Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

37 minutes ago, OpossumStrong said:

Yeah it did start 30 minutes before the pre-order, initially it was hour, then it dropped to 37 min and then 8 min, and now I'm almost in(less than a minute)  :happy:

Got the book, back to the queue which is more than a hour now, so you better be on the website way before 10:00.

Edit: I saw the "we got your order" screen(and got charged) but no email notification, does anyone knows if it's because of the new website? :confused:

I got an email notification right after the screen

I was dreading Sea of Souls going out on the same day as LI, but that was probably the smoothest dash for a LE book I've ever had. No random freezing and emptying of carts, and payment made without a hitch or crash. The new website is still horrible to navigate but they get points for incorporating the queuing software into it.

@OpossumStrong my confirmation email took five minutes before it arrived so could just be delayed. But check your junk/spam as well. Your email provider might decide its spam now as its coming from warhammer.com rather than Games Workshop.

2 minutes ago, Von Großschmitt said:

I got an email notification right after the screen

Used my phone to do another order, got the screen, order number and visa charged me, and still no email notification or anything in my order history :huh:

Checked spam folder, empty as well. 

Edited by OpossumStrong

I won't bother to try and order it for the third time, I will contact support ASAP, but if there will be any problems with this order I'll just stop buying books, I'm tired of GW problems by now. 

But I will finish the siege, I'm glad its almost over. 

Edited by OpossumStrong

16 minutes ago, Nagashsnee said:

LE DoF book is still showing as available on the EU site. Dawn of fire aint looking too hot right now.

It was good news for me, because after this message I tried to reorder it again using paypal this time, and I got the confirmation instantly :laugh:

Edited by OpossumStrong

5 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

LE DoF book is still showing as available on the EU site. Dawn of fire aint looking too hot right now.

It's still up :laugh:

I'm happy for this TBH, on the other hand it's not that good, not once a series died because of bad sales, and I'm sure it wont encourage them to do more long series in the future :confused: 

58 minutes ago, DarkChaplain said:

I wouldn't underestimate the amount of pissed-off folks after TEATD2 on the new store, either. Or potentially broken bot scripts due to the store change. That probably threw a wrench into the automation bs scalpers were using up til now.

You cant scalp something people dont want mate.  Neither is it the first saturday on the new site. Its still available for sale, by BL le standards this is a dud.

Now i  believe in the author and think this may be the  best book to date....as low as that bar is.

But this is what the second to last book? Excitment should be peaking and people ready to go. Instead everyone is killing themshelves to get legiones imperialis which DID sell out. 

I just hope they learn from DoF mistakes.

I wouldn't necessarily blame bots or the inability to use bots; people weren't heavily using bots when The Solar War came out, and that book sold out immediately. The DoF was never that popular since Avenging Son, and the series' popularity went downhill even further after the latest two installments. Both books received fairly poor reviews, even on Audible, where people tend to give 5 stars to everything.

You can check second hand prices of SoT LEs and DoF LEs, DoF doesn't scalp for that much. I mean, The Iron Kingdom SE is selling for $60 on eBay. I'm a big Wraight's fanboy and not even his name on DoF convinced me.

2 hours ago, theSpirea said:

I wouldn't necessarily blame bots or the inability to use bots; people weren't heavily using bots when The Solar War came out, and that book sold out immediately. The DoF was never that popular since Avenging Son, and the series' popularity went downhill even further after the latest two installments. Both books received fairly poor reviews, even on Audible, where people tend to give 5 stars to everything.

You can check second hand prices of SoT LEs and DoF LEs, DoF doesn't scalp for that much. I mean, The Iron Kingdom SE is selling for $60 on eBay. I'm a big Wraight's fanboy and not even his name on DoF convinced me.

Solar war was different, you could buy 10 copies in one go, there were no restrictions.

Maybe the bot do got a problem with charging or ordering, just like I did today :laugh:

Yeah you can get the last 2 books for almost GW original price, 10$ extra, give or take. 

To be fair it didn’t help the DoF series that the last two entries were only related to it by the banner on the cover.  I have faith in Wraight providing a good story, but I’m not sure even he can put the series back on course with only one more book to come.  It’s a shame, as the series premise was good.

Edited by Felix Antipodes
Fat fingers

Regarding the DoF series...have seen some reviews and comments indicating that some of the books work well as standalone novels/stories. 

Do you think BL would have been better going down the “setting” route rather than “series” route. Exactly the same books but badged as “Era Indomitus” but not a sequential series as such.

I wonder if having the books as a setting but still showing some links and call out to each other would have been viewed more favourably and even been thought of as pretty neat?

Clearly other contemporaneous novels would also be badged Era Indomitus but these show closer links. 

17 minutes ago, DukeLeto69 said:

Regarding the DoF series...have seen some reviews and comments indicating that some of the books work well as standalone novels/stories. 

Do you think BL would have been better going down the “setting” route rather than “series” route. Exactly the same books but badged as “Era Indomitus” but not a sequential series as such.

I wonder if having the books as a setting but still showing some links and call out to each other would have been viewed more favourably and even been thought of as pretty neat?

Clearly other contemporaneous novels would also be badged Era Indomitus but these show closer links. 

I mean that's how they used to do 40k novels :sweat:. I vastly prefer novels written in a somewhat shared universe with nods to eachother rather than this pass the baton style relay which is honestly a thing I don't think any publisher would be able to handle well.

1 hour ago, DukeLeto69 said:

I really think it’s the lack of a strong editorial hand, and that goes for the all multi author series BL has attempted over the years.  Keeping the talent on track is part and parcel of the job description imho.

I think an Era Indomitus tagline is sort of unnecessary - most of the current stories are set there - but if they run with a Scouring (or any series not in the “now”) then a tagline might be useful.

38 minutes ago, Felix Antipodes said:

I really think it’s the lack of a strong editorial hand, and that goes for the all multi author series BL has attempted over the years.  

I feel like this is one of the reasons DoF has been so poorly received, as BL made a big thing at the start of Guy Haley being put in charge of guiding the whole series, so people had high hopes that the storylines would be well-controlled and avoid some of the meanderings that tHH was criticised for.