Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

8 minutes ago, Bestkeptsecret said:

Since Chris Wraight is nowhere to be found on any social media, does anyone know if the sequel to the Lords of Silence Death Guard novel will be released shortly i.e. within the next 2 years?

There’s no info out there about what Wraight’s been up to since he left Twitter. He has a website if you want to try reaching out but I doubt you’ll learn any specifics. 

25 minutes ago, grailkeeper said:

What has ADB been working on recently do we know? He wrote Echoes of Eternity and thr Chaos gate game. He's also done a bit of copy writing for GW generally. Any idea otherwise what he is working on? 

Generally? Black Legion 3 and Spears 2, but like with Wraight there’s no info about the current state of things since he’s off social media.

There were a couple of surprises on the preview tonight, but the biggest screams of discontent will be the absence of anything from the holy trio of ADB, Abnett or Wraight.  There are a couple of books from French, the expected Ahriman and a new Cado - AoS seemed to do okay this time around.

I was amazed by how they breezed over the new books from Kloster and McCormick.  They barely rated a mention from the hosts.  The Morvenn Vahl book from Jude Reid is the stand out for me, as well as Marc Collins’ Eidolon.

Nothing for the crime and horror imprints was also disappointing but expected.  New art book to keep milking the HH cash cow was the same.

Still waiting on the preview article to finish uploading but out of the interviews I'd say I'm most excited about the Jude Reid novel, I'm not much of a Sisters of Battle fan but the angle she said she is going at it with them facing the Night Lords and how they appear polar opposites but both do terrible things sounds interesting.

Brooks is always a yes for me, and Eidelon sounds ok but again, not an Emperors Children person so it might sit in the backlog for a while

Another year with no Black Legion 3. Why does Black Library hate me

The war com article teased Old World novels, and Fnac says Graham McNeill’s Lords of the Lance is out next month, yet there’s nary a mention of a beloved setting’s literary return from a decade long absence (unless I missed that part of the preview). While I’ll never argue against BL’s incompetence at promoting their products, my guess is McNeill’s book is accompanying the Old World’s return so they’re waiting to announce it. The book’s out on the 20th of January, so I guess WFB is back on the 6th? Did I just inadvertently discover a major release date? Either way, interesting for those who care. I can’t wait for some classic fantasy myself.

The preview itself was extremely lackluster in terms of the number of titles, but Reid and Brooks have some great concepts on their hands and I’m at the very least intrigued by everything else announced.

The stream was a bit disappointing. Was hoping they would reveal more. Those two books by Kloster and McCormick were announced so quickly I barely registered who was the second author.

Eidolon cover looks amazing and so far all HH Character entries were great, I'm getting that one. Will try to go for Infinite LE, love that book and missed on regular HB. Hollow King LE has that nice gothic style, will have to re-read the book to decide whether it's worth it. And Jude Reid's SoB.

I'm surprised they haven't mention SoT and Horus novel.

Still waiting for the article that was supposed to go live immediately once the stream ends. They managed to put some interview videos on Youtube but the writeup? lost in the warp.

....at least the new miniature got an article to itself, I suppose.

As for the Jude Reid novel, I was super disappointed about it. I was hoping for something from, say, Crime, not yet another Sisters novel that I won't get into and don't even enjoy the model of the protagonist of.

I am happy about Haley having another Drekki Flynt novel, and French with Cado Ezechiar, though. The first of the new AoS Characters they rolled out in recent years that actually got sequel novels, iirc.

Edited by DarkChaplain

I forgot that there was supposed to be something for the WFB setting.  At least it is McNeill writing it as he at least knows the setting.  Frankly, I’ve never been able to come to grips with the AoS setting, so can’t wait for the return of the original setting.

I’m still mystified about the lack of info wrt the Horus Primarch novel.  Surely it and E&D III will be out at (or before) next year’s BL Celebration, so why the silence?

The new model was okay, but not for me.  Happy for Brooks though.  Still annoyed at no new Crime stuff.  It has been the most consistent of the BL imprints to date.

Oh look, they remembered that they created a new "Renegades" label when Harrowmaster dropped. Only took them a year to follow it up with a second book under the logo.

Glad to see Eidolon is a pre-Siege novel, apparently, so there's a chance it'll finally address the retcon-by-ommission that Swallow did with Typhus and Mortarion.

Will just leave this one here

Spoiler

The son of Baron Lothar Aquilena is taken captive in the Land of the Dead. Despite the bitter divide between Duke Carrard of Quenelles and the Baron, they form an uneasy alliance, mounting a treacherous expedition into the cursed realm.

READ IT BECAUSE

It’s a tale of chivalry coming before personal rivalries as noble knights attempt to rescue a nobleman's kidnapped son from the clutches of the undead.

THE STORY

When the son of Baron Lothar Aquilena of the Border Princes is taken captive, he calls in a debt of honour owed to him by Duke Carrard of Quenelles once his brother-in-arms and now his bitter rival.

This uneasy alliance of warrior knights mounts a dangerous expedition into the lifeless desolation beyond the badlands to a forgotten realm cursed to know neither water nor shade. The baron's son is held captive in the Land of the Dead, and the kings and queens of old do not rest easy in their tombs.

h48661jkfb5c1.jpg

6 hours ago, fire golem said:

Wasn’t particularly thrilled with how often I heard ‘this book sold out really quick on release, so here’s a special limited edition for people who missed it!’.

Eddie did say that and of course it made me think "well if you guys printed more than 50 copies it would not sell out that quickly but thanks for making it available at double the price a year later"

I do like that they do more and more special editions though. Just wasnt anything there that caught my interest this time, and to be honest I do think very few BL books are really good enough to shell out 50 EUR for.

6 hours ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

That BL preview was pretty sparse.  I assume it was only for the first quarter/period running up to the BL celebration.  

Sparse indeed. Usually it covers releases up until May of the next year, but we know it does not include all releases from that period.

What was clearly missing this year is a big tentpole release to center the other smaller, more niche books around. If you have a "halo" release then the rest looks better next to it, now they basically jsut revealed some very low hype books.

So with ADB, Wraight and Abnett not mentioned at all, we may still hope for a 2024 release from them as this clearly only covers 10% of what they will do next year.

11 hours ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

That BL preview was pretty sparse.  I assume it was only for the first quarter/period running up to the BL celebration.  

Maybe a bit sparse but I’m honestly really excited for everything new that got announced 40k wise. There are five new books that have the chance to be excellent reads. As for the people bummed about no SoT/Horus Primarch Novel announcements, did you really think GW was gonna let you wrap everything up this easily? No shot, folks. SoT won’t be milked dry until August somehow lol.

Personally I’m most excited for Renegades: Lords of Excess and Morvenn Vahl: Spear of Faith.

It’s still early and there will be plenty of surprises I’m sure but I think we do have some really solid novels coming up this next year for 40k.

This is probably not the right thread and I apologise for that in advance. I had read complaints about this, I guess from people who had this happen when reading them, but I have never received a "new" book like this. In this case I had to go through ebay, and my question is whether it's a used book or if BL is shipping the books like this from the factory. I promise you that the pictures don't do justice to the mess, it looks like :cuss:.

IMG-8220.jpg

IMG-8222.jpg

IMG-8224.jpg