Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

15 hours ago, Casual Heresy said:

I'm very happy with the next Dawn of Fire being this side of the new year. This year's BL celebration was stressful enough trying to get what I wanted while the site collapsed under the weight of TEatD 1 preorders. I'd rather not have repeat.

The last couple of Dawn of Fire le were up on the site for a while ( compared to the HH ones). The last one was on there for a good 15 mins on the EU site. 

Cant wait for the Chris Wraith book. DoF everything he has written in recent years has been top top notch. 

Edited by Nagashsnee

2 hours ago, Lord Nord said:

Still trying to get used to the idea of a Dawn of Fire novel written by Chris Wraight. Definitely not complaining, though.

A definite surprise. But if Wraight can nicely tie in with his Vaults of Terra and Watchers of the Throne series (and finish the latter) then I will be happy.

Ragnar's Claw and the first Darkblade getting audiobooks. I've been praying for the latter, and I expect them to want to catch up to the End Times finale Deathblade, since that series just finished.

Always happy to see them tackling the backlog for new audiobooks. Too bad that with print, they decide to redo stuff like Storm of Iron rather than just making sure the relevant omnibus remains in print long-term...

7 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

Ragnar's Claw and the first Darkblade getting audiobooks. I've been praying for the latter, and I expect them to want to catch up to the End Times finale Deathblade, since that series just finished.

Always happy to see them tackling the backlog for new audiobooks. Too bad that with print, they decide to redo stuff like Storm of Iron rather than just making sure the relevant omnibus remains in print long-term...

It's weird to me because they've kept up with Ventris' stories, The Chapters Due audio released a month or two ago and to get what's going on there you really need to have read the Honsou omnibus (one shorter story in particular), but I don't think you can get that anymore and none of them but Storm of Iron is in audio form

Edited by darkhorse0607

Something new - Deathworlder by Victoria Hayward.

Spoiler

Among these death worlds, the planet of Catachan is famous for the hard-as-nails regiments it supplies to the Astra Militarum, soldiers for whom the dangers of a 41st Millennium battlefield are like a holiday camp when compared to their homeworld. Yet even they struggle against the monstrous onslaught of the Tyranids, and one squad is facing the fight of their lives in the latest upcoming Astra Militarum novel from Black Library – Deathworlder.

This is the latest novel in the Astra Militarum series, following on from Steel Tread by Andy Clark, Longshot by Rob Young, Witchbringer by Steven B Fischer, and Catachan Devil by Justin Woolley.

SZ8MVc7BjY8ejqV8.jpg

43 minutes ago, Tolmeus said:

Instant buy by @theSpirea :biggrin:

Funny you mention that. We just talked about Victoria the other day with my gf. We both enjoyed her stories and hoped she would get a novel soon. I also managed to get all the previous 4 books in the series as paperbacks.

What I'm not that happy about is it's another book about Catachans. There are so many unexplored regiments but we keep seeing the same 3 or 4 all the time. Since others don't have plastic toys, I guess there's very little reason for BL to commission a novel about those.

1 hour ago, OpossumStrong said:

Dawn of Fire: Sea of Souls coming next weekend, as well we got Ciaphas Cain – Print on Demand 

Reveal hidden contents

Relive the first three novels in the Ciaphas Cain series as For The Emperor, Caves of Ice, and The Traitor’s Hand come to Print on Demand in hardback.

l6vsLIqXmau6w5Wh.jpg

OHLwRNMTb3rj0o0p.jpg

hewXJp7m24aEXMHe.jpg

I simply cannot unsee Eddie Murphy!

I was a big defender of the DoF series and even liked The Wolftime (it should have been a standalone novella rather than a numbered installment). However, after Kyme's entry, which cured my insomnia, and Collins not doing any better, I fully gave up. Not even Wraight can bring me back.

Ciaphas Cain's books 2 and 3 covers desperately need updating.

An easy week on my wallet and can focus on catching up on AoS .

I enjoyed the first 4 Dawn of fire books but goddamn, The Iron Kingdom killed all enthusiasm for the series, well, that and Black Templars being in every damn book with their lameness* its difficult to be enthusiastic even when im piqued by the books or their authors.

