Competitive Castellans of the Rift (?)

L30n1d4s

Anyone else using these UM successors (with their own WD rules)?

https://games-workshop.ru/wh40k9ed/factions/space-marines/castellans-of-the-rift#Codex-Supplement:-Castellans-of-the-Rift

I just found out about them recently and I think they are potentially quite strong:

-As an UM Successor, acces to their super Doctrine, Strats, Relics, etc., so decent here, if not amazing

-Chapter Tactics are +1 to hit after charging and mini Transhuman, so also pretty solid

-Some very good WL Traits, including one to give a whole unit +1S in melee and another giving the WL +1A, plus full Transhuman permanently 

-A strong set of Relics, including a S8 AP-3 Dmg3 (no penalty to hit) Boltstorm Gauntlet, a Relic for free rerolls on all Chaplain Litanies, and Relic Armor that let's the bearer always fight first and Heroic Intervention 6"

-Strats are very good, with standouts being 1) the ability to give a unit 5+ FNP when next to an Objective, 2) give any unit Objective Secured, 3) the ability for any unit to Heroic Intervention 6", 4) a pre-game Strat to allow three units to normal move, and 5) the ability to give a unit's Bolt Weapons an additional -1AP at half range.

Overall,  you can see that this is a very solid package, especially when adding in all baseline Space Marine/ Ultramarine options and the new rules and points drops for Marines.

One limitation is that Castellans of the Rift are Primaris only, but that is how I run my army anyway, so no downside there. I especially like the balanced enhancements to close combat, shooting, and durability that they bring to the fight.

Anyway, that's my thoughts, but what does everyone else think? Any experiences, good or bad, playing with them so far?

Edited by L30n1d4s

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying, it slipped my radar! :facepalm:

I think the rules are quite interesting. Those Strategums are particularly useful, potentially even game winning.

The army seems to lean towards melee, so I think Bladeguard in particular really stand out as a unit that can benefit from their "mini" transhuman as at T4 they are more likely to big hit by things that are twice their toughness over Aggressors, for example.

Getting +1 to hit will help Aggressors greatly too, though Bladeguard hitting on 2s is still delicious.

Do you have any army builds in mind?

Those rules sounds pretty good to be fair, some really good utility in them. 

The chapter tactic would get your Bladeguard to 2+ to hit on the charge.

The strat for moving pregame is very nice, same/similar to rapid redeploy. 

I also think, with the change to doctrines, you could get some work out of Heavy/normal Intercessors. The strat in half range for extra AP, couple with Tactical doctrine and the native -1AP (rapidfire version), you could be having -3 AP bolters, and depending on relics, litanies, character buffs, enough rerolls to really hurt things with a tide of S4 shots.