Necrons in the Ark of Omens era

Lord_Ikka

Necron Army List v1

2000 points, 6 CP

Dynasty: Nihilakh; Objective Secured on all units except Dynastic Agents/C’tan, units in my Deployment Zone treat AP -1 as AP 0

Command Protocol that is constant - Hungry Void: +1 Str if Charging/Charged/Heroic

Pre-deployment Stratagems- Relic (-1CP), Dynastic Heirlooms (-1CP): +1 Relic, Warlord Trait (-1CP)

Ark of Omen Detachment (Mandatory – 1 HQ, 3 FA)

HQ

Technomancer (70pts): Canoptek Cloak.

Chronomancer (75pts): Aeonstave. RELIC (Veil of Darkness)

Elites

C’tan Shard of the Nightbringer (320pts): Gaze of Death, Transdimensional Thunderbolt

Hexmark Destroyer (65pts): RELIC (Gauntlet of the Conflagrator)

Lychguard (250pts): 10x Hyperphase Sword and Dispersion Shield

Skorpekh Destroyers (180pts): 2x Hyperphase Reap-Blade, 4x Hyperphase Threshers

Fast Attack

Canoptek Scarab Swarms (75pts): 5x Feeder Mandibles

Canoptek Scarab Swarms (60pts): 4x Feeder Mandibles

Triarch Praetorians (100pts): 5x Rod of the Covenant

Heavy Support

Lokhust Heavy Destroyer (150pts): 3x Gauss Destructor

LoW

The Silent King (400pts): WARLORD, WARLORD TRAIT

My initial ideas on a list- lean into no Troops, but still have ObSec almost everywhere. Nightbringer is a huge pain for enemies/distraction, Lychguard/Technomancer provide a big brick of hard to kill stuff. I grabbed some Praetorians because the cost went down and with AoC now gone, their d2 AP -2 Rods might be pretty useful, as well as their 10" movement helping keep the army very mobile. Hexmark Destroyer is in there for really no point other than I haven't ever used one and just got the model for Xmas, but I think he could be decent against some backfield enemy infantry units. I could always switch him out for some Deathmarks that sit on my backfield objective I guess. Thoughts?

Edited by Lord_Ikka

I’m leaning a little more Mephrit personally.  I see using a single brick, if not more, of Warriors.  Perhaps a Ghost Ark, and more tomb blades. 

I’m just not feeling as confident with the assault units, and with AoC gone, I feel like there’s a slight opening here to get some good shooty on the table. I like the doomsday ark, amd it just hit a little cheaper as well. I’m a sucker for iconic units and will definitely be fielding the death ray monolith for fun. 

That's fair- I got into Necrons with the Imperium sub, so my lists don't really go the shooting route as much as they do melee. I do have a Monolith, and will definitely be using one in a fun list with a Nightbringer/Void Dragon combo to just annoy the crap out of my opponent with tough stuff to kill.

Ugh, looks like RAW the Silent King makes a detachment Szarekhan (per the current FAQ), so I can't do my list until that is FAQ'd. Whelp, time for a Novokh "charge at the enemy with screaming metal kill-bots" list!

Necron Army List

1995 points, 4CP

Dynasty: Novokh; +1 to Charge rolls, in melee if my unit Charge/Charged/Heroic gain +1 AP

Command Protocol that is constant - Hungry Void: +1 Str if Charging/Charged/Heroic, 6s to Wound in melee gain +1 AP

Pre-deployment Stratagems- Relic (-1CP), Heroic Support (-1CP)

Ark of Omen Detachment (Mandatory – 1 HQ, 3 Elite)

HQ

Technomancer (70pts): Canoptek Cloak.