*Black Templars can be incredibly compelling but they usually arent in BL fiction, just the worst, most tedious tropes almost every time... Space Wolves can often suffer from this too.

I remember deciding to pick up DoF again a little while ago, resuming from Wolftime, in anticipation of Wraight's entry.

And now I find myself in the rather perturbed condition of having read Throne of Light several weeks ago - I think - but I have like no memory of it. I don't remember the plot, or the characters, or any scenes... 

Like, I swear, I read the book! I know I did! I just don't remember anything about it! What happened?!

53 minutes ago, Sothalor said:

Wolftime

The only book I couldn't finish in the last decade. 

53 minutes ago, Sothalor said:

Throne of Light

It was mostly boring yeah, but I do remember something interesting, the funny part is that it wasn't about BT, it was about the Colonel(I think) that run off, DG and their cult and the memories of the sister and their last stand. 

12 minutes ago, OpossumStrong said:

It was mostly boring yeah, but I do remember something interesting, the funny part is that it wasn't about BT, it was about the Colonel(I think) that run off, DG and their cult and the memories of the sister and their last stand. 

That’s The Martyr’s Tomb, not Throne of Light. The fact that they’re so easily confused is an indictment of the series. They had the whole galaxy to work with and the authors somehow wrote overly similar novels. 

I'd argue that The Martyr's Tomb and Throne of Light aren't similar at all. It's a lot less action focused and drives various overarching plot points forward.

Spoiler

Throne of Light is about the visions spreading throughout the Imperium, of the Starchild, with Inquisitor Rostov from Avenging Son investigating.

On the Chaos side we have Tenebrus from Gate of Bones dealing with the Word Bearers / Kor Phaeron. Tenebrus is training his acolyte.

Rostov realizes during the climax that the Hand of Abaddon he was hunting and the one we know here aren't the same.

The Black Templars come in as a part of the Chapter that rejected Primaris, had a schism over the matter, and Lucerne - the Primaris who really wants to become a Black Templar - is trying to make them see sense by having them accept him as one of their number. Things go bad, the Chaplain goes overzealous, a Neophyte allies with Lucerne, the matter is settled in a rather final way.

Edited by DarkChaplain

On 11/8/2023 at 7:09 AM, OpossumStrong said:

Something new - Deathworlder by Victoria Hayward.

Hide contents

Among these death worlds, the planet of Catachan is famous for the hard-as-nails regiments it supplies to the Astra Militarum, soldiers for whom the dangers of a 41st Millennium battlefield are like a holiday camp when compared to their homeworld. Yet even they struggle against the monstrous onslaught of the Tyranids, and one squad is facing the fight of their lives in the latest upcoming Astra Militarum novel from Black Library – Deathworlder.

This is the latest novel in the Astra Militarum series, following on from Steel Tread by Andy Clark, Longshot by Rob Young, Witchbringer by Steven B Fischer, and Catachan Devil by Justin Woolley.

SZ8MVc7BjY8ejqV8.jpg

I do dip my toes into some of the novella from time to time. And those that know me, know I do love a Catachan novel.

I read Justin Wooley's novel last year and found it mildly entertaining (Best part was probably the scenes focusing on the Blood axe who aimed to take over the Waaaagh!). 

Haven't read any of Hayward's writing, so I'll keep an open mind and look for Deathworlder when it arrives.

7 hours ago, cheywood said:

That’s The Martyr’s Tomb, not Throne of Light. The fact that they’re so easily confused is an indictment of the series. They had the whole galaxy to work with and the authors somehow wrote overly similar novels. 

Yeah my fault, though I had the feeling that I'm confused between Throne of Light and The Iron Kingdom :sweat:

Edited by OpossumStrong

50 minutes ago, DukeLeto69 said:

Not sure where to post this as doesn’t warrant a thread of its own so...

is the Horus Heresy series the largest multi-author series of fiction books ever written?

No reason for asking except curiosity.

I think star wars and star trek would win that one. Tho i guess it depends on how you define series. 

Is the Siege part of the HH series? Are all star wars books set in a certain era a series? Etc.