for BL, well, they'll stand on their own then.

I sort of took that WarCom article as an ad for future releases - we have the Fehervari LE and Ruth’s Cadian novel coming up for “normal” release coming, the remainder of the Bequin series outstanding and - so maybe we could see something new from both Harrison soonish as well.  Being a part time author she may take longer than a full timer, or hit a writers block wall.

The only one who doesn’t really fit the pattern is William King.  He may have been thrown in as a link to the early stuff, but I wouldn’t say no to something new from him as well (even though I’m not sure his style would be popular enough in today’s market and/or the current BL approach).

1 hour ago, Felix Antipodes said:

I sort of took that WarCom article as an ad for future releases - we have the Fehervari LE and Ruth’s Cadian novel coming up for “normal” release coming, the remainder of the Bequin series outstanding and - so maybe we could see something new from both Harrison soonish as well.  Being a part time author she may take longer than a full timer, or hit a writers block wall.

The only one who doesn’t really fit the pattern is William King.  He may have been thrown in as a link to the early stuff, but I wouldn’t say no to something new from him as well (even though I’m not sure his style would be popular enough in today’s market and/or the current BL approach).

Much as I badly want an Honourbound sequel, I don’t think that this particular article indicates more is coming from Harrison, or any of the authors mentioned. It’s some of the BL staff picking books they like. Just coincidence that a few of those popular books have related products releasing soon. 

9 hours ago, wecanhaveallthree said:

On the subject of Honourbound and Gaunt/Cain, the big marketing push felt 100% that Raine was going to be the Next Big Thing on that line. I don't feel like it was a victim of the new edition coming through as it's solidly set in Era Indomitus. Has anybody put Harrison in the Boston Crab and demanded she reveal why we don't live in Raine World right now?

I seem to recall Rachel mentioning on social media that she has no plans for another book, but I can't find the specific post anymore. I may be misremembering, don't take it as officially confirmed.