Starting over

allwaysoffside

Hi,

After sometime away from the game - my kids saw some 40k models I had, and have purchased the Elite starter set. Luckily they enjoy the game, and one likes SM and the other loves Necrons.

As with all things GW I found a lot of info about the SM in the starter pack. And help with future plans for growth. So I have an idea of which units to guild my kid towards when increasing the size of the army. No point asking your kids to work fancy tactics and stuff.  They just need 2 types of unit.

• This one runs head first at the enemy and chops them up.
  • This one stays as still as possible and shoots them up.

I'm however after help in what to look at next for the Necron army. Eventual target pts is around 1000pts. What are the best / simple / forgiving units. Nothing that is going to require them to think to deeply about tactics. For example:

Warriors or Immortals for the next troops choice?

The Destroyers are cool - I was thinking about another squad or tacking 6 in one. Worth it? If not is there another fast moving choppy choppy unit to take?

And for the big stuff, are there units that can knock out a few S7-10 shots effectively?

Thanks for the help. 

If you want simple, a cryptek and 2 warrior blobs with reapers. 3 heavy Destroyers and skorpekhs for cool factor. Will give experience in all aspects of the game. You have the basic dudes taking the hits and doing damage with their guns supported by the technomancer bringing d3 back every turn. Then you have 3 destroyers in the back field killing tanks with their big guns and the cool looking skorpekhs charging into hand to hand.

Galron hits the high points—Skorpekhs are probably the most robust melee unit in terms of actual physicality—depending on your children’s age, they’re much less likely to accidentally break them than Flayed Ones (50 dollars for a box of five, highly recommend getting an old warrior box and converting them if you want that unit), or Wraiths or Ophydian Destroyers. Lokhust Heavy Destroyers with the heavy Gauss destructor will put out an appropriate but not overwhelming number of anti-tank shots. And then, I’d also recommend a second cryptek, likely a chronomancer, to provide either support to the back lines or to the second warrior brick. 

@Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch thanks for the guidance. The boys like the Skorpekh destroyers. They have 3 already and putting another 3 in the army means I'll have enough spare wounds so they are all but certain to get one of the hyper phase reap blade into contact. And once there they look like they can take care of themselves.

The heavy destoyers look to be a cool unit. I'd advice him to take 3 units 1 strong. Keep it mobile.

so something like:

1 Over lord (about 100pts)

1 Cryptek (90pts)

2x 10 warriors (260pts)

6x destroyers (210pts)

4x heavy destroyers (240pts)

900 pts

Leave a little bit of room for some more stuff