How does Herald work?

Go to solution Solved by Focslain,

This might be my dyslexia, but each time I read the Herald rule I keep getting more confused.

Can I use the Herald ability with 1 Questor and 2 Armigers, or do I need 2 Questors and 2 Armigers?

If 2 Questors, does the Herald need to be within 9 inches of the Questor issuing the Bondsman ability?

Or within 9 inches of both Armigers?

1. Armiger 1 <<12 inches>> Questor 1 <<9 inches>> Questor 2 (Herald) <<9 inches>> Armiger 2
  2. Questor 1 <<12 inches>> Armiger 1 <<9 inches>> Questor 2 (Herald) <<9 inches>> Armiger 2
  3. Armiger 1 <<12 inches>> Questor 1 (Herald) <<9 inches>> Armiger 2

Or are multiple of these scenarios correct?

The Herald acts as a relay. Normally you can only target an armigar within 12" for the bondsmen ability. In the case of the Herald, the model granting the bondsman ability can be within 9" of the herald and the target armigar within 9" of the Herald. Giving you a range of 18+ for the bondsman ability. So none of your examples are valid.

The reason the rule states model is because of the Bastard Helm relic which grants an Armigar a bondsman ability.

Basically it's this:

Bondsman>>>9">>>Herald>>>9">>>Armigar

9 hours ago, Focslain said:

The Herald acts as a relay. Normally you can only target an armigar within 12" for the bondsmen ability. In the case of the Herald, the model granting the bondsman ability can be within 9" of the herald and the target armigar within 9" of the Herald. Giving you a range of 18+ for the bondsman ability. So none of your examples are valid.

The reason the rule states model is because of the Bastard Helm relic which grants an Armigar a bondsman ability.

Basically it's this:

Bondsman>>>9">>>Herald>>>9">>>Armigar

Thanks that really helped.

So just rephrasing for clarity.  The Herald just extends the range of the bondsman ability.  It does not let you give 2 Armigers the same bondsman ability.

• Solution
10 hours ago, ValourousHeart said:

Thanks that really helped.

So just rephrasing for clarity.  The Herald just extends the range of the bondsman ability.  It does not let you give 2 Armigers the same bondsman ability.

Correct.

Not that you can't get two armigars with one bondsman ability, but that is done via the Knightly Teaching: Wisdom of Nobility and/or if playing crusade, the relic Equerry's Vox