Best use of Guilliman

Captain Idaho

Hail, Brothers.

Much like the fabled Star Dragon lists of old, using Guilliman is a heavy points investment as it does still require an HQ in any modern Arks of Omen Detachment. If you're not using the up to date rules your investment would be higher still.

Guilliman is a reasonably affordable 300pts now, which is still arguably too high but let's not quibble about that here. We saw Ultramarines win a tournament with him using a very unusual Ultramarines list last year, pre-Arks of Omen of course. This list had minimal Troops, lots of Dreadnoughts and a super heavy in the form of an Astraeus Grav tank.

What do we think are the most efficient ways of getting good mileage out of Guilliman right now?

This ranges from hyper competitive to just reasonable points efficency in more casual games, so all variants are welcome here.

I think with the points drops, Doctrine changes and changes to the Detachment building rules, Guilliman can be surrounded by forces that benefit from him more readily. He's still the combat monster he always was to add to that.

I'm going for 10 Terminators as a good start, with at least 2 Dreadnoughts to accompany him as well. (Most bodyguards are bigger than their charges anyway eh). Probably works even better with more Dreadnoughts around him or in the army too eh.

A Kratos provides the big bad. It isn't as survivable as an Astraeus obviously, but I'm also considering adding a Vindicator Laser Destroyer. Between the 2 of them I can threaten any hard target which might otherwise struggle with as a Marines player. Anti-infantry works well in Marines lists with Aggressors and Terminators generally anyway, so that's not an issue eh.

So lots of Dreadnoughts and swarms of tough infantry around the Lord of Ultramar, eh? Couple of big-bads for me to distract from the Dreadnought advance generally in my view, which I think was the idea in the aforementioned Astraeus build too.

Is there any call for massed infantry in some player's minds? I'm not sold on massed S4 shooting but mobile heavy weapons can run alongside Guilliman well enough too. Hellblasters and Devastators seem like a reasonable thing to run here to support an infantry build, both being Core as well so get plenty of benefits.

I'm going to be spamming a lot of autocannons with invictors and suppressors going down in points. Taking aggressors and a 10 man unit of terminators with an apothecary.  Lastly two units of devmarines with MM , Tiggy and another Librairan in Terminator Armour(Empyric Channel + smite w/Tiggy). Dreadnoughts I think are just gonna melt at 185 points and i'm tired of rolling 1 on macro plasma -_-

With the points drop, I'm ending up with something like this:

Guilliman

Tiggy

Primaris Chap + MOS, Purgatorus

Assault Intercessors x5 - 1 TH on Sgt

Heavy Intercessors x5 1HB

Heavy Intercessors x5 1HB

Incursors x5

Aggressors, Boltstorm x5

Bladeguard Veteran Squad x5 - Plasma Pistol

Primaris Apothecary, Chief Apothecary, Acquital, Selfless Healer

Primaris Ancient, Chapter Ancient, Standard of Macragge, Steadfast Example

Stormspeeder Hailstrike

Stormspeeder Hammerstrike

Gladiator Reaper

Gladiator Valiant

It's pretty much the same as before only I swapped Eradicators x5 for 2 Speeders, 2 Tanks, and 1 Incursors.  The Incursors infiltrate to the deep field sticky capping Objectives.  Guilliman runs around with his entourage of Aggressors, Bladeguard, characters, and probably the Assault Intercessors, Tiggy makes them harder to hit, the Chap picks up Guilliman's slack with Litanies.  The Ancient makes them ObSec, the Apothecary makes them reanimate like Fantasy Zombies.  The Speeders and Tanks can either flank anything coming after Guilliman, or race out to support the Incursors if there's anything else out there they can't handle.   Right now I'm still doing it with Batallion + Supreme Command as according to Battlescribe I have 11CP verus 5CP if I do it with AOO - I don't have the book yet to know all the in's and out's of the AOO det either.   Between the Incursors Sticky Capping the Deep Field, and the moving castle sticky capping the contested areas due to the Assault Intercessors I'm hoping to get to score a lot of empty objectives as my models move on to other places.

Seems like the points drops enables us to have our cakes and eat it.

With AoO you get to have a focus on whatever compulsory choices you want which means you could have less Troops if you like.

I'm liking the list mind. Solid core backing up Guilliman. I'm considering similar to be fair.

The old list was Basically the same without the speeders, Incursors, and Tanks, and I had 5 Eradicators running around the the core so I had Assault Aggressors, Assault (Melta Rifle, no upgraded weapons) Eradicators, and Bladeguard running around with a character bubble that among other things gave them increased Advance distance (And charge for the power fist Aggressors and the Bladeguard).  The boost to Advance and Charge was I think overlooked for him.