Assault on Black Reach: A Trip Down Memory Lane

Lord La sadies

Hi

The new 10th edition starter box is coming soon and I'm excited, but before we get to see all the new models, let's take a look back at the 2008 starter box, "Assault on Black Reach," 

While the quality of newer starter boxes like "Dark Vengeance" or "Age of Sigmar" may be superior, they don't quite capture the same level of pure joy that "Assault on Black Reach" brought when it was released.

One of the things that made "Assault on Black Reach" so great was the inclusion of a dreadnought in the box, as well as the unique Ork Warboss. The price point for the box was also perfect. However, as I looked through my storage unit and saw my old marines, broken, chipped, and forgotten, I felt quite sad and depressed. These were the marines that brought me so much joy in 2008, and I couldn't bear to see them in such a state. So I decided to repair and repaint them, making them new and shiny again, and putting them on display in my cabinet.

I'm happy to share my restored marines with you, even if I don't have the orcs. It's a great opportunity to look back and remember this fantastic starter box.

brcap.thumb.jpg.c0b7645dc6479f89f3854d9f658908a7.jpg385520305_brtaqsuad.thumb.jpg.760ca3b2abc08a8640006f00834361d2.jpgtaqmarin1.thumb.jpg.0df06711678e5ff287efcfdae3bddf06.jpg1909169836_Blackreachdredis.thumb.jpg.00444186af3a1d3d8e37bcf23d5ac46e.jpgtermos.thumb.jpg.1ddc9d7120fa9dde5fe69d192dbb577b.jpg

Ahh this brings me back, I only got the box because of the marines with the Templar style helms and the missile launcher guy for my heresy era Word Bearers, the commander made a good proxy Garro as well. 

Good job on the restoration, they look really good.

I’m actually in the middle of stripping my AOBR Captain (also my avatar). The Terminators and Dread got repainted a while ago, but I’ve always thought I’d leave the Tactical Marines the way they are—they were my first painted models, after all. (The dread might get another repaint—I’ve since updated my white recipe.)

• 2 months later...

When I worked for GW this was the starter box. I recruited tons of new players with that starter. Great set, good price point. Its shame the prices now are way beyond recruiting young gamers right off the street anymore. Hurts my soul. Thats how we keep the hobby alive. Made a lot of good friends.

Lovely paint jobs. Great detailing, and the bases are superb.  The captain is beautifully done.  Brings back good memories of the Los Angeles Battle Bunker when it was still around.

Edited by Master Toddius

• 2 weeks later...