Getting out of print black library books

Go to solution Solved by Sothalor,

AbeBooks (usually overpriced), Facebook group (there's Black Library Sale - this one is pretty bad since the admins allow scalpers so be careful there not to get ripped off. Black Library Nutters - heard only good things about it, if anything, members help you with fair price evaluation).

Depends how old the book is, you might still be able to order it from retailers - search for FLGS in your area/country.

Black Library Nutters Facebook group is your best bet.  Put a post on there with the books you are after, and keep checking every day for people selling books.  

eBay is also worth checking, although it’s riddled with over priced scalper listings.  But there are some genuine listings at good prices too.

Edited by Ubiquitous1984

• Solution

You have two primary options, depending on your where you live.

The first would be the digital second-hand market as theSpirea and Ubiquitous1984 pointed out.

The second would be going to check physical store locations. For this you're very much at the mercy of what you have available to you. In descending order of your probability of locating a physical copy of a BL novel, my experience and advice goes:

• Warhammer stores - the retail shops operated directly by Games Workshop. These typically have a stock (of potentially varying size and quality) of BL works.
  • Local hobby shops that stock GW stuff - in my experience, if a FLGS stocks Warhammer stuff, they tend to have BL items as well (I legit suspect there may be some kind of contractual obligation GW imposes).
  • Mass market retail bookseller stores - I'm fortunate enough to still have a Barnes & Noble (large American retail chain) physical store near me. They do have a collection of Black Library novels in the Science Fiction & Fantasy section. They don't stock all new hardcover releases, typically only trade paperbacks and hardcovers from the Heresy/Siege and Primarch/Character series.
  • Local used bookstores - really hit-or-miss, depending on what they stock. I'm very fortunate in this regard that I have several relatively close to me, and one of them has a surprisingly large selection of Warhammer novels. They're mostly older, mass market paperback formats from the early/mid-2000s, but occasionally something more recent crops up.

Obviously, all this is entirely contingent on what exists/is available to you. You'll have to do your own legwork and searches "on the ground" where you are.

It used to be very easy to find older used BL books on Amazon.co.uk's marketplace, either from individual sellers or smaller bookshops selling through it. There wasn't any collectors market driving up prices too much for older stuff.

That seems to have changed over the last 2-3 years.  I tried to pick up a few copies of books that i only had in ebook version, only to find there no longer seems to be a used market at all for books that will now be out of print, or in the rare case that there is....it's a scalper offering extortionate prices. Valdor is on there right now with only one option for £358.99

Technically it predates the Black Library but I got a copy of Brian Craig's Plague Demon for under a fiver last month. The ebay seller even dropped the price twice in the two days I was watching!

By contrast I have paid silly money to plug gaps in my collection at times because opportunities were so rare.

The lesson is that availability and price vary hugely with what you're looking for.

• 1 year later...
On 1/10/2023 at 9:20 PM, Sothalor said:

You have two primary options, depending on your where you live.

The first would be the digital second-hand market as theSpirea and Ubiquitous1984 pointed out.

The second would be going to check physical store locations. For this you're very much at the mercy of what you have available to you. In descending order of your probability of locating a physical copy of a BL novel, my experience and advice goes:

• Warhammer stores - the retail shops operated directly by Games Workshop. These typically have a stock (of potentially varying size and quality) of BL works.
  • Local hobby shops that stock GW stuff - in my experience, if a FLGS stocks Warhammer stuff, they tend to have BL items as well (I legit suspect there may be some kind of contractual obligation GW imposes).
  • Mass market retail bookseller stores - I'm fortunate enough to still have a Barnes & Noble (large American retail chain) physical store near me. They do have a collection of Black Library novels in the Science Fiction & Fantasy section. They don't stock all new hardcover releases, typically only trade paperbacks and hardcovers from the Heresy/Siege and Primarch/Character series.
  • Local used bookstores - really hit-or-miss, depending on what they stock. I'm very fortunate in this regard that I have several relatively close to me, and one of them has a surprisingly large selection of Warhammer novels. They're mostly older, mass market paperback formats from the early/mid-2000s, but occasionally something more recent crops up. These are interesting methods. I often read books in black libraries. But unfortunately I don’t know a way to get a paper book. I can suggest a method with an e-book. I myself recently looked for how to write a research paper, I advise you to look here when you start writing a research paper - it helped me. I read a lot but I can’t write something of my own. This is a very strange problem and I don’t know how or what to do about it.

Obviously, all this is entirely contingent on what exists/is available to you. You'll have to do your own legwork and searches "on the ground" where you are.

These are interesting methods. I often read books in black libraries. But unfortunately I don’t know a way to get a paper book. I can suggest a method with an e-book.

Edited by jasicarose75