Vallejo Game Colour Re-launch

I saw a post by Angel Giraldez last year saying that he was working with Vallejo on reformulating the Game Colour range, but it was a bit scant on details. I've just seen that Vallejo has created a mini-site for the new range, complete with colour chart.

The short version is:

• Higher pigmentation/coverage
  • Matte finish instead of satin
  • Longer working times
  • Clear bottles instead of frosted bottles
  • Some additions and removals colour-wise

Tale of Painters' Stahly has just posted a video review of the full range (warning: 1 instance of swearing). 

The removals mostly seem to be in the "extra opaque" and "game effects" lines, although some of the regular paints have also been removed - Dark Blue (old Nauseating Blue analog), Stormy Blue, Livery Green (old Bilious Green analog), Mutation Green, Filthy Brown (old Vomit Brown analog), Dwarf Skin (old Dwarf Flesh analog), Terracotta, and Ghost Grey (the video shows a full list - I've just pulled out the main ones).

Apologies if it's been covered before (I did a search and couldn't find anything), but I thought it was worth mentioning the removals in case anyone wants to stock up...

Edited by Firedrake Cordova
Added links to the colour chart & Vallejo's site

I watched Stahly's video yesterday on it. I think most of it looks good.

From what I saw in the video, I'd look to Citadel, Two Thin Coats or some of Vallejo's other brands for metallics, the coverage isn't great on those. For the technical paints, you're probably better off sticking with Citadel as well, although it looks like they're fine. There was some glossy contrast-like paints as well that were weird, not sure what those would be used for. There's a yellow wash as well that is really bright, don't know what anyone would do with that, but if you have a use for it, then go for it. He covers all that in the review, which I think is quite in-depth and helpful.

And I think that's all I remember off the top of my head. I think overall they look pretty good. I've been mostly using model color for my vallejo paints, so I'm looking forward to trying some of these out.

I wonder how the new brush on varnish is. I just got rid of the previous game color varnish I had, it was too streaky and I just never liked it.

2 hours ago, Cyrox said:

I saw this - is Angel Green a new colour? Sits between the Dark Green and Sick Green from the looks if it?

As best as I can see, it's an addition to the range, yes.

1 hour ago, phandaal said:

Vallejo's game color paints already have better coverage than some other brands. Interested to try out the new formulation and see if it really is even better than before.

I think part of the issue with them was that some colours had excellent coverage, and others (yellows and similar) don't (I know some pigments cover worse than others, etc). I think I'm correct in saying that the Model Colour line generally had better coverage than the Game Colour line (and is matte rather than satin, but less durable), so I'm wondering if the reformulation brings the two in line?

1 hour ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

I think most of it looks good.

It looks good, other than removing some of the colours, as I use 1 or 2 of them. Although I suppose I could just buy those from Coat D'Arms ...

From what I saw in the video, I'd look to Citadel, Two Thin Coats or some of Vallejo's other brands for metallics, the coverage isn't great on those.

Vallejo's Metal Colour range is hard to beat (unless you want to drybrush), although it does have a limited range of colours. I quite like the Darkstar Molten Metals and P3 ranges, too.

I wonder how the new brush on varnish is. I just got rid of the previous game color varnish I had, it was too streaky and I just never liked it.

I'd be interested to see how it compares to their existing polyurethane varnish (which is great, although I've only used it through an airbrush).

18 minutes ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

Vallejo's Metal Colour range is hard to beat (unless you want to drybrush), although it does have a limited range of colours. I quite like the Darkstar Molten Metals and P3 ranges, too.

I have some of the metal color range, it's quite nice. I'm quite a fan as well.

18 minutes ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

I'd be interested to see how it compares to their existing polyurethane varnish (which is great, although I've only used it through an airbrush).

I picked up some of that recently for airbrushing, looking forward to giving it a try. I'm certain it's better than the old game color one, which I thought was quite terrible. Surprisingly so, as I usually quite like most things Vallejo makes.

As for removing colors, I mostly have metal color/model color from them. I think I only have some game color inks from a flames of war set? So because of that, it doesn't bother me, but that's obviously as anecdotal as it can get.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

• 2 weeks later...