Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

14 minutes ago, System Sound said:

My money is on TEatD. Pats on the back how "great" the whole series was and a release date. 

Maybe I'll skip the show then, I don't feel like vomiting right now, I'll leave that to Scribe so he can shake with rage

Edited by darkhorse0607

54 minutes ago, theSpirea said:

Interesting to see Jude Reid, love her short stories. Hope she's announcing a Crime novel. French probably Ahriman rather than finishing Horusian Wars 3.

Also curious about the Old World setting. New books? Reprints?

Considering French has an Ahriman novel dropping next year, with Amazon listing, that's going to be it.

6 minutes ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

Are the Ahriman novels worth checking out?  I've got them all on my pile of shame, but no one seems to talk about them along the same lines as say, the Bile or Night Lords trilogies, so they keep getting pushed towards the bottom of my priority list.

Depends how much you enjoy John French.

The first omnibus should be read as one book, IMO. Barring the middle book, they're all paced wonkily as individual narratives, and Unchanged especially reads well as a climax and poorly as a novel by itself. (Skipping the omnibus would also see you losing out on the excellent Ctesias anthology, arguably the highlight of the whole thing.) It's all good Tzeentchian plans within plans and psychadelic imagery. My biggest issue with the series is just that it's almost completely humourless; everyone is so self-serious it can get a bit exhausting. Ahriman himself is well drawn but loses a bit of the spice he had back in ATS.

I'm personally confused about Eternal getting more mixed reviews, I didn't think he needed a second trilogy but that book really won me over - some very interesting things happen I didn't expect.

36 minutes ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

Are the Ahriman novels worth checking out?  I've got them all on my pile of shame, but no one seems to talk about them along the same lines as say, the Bile or Night Lords trilogies, so they keep getting pushed towards the bottom of my priority list.

A Thousand Sons, Crimson King and Fury of Magnus are better. But Ahriman Pentalogy is still good, but not as good as what came before.

Is it worth a read? Try reading Ahriman Exile. If it hooks you, read the rest. Especially the short stories. Ctesias is a wonderful character.

Edited by System Sound

6 hours ago, cheywood said:

My guesses:

Mike Brooks - Ork novel

John French - Ahriman Immortal

Jude Reid - SoB novel

Marc Collins - Eidolon 

Guy Haley - DoF book 8

Frankly, I’d be surprised if we got more than this.  Maybe a new Crime novel or anthology, but it seems the Horror imprint is either dying or already dead.  I would like them to also showcase the last Primarchs novel (Horus) even if they don’t plan to release it soonish.  There will be something for AoS as well but who from is anyone’s guess.

I am extremely curious who they have commissioned to write the tie-ins for the “Old World” setting (they will need a quality writer for it to take off) but that is outside the scope of this forum.

I see a Trazyn or Cain model release linked to this (maybe)

1 hour ago, Felix Antipodes said:

Frankly, I’d be surprised if we got more than this.  Maybe a new Crime novel or anthology, but it seems the Horror imprint is either dying or already dead.  I would like them to also showcase the last Primarchs novel (Horus) even if they don’t plan to release it soonish.  There will be something for AoS as well but who from is anyone’s guess.

I am extremely curious who they have commissioned to write the tie-ins for the “Old World” setting (they will need a quality writer for it to take off) but that is outside the scope of this forum.

I see a Trazyn or Cain model release linked to this (maybe)

I’m expecting 3-5 other novels to be announced for the various settings, but I doubt they’ll be heavy hitters. Maybe a Scouring tease?

11 hours ago, cheywood said:

My guesses:

Mike Brooks - Ork novel

John French - Ahriman Immortal

Jude Reid - SoB novel

Marc Collins - Eidolon 

Guy Haley - DoF book 8

I agree and I think, sadly, anyone hoping for more will be disappointed (as in Scouring Series, or Black Legion 3, new Crime season etc)

On 12/3/2023 at 8:34 PM, cheywood said:

Mike Brooks and John French both are doing interviews at the preview. French is almost certainly talking about Ahriman Immortal. Could Brooks be talking about a new Ork novel to tie-in with the SE release of Brutal Kunnin’?

Not a good sign that. No ADB, Abnett or Wraight likely means all the most anticipated stuff is again, not coming.

There is usually a segment with Nick Kyme where he reveals new books as well, we can still hope there is something in there.

Eidolon is really the only book I have some mild interest in from what we see speculated of these 4 authors.

On the other hand, Warhammer Community did literally say:

"There’s a festive treat for Warhammer fiction fans this Saturday, as the annual Black Library Preview returns with huge new titles"

So surely , that means there will actually be huge new titles released, right? I know, no one believes it. I certainly wouldnt say the next Ahriman or Dawn of Fire book counts as a huge title, Ahriman is pretty niche and DoF has been a big flop.

Edited by Taliesin

2 hours ago, Taliesin said:

Not a good sign that. No ADB, Abnett or Wraight likely means all the most anticipated stuff is again, not coming.

There is usually a segment with Nick Kyme where he reveals new books as well, we can still hope there is something in there.

Eidolon is really the only book I have some mild interest in from what we see speculated of these 4 authors.

On the other hand, Warhammer Community did literally say:

"There’s a festive treat for Warhammer fiction fans this Saturday, as the annual Black Library Preview returns with huge new titles"

So surely , that means there will actually be huge new titles released, right? I know, no one believes it. I certainly wouldnt say the next Ahriman or Dawn of Fire book counts as a huge title, Ahriman is pretty niche and DoF has been a big flop.

To the WHC marketing team every title is a huge title. Literally the best.

That being said, earlier salt aside I am trying to temper my expectations given the author listing. I'm always on board for Mike Brooks and I can always hope it's another Alpha Legion adventure, French I can live with but without Wraight or ADB being there (second year in a row I believe) I'm not as pumped as I might be. I just don't want to get excited about all the places the books can go in the next year just for none of it to be even remotely close and it just being End and the Death, some AoS and Dawn of Fire.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong

1 hour ago, theSpirea said:

BL quality control at its best. Not only there are design flaws (logos not aligned: Forges of Mars LE, missing logos: DoF 6, typos: Gotrek), also the binding quality of thicker SoT LEs is atrocious.

BL - Copy.jpg

Yeah I’ve had to get multiple SoT LEs patched up, including one with a broken binding just like you’ve got there. The bookbinder explained that the heavy gloss paper from the map pages and illustrations, combined with not so great binding, pulls the binding apart. Luckily all the bindings are sewn so it’s repairable (unlike with a book that’s just glued together), but it shouldn’t be an issue in the first place.