Chronomancer (75pts): Aeonstave. RELIC (Veil of Darkness), WARLORD

Elites

C’tan Shard of the Nightbringer (320pts): Gaze of Death, Transdimensional Thunderbolt

C’tan Shard of the Void Dragon (300pts): Voltaic Storm, Antimatter Meteor

Lychguard (250pts): 10x Hyperphase Sword and Dispersion Shield

Canoptek Plasmacyte (15pts): Monomolecular Proboscis

Canoptek Plasmacyte (15pts): Monomolecular Proboscis

Fast Attack

Canoptek Wraiths (210): 6x Vicious Claws

Heavy Support

Lokhust Heavy Destroyer (50pts): Gauss Destructor

Edited by Lord_Ikka

I paint Szarekhan and don't do proxies, so I'm pretty much stuck with them. Having said that, it does look like there is a lot of flexability to not use troops, although they did include some new incentives for obsec units for some of the new rules with objective bonuses. I'll give bricks of 20 warrors with ghost arks a go with the recent drop, and maybe feel adventurous enough to try the monolith. Not having to pay CP for reserves, CP for the detachment, and having it included in the new super arks detachment also means partaking in the same dynasty rules, coupled with the points drop, I want to give it a whirl. I'll dust off some domb blades for quick objective grabbers as well. 

As always, with zero data with such a big shake up, hard to tell what the new meta will turn into but I get the feeling that vehicles will be more prominant than before with iron hands getting their old mojo back, significant vehicle drops, new and amazing guard tanks, etc. Void dragon can have some fun maybe. 

While I have a horde list in mind that I will never build, I am looking at what I have with AoO

Mephrit

2 technomancers one with cloak, one with canoptek controller

2x10 deathmarks

6 skorpekhs

Hexmark destroyer

3 Tomb SPiders w gloomprism + 3x Partilcle beamers

plasma cyte

murder buckets

2x6 tomb blades

6 scarabs

Heavy Destroyers x3

Annihilation barge but might sub it out for the walker thing.

I think that the removal of eternal expansionists, combined with the previous changes to command protocols, might tip the balance in favour of playing as one of the established factions rather than a custom one. Not sure which. 

the price drop for warriors is great. It’s interesting to see another drop for triarch praetorians. I’ve always thought they were pretty ok but crowded out of spots by wraiths and scarabs. The option of taking 6 FA choices might let them in, or else just let people bring more wraiths and scarabs. 

3 hours ago, Mandragola said:

It’s interesting to see another drop for triarch praetorians. I’ve always thought they were pretty ok but crowded out of spots by wraiths and scarabs. The option of taking 6 FA choices might let them in, or else just let people bring more wraiths and scarabs.

For 100 points I'm seriously looking at them. With AoC gone, the rods at AP -3 d2 are great marine killers and they are fast. While not as durable as Wraiths, they hit better and harder for the points so I'll be testing Praetorians out soon.

It’s definitely pretty weird, as a marine player as well, to see Praetorians line up compared to something like Intercessors. How are these guys just 2 points more expensive? I guess they miss out on some special rules for being Triarch units but they still get plenty. They’re weirdly cheap. 

On 1/8/2023 at 2:38 PM, Mandragola said:

It’s definitely pretty weird, as a marine player as well, to see Praetorians line up compared to something like Intercessors. How are these guys just 2 points more expensive? I guess they miss out on some special rules for being Triarch units but they still get plenty. They’re weirdly cheap. 

it’s been a while for me since I had any desire to play them. Don’t they have to forgo faction traits? Seems a bit of a hard sell to me still. 

20 hours ago, Prot said:

it’s been a while for me since I had any desire to play them. Don’t they have to forgo faction traits? Seems a bit of a hard sell to me still. 

They cannot benefit from dynasty traits, correct. Praetorians are just stale for me, that point drops cannot fix. For a unit that is a unique level of "elite" with the amount of authority and power they possess, a missed opportunity by GW to expand on this via rules. It would make up for the fact they cannot benefit from the same dynasty traits if they had some kind of special rule bone given to them to make them stand out.

I find it mildly amusing watching the monolith drop about 100 points since the initial codex release.