Jan 2023: GW Half-Yearly Financial Report, I had made a mistake, HH 2.0 overestimated

N1SB

@ N1SB Cool story, I wonder if her son is still playing Warhammer to this day? 

Selling it as an alternative to screens and a way to get kids to interact with others in reality is a good way to market. 

8 hours ago, alfred_the_great said:

And the (potentially apocryphal) statement that GW’s largest market is women in their 40s and 50s. 

what’s not apocryphal is the fact that GW’s business model is based on selling starter sets once to an individual, and accepting they may only be in the hobby for 12-18 months. People deep into the hobby funnel are not GW’s primary market. Source: Tom Hibberd

GWs business model is basically the lifecycle of the Xenomorph from Alien

The GW facehugger grabs little Timmy as a kid, it falls off when he discovers drinking and philandering, then when he thinks hes settled down it bursts out of his chest and he devours everything in sight

9 hours ago, Dark Shepherd said:

The GW facehugger grabs little Timmy as a kid, it falls off when he discovers drinking and philandering, then when he thinks hes settled down it bursts out of his chest and he devours everything in sight

I feel very seen right now. :whistling:

13 hours ago, The Praetorian of Inwit said:

@ N1SB Cool story, I wonder if her son is still playing Warhammer to this day? 

Selling it as an alternative to screens and a way to get kids to interact with others in reality is a good way to market. 

I heard what you said about retaining customers and I agree.  I've got no idea what happened to the kid.

Because there's a lot of tourism across the border, I do look forward to one day some college-age kid speaking either Mandarin or English (her mum did speak both, but I think she grilled me in Mandarin 'cos she wanted to get a read on me) saying it's his mum that got him into The Hobby from some shop in Hong Kong.  Then I'd be like, "Was it Warhammer Underworlds?"  Then he'd be like, "HOW DID YOU KNOW!?"

But until that day...

@N1SB That to me is one of the best aspects of 40k. The social aspect. Just two weeks ago I found out my local postman was into Warhammer and now when we pass each other we always stop for a chat. 

Indeed Warhammer is an amazing hobby. 

On 12/31/2023 at 11:10 PM, Dark Shepherd said:

Scarily sccurate...

I'm assuming this Jan's report will show much success - remember that being constntly sold out of stuff, while a PITA for us addicts, is good for business, and I imagine they will show strong numbers again. 

Crosses fingers and hopes they set up a second plant in Manchester...