Overwatch with phosphex

HeinzD
Go to solution Solved by SkimaskMohawk,

Hey you guys, another rules question, about phosphex, again.

If i overwatch or return fire with, lets say, a phosphex bomb, id use the wall of death rule, since its a blast weapon and would make d3 hits instead of using a blast template.

Now there is the rule lingering death, which phosphex is kinda famous for. 

it say:

"when a blast weapon with this rule is used, after the attack is resolved leave the blast marker in play for the rest of the game and mark it with a counter of some kind. This area is now treated as dangerous terrain for all models with a toughness value (Age of darkness rulebook p242)"

Well, i heard, if you use phosphex in overwatch, you could put the charging unit in dangerous terrain, since you actually shoot before the charge roll is made and mess with the charge that way.

Im not so sure about that though, Lingering death says: "when a blast weapon with this rule is used", which is definitly the case, but then the part: "after the attack is resolved leave the blast marker in play" seems like kind of a problem for me, because, can you leave "the blast marker" (weird that is not called blast template here, but thats just the HH rulebook, i suppose, lol) if you didnt use one?!?

Is there a rule or something for that, because i think phosephex would just kinda lose the Lingering Death when shooting as part of a reaction.

What do you guys think about this? 

• Solution

That's not quite how it works. Wall of Death applies to Templates, which are the teardrop shape. You actually noticed that blasts aren't templates in the rules; they're markers. So, in a reaction a blast weapon would position the marker on the target model, roll the 2d6 and scatter dice, and then subtract ballistic skill from the scatter. Phosphex would then get to reposition from crawling fire and leave the template to create dangerous terrain.