Novamarines discussion thread

greatcrusade08

Hi guys

im looking to start a small novamarines project.

Im thinking of a themed infantry only force.

They tend to use lots of terminator suits and centurions, and are largely first born marines

Is there anything i missed?

Anyway i wanted to discuss viability of certain units within the context of an infantry only force.

First up is devestator centurions

1. Are they better than taking a unit of devestator marines
  2. Whats the best loudout considering context above

Secondly assault centurions or combat terminators?

Thirdly what HQ choice would be best, smash captain with vanguard or a terminator hero with a unit of the above.

I think with the drop in Armour of Contempt that Assault Terminators, particularly with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shields, will have more relevance. You can also get fairly consistent charges from Teleport by the use Commanding Oratory for use of the Canticle of Hate.

That makes up for the lack of mobility an all infantry force too.

I think Devastator Squads are very efficient and useful on the table. However, the Devastator Centurion Squad isn't the same sort of thing as it is a tenacious unit especially with Apothecary support.

I'd likely go with 1 of each really. Maybe even 2 Devastator squads and a Centurion squad.

As for Captain... well depends what you feel like? A Terminator Captain with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield can benefit from the Canticle of Hate as well as the squad he accompanies. He'll have a delicious 1+ save as well.

I'm using a Captain on a bike, with Thunder Hammer and Vengeance of Ultramar and the Paragon of War Warlord Trait. That's a utilitarian Captain and rolling Mortal Wounds is delicious.

I'd second looking at terminators as your main anvil unit. With the recent points cuts and just how things have worked over the past edition, storm shields/thunder hammer terminators will be a nice, solid unit that can take a hit and do some damage.

10 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

I'd likely go with 1 of each really. Maybe even 2 Devastator squads and a Centurion squad.

Thts what i was thinking, combat sqaud dev sqauds, 2 heavies in each, to split fire (taking different weapons) and have more meatshields

3 hours ago, greatcrusade08 said:

Are we thinking unit of ten with captain and chaplain support.

can chaplain use canticles after they teleport in?

You have to use the Commanding Oratory Strategum to use a magic prayer out of phase but yes, you can :wink:

3 hours ago, greatcrusade08 said:

Thts what i was thinking, combat sqaud dev sqauds, 2 heavies in each, to split fire (taking different weapons) and have more meatshields

Just so you know, you can split fire freely and with the points changes, each Devastator Marine costs 23pts but they get weapons for free.

So you're better off just taking a pair of Devastator squads (for 2 Sergeants to give a 2+ to hit for 1 model and 2 Cherubs) or a single 5 man squad for 4 weapons in that case, to save points.

Of course the current points is only until a new Codex/edition comes out so future proofing... I dunno